• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Crean's contract is 6 years, $3.2M per year. That's a decent chunk of change.

Yeesh thats a bad deal. Don't see how Crean can do better at Georgia than he did at Indiana.

I generally agree with you, but Matta & Crean are unusual candidates. I know you think Crean is weird, but I still think he can coach.

It's the hiring of guys like Tubby Smith, Kevin Stallings, and Kermit Davis that I don't understand.

But you absolutely have young coaches getting shots at Power V jobs... Shaka is too obvious, I know... But Mike White & Will Wade are hires that will probably work out well.

I'm with you on the other two but Kermit Davis isn't like the other two. Dude has built a hell of a program at MTSU and deserves a shot somewhere.

Woof. No way he should be able to demand even close to that much money.

I'm with you on the other two but Kermit Davis isn't like the other two. Dude has built a hell of a program at MTSU and deserves a shot somewhere.

That isn't a dig at was Davis has done at MTSU. I guess I shouldn't have lumped him in w/ Tubby & Stallings (though Tubby has been pretty good at a few places). I was more saying that you have 16 years of data on Davis at MTSU... Not a ton of upside there. You know what you are getting, for better or for worse.

UGA will be looking for new coach in about 6 years with little to show for their $20 million investment.

Crean's agent and the coaching search agency that UGA hired to arrange the deal will be laughing their arses to the bank.

does Crean need to throw $100k to Matta for publicly setting the price?

Yeesh thats a bad deal. Don't see how Crean can do better at Georgia than he did at Indiana.

He doesn't need to do better. If he wins 2 conference titles and goes to 3 sweet 16s as he did at IU, he'll get a raise at Georgia.

There is more to Crean's resume than just Indiana. He did a really good job at Marquette. Obviously having Dwayne Wade helped quite a bit, but his last team there was better than any team Buzz Williams had (per KP), as were two of the DWade teams. Obviously Indiana was up and down a bit, but it isn't like he fell on his face either. After the initial rebuild, his worst team was the 48th best in the country. He is the classic really high floor guy, maybe not super high ceiling guy.

Hearing rumors that Larranaga is stepping down at Miami. No source to offer yet.

Pittsburgh search is becoming a dumpster fire, and having everyone transfer isn't going to help their cause. It seems likely that they'll be even worse next year, no matter who the coach is.

Hearing rumors that Larranaga is stepping down at Miami. No source to offer yet.

Pittsburgh search is becoming a dumpster fire, and having everyone transfer isn't going to help their cause. It seems likely that they'll be even worse next year, no matter who the coach is.

Wonder if they are going to present evidence he paid recruits to Miami.

I keep hearing Rick Pitino's name being floated for some of these openings... Seems WAY too early for that. Seems like he'd need a year (or more) off before anyone could even consider hiring him. And that's assuming things don't get worse for his reputation in the meantime.

On the plus side, he'll be available if/when we get rid of Manning. I'd sell my soul for Rick Pitino @ Wake.

Do you still have any eligibility left?

They are trying to fire Stallings for cause, using the following incidents as cause (per the Pitt board): Louisville PR incident, Stallings skipping a football luncheon, and Stallings falling asleep in the stands during an AAU tournament. If there isn't more meat to it than that, they are going to have a really hard time convincing a coach that the admin won't try to screw him over if things don't go well (especially since they pushed out Dixon).

Crean is a douche who will not age well.

The State of GA produces a lot of talent ; so, if he can keep just some of the best in-state talent in Athens, then GA should make the NCAAs more than they miss the tourney, but 15 years from now, there will be, at best, a vague recollection that Tom Crean coached for a few seasons. He is not worth the $20 million that UGA just committed to pay, and they missed an opportunity to hire a younger BMF coach that, would be riskier, but also have a higher upside.

Crean is a douche who will not age well.

The State of GA produces a lot of talent ; so, if he can keep just some of the best in-state talent in Athens, then GA should make the NCAAs more than they miss the tourney, but 15 years from now, there will be, at best, a vague recollection that Tom Crean coached for a few seasons. He is not worth the $20 million that UGA just committed to pay, and they missed an opportunity to hire a younger BMF coach that, would be riskier, but also have a higher upside.

His daughter is trying to become a famous fashion blogger or something: http://poshprime.com

He will need every penny he makes to support her lifestyle as an unemployed Los Angeles fashionista with expensive taste.

Is someone actually criticizing a college coach for having a cute daughter who likes to pose and blog about fashion? C'mon people.

Back