• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

UGA will be looking for new coach in about 6 years with little to show for their $20 million investment.

Crean's agent and the coaching search agency that UGA hired to arrange the deal will be laughing their arses to the bank.

I will have to disagree. With the SEC having added Mike Tranghese as a basketball consultant, they have come up now from a 3 team NCAA league to an 8 team league. They have done this by him having meetings with all the schools & AD's to toughen their schedules, adding the Big 12-SEC Challenge, upgrade their facilities and spend money on good coaches. They have done this by getting top names in Howland at Miss St, Avery Johnson at Bama, Rick Barnes at UT, Cuonzo Martin at Mizzou and now Tom Crean at UGa. They already have Cal at UK & Mike White at Florida. UGa has the money to make all the changes they need and I believe they will get it done, just like the rest of the SEC has done.

The PAC-12 & Big Ten need to take notice. And in the next few years, the ACC will have to replace the geriatric crowd of Boeheim, Coach K, Roy, Hamilton & Larranaga. We will all have to keep up with young guns Bennett & Keatts.

I will have to disagree. With the SEC having added Mike Tranghese as a basketball consultant, they have come up now from a 3 team NCAA league to an 8 team league. They have done this by him having meetings with all the schools & AD's to toughen their schedules, adding the Big 12-SEC Challenge, upgrade their facilities and spend money on good coaches. They have done this by getting top names in Howland at Miss St, Avery Johnson at Bama, Rick Barnes at UT, Cuonzo Martin at Mizzou and now Tom Crean at UGa. They already have Cal at UK & Mike White at Florida. UGa has the money to make all the changes they need and I believe they will get it done, just like the rest of the SEC has done.

The PAC-12 & Big Ten need to take notice. And in the next few years, the ACC will have to replace the geriatric crowd of Boeheim, Coach K, Roy, Hamilton & Larranaga. We will all have to keep up with young guns Bennett & Keatts.

Holy crap, is TheReff now pimping SEC basketball, too? Have you no shame?

Off the wall candidate, but Brian Wardle. He played for and coached under Crean at Marquette.

Green Bay
2010-11: 158
2011-12: 175
2012-13: 126
2013-14: 71
2014-15: 71
Bradley
2015-16: 323
2016-17: 217
2017-18: 125

Next year's team returns 6 of the 8 rotation players, only one of whom was a significant contributor, so I would expect a nice leap forward. Really, my only concern with him is he is a midwest guy.

ETA: wrong thread, but whatever. Calling it now that he will be a name thrown out for lots of jobs next year.

Last edited:
The answer is he doesn't have any shame.

No, actually I am just giving you the facts which you don't want to hear RJ & unca. I forgot but Billy Kennedy should have been on my list of good SEC coaches, seeing how he is 346-276 lifetime & 135-97 overall at A&M including the SEC COY in 2016. Not to mention his butt whipping he put on the Tar Holes today. But they have greatly upgraded their coaches in the past 5 years with Howland, Johnson, Martin, Barnes, White & Pearl to go along with Coach Cal, Mike Anderson & Frank Martin from the list of good & great SEC basketball coaches. The ACC is going to have to replace a LOT of HOFers in the next few years. We better hope we can keep up with the likes of Tony Bennett's & Kevin Keatts types! RJ just thinks he knows basketball. He don't know shit because he is out there watching all that PAC-12 junk every night.

They have done this by getting top names in Howland at Miss St, Avery Johnson at Bama, Rick Barnes at UT, Cuonzo Martin at Mizzou and now Tom Crean at UGa.

Rick Barnes hasn't coached at UT since 2015.

Sure but TheReff was talking about SEC schools. The joke falls flat.

Can't the ACC just hire the good coaches from the SEC ?

Ryan Odom's current contract is 7 years at $230K a year; the UMBC AD has already offered to renegotiate the deal.

Would think Charlotte would consider Odom for that job. According to a Charlotte Observer article, the candidates for the 49ers are:

Board flavor of the month John Pelphrey (he is an assistant at Alabama)
Joe Dooley (FGCU)
Steve Forbes (ETSU)
Earl Grant (Charleston)
GOAT Wes Miller (UNCG)
Mike Young (Wofford)
Hubert Davis
Jon Schyer

That’s a good list.

Funny to see Pelphrey's name on that list... He was a young "up and comer" from the board's past that didn't really work out. That'd be a good gig for him, though.

Would love to see them hire Scheyer because:
1) The entertainment value of Scheyer-face on the sidelines
2) It would get him out of Durham, where I think he's become a solid recruiter

It's actually a pretty solid list. I could see us hiring a successful coach from UNCC at some point in the future... Seems like it would be a good stepping stone type job for someone trying to get into the ACC, though I guess that hasn't happened in the past.

They should bring Lutz back. Or has he already taken his name out of consideration?

Yeah but half of those aren't even remotely realistic

Yeah but half of those aren't even remotely realistic

Probably not, but the A10 is a real step up from most mid & low major conferences. I have to imagine it ranks right below the "Power 6" (along w/ the AAC). If you do well in the A10, you can get a good Power 6 job.

ETA: I AM A MORON. I REALIZE UNCC IS CUSA, NOT A10. SORRY.

Last edited:
Can't the ACC just hire the good coaches from the SEC ?

Will Bruce Pearl be available in about 3 weeks when he gets canned (finally) for insubordination (inexcusable after losing to Clemson)?

Funny to see Pelphrey's name on that list... He was a young "up and comer" from the board's past that didn't really work out. That'd be a good gig for him, though.

Would love to see them hire Scheyer because:
1) The entertainment value of Scheyer-face on the sidelines
2) It would get him out of Durham, where I think he's become a solid recruiter

It's actually a pretty solid list. I could see us hiring a successful coach from UNCC at some point in the future... Seems like it would be a good stepping stone type job for someone trying to get into the ACC, though I guess that hasn't happened in the past.

UNC Charlotte is a relative newcomer as a midmajor. Think you're right about them becoming a stepping stone in the future. It will be easy for at least some ACC ADs to see the coach there perform. Could be goods news/bad news as more knowledge will reveal warts as well as showing good performance.

Back