• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

UNCC to hire UVa assistant Ron Sanchez. He's been mentioned on these boards.

Actually a really impressive hire. Sad they will be better than us in short time.

Agreed. I was really impressed with what I've read about him. The good news is if he's successful at UNCC, we could get him to come to Wake.

I had no idea about Terry Porter on down that list of current coaches. I passed by Grand Canyon University last week. I had only heard of it through hoops. Had no idea Thunder Dan was the head coach.

Agreed. I was really impressed with what I've read about him. The good news is if he's successful at UNCC, we could get him to come to Wake.

The timing could work out depending on how long we stick with Manning.

Perhaps, I am the only one that finds contract details fascinating, but here are the terms of the Ole Miss/Kermit Davis deal:

Base salary: 4 years $2.5 million per year (realize Davis did well at MTSU, but that is a lot of money to pay a coach that did not appear to have a ton of other options and was probably making between $500K and $750K at MTSU; would Davis not have taken the job had Ole Miss offered $1.75 per year?).

- Ole Miss buys out the remaining years of the MTSU contract

- $50,000 and $75,000 attendance bonus rewards (easier to meet with a larger seating capacity)
- $150K for winning 12 or more SEC games
- $50K for finishing in the top 4 in the SEC regular season
- $100K for winning the SEC regular season
- $50K for winning the SEC tourney
- $50K for making the NCAA tourney
- $25K for each NCAA tourney win
- $125K for making the Final 4
- $250K for winning the Natty
- $50K for winning the SEC COY
- $75K for wining the national COY
- $50K if the Ole Miss roster's APR is over 950
- $75K if the Ole Miss roster APR is over 975

$900K pool to pay three assistant coaches.

https://hoopdirt.com/ole-miss-releases-kermit-davis-contract-details/

Also, Winston-Salem State failed to renew the contract of head coach James Wilhemi after 4 seasons. WSSU went 5-22 this past year.

Last edited:
Perhaps, I am the only one that finds contract details fascinating, but here are the terms of the Ole Miss/Kermit Davis deal:

Base salary: 4 years $2.5 million per year (realize Davis did well at MTSU, but that is a lot of money to pay a coach that did not appear to have a ton of other options and was probably making between $500K and $750K at MTSU; would Davis not have taken the job had Ole Miss offered $1.75 per year?).

- Ole Miss buys out the remaining years of the MTSU contract

- $50,000 and $75,000 attendance bonus rewards (easier to meet with a larger seating capacity)
- $150K for winning 12 or more SEC games
- $50K for finishing in the top 4 in the SEC regular season
- $100K for winning the SEC regular season
- $50K for winning the SEC tourney
- $50K for making the NCAA tourney
- $25K for each NCAA tourney win
- $125K for making the Final 4
- $250K for winning the Natty
- $50K for winning the SEC COY
- $75K for wining the national COY
- $50K if the Ole Miss roster's APR is over 950
- $75K if the Ole Miss roster APR is over 975

$900K pool to pay three assistant coaches.

https://hoopdirt.com/ole-miss-releases-kermit-davis-contract-details/

Also, Winston-Salem State failed to renew the contract of head coach James Wilhemi after 4 seasons. WSSU went 5-22 this past year.

I think it's a keeping up with a Joneses issues where if they pay "too little" they think they will be perceived as not serious about winning. Both Joe Moorhead and Jeremy Pruitt actually negotiated to lower their salaries in turn for bigger assistant pools. Meanwhile, it isn't like Pruitt had any other $3.0M+ year opportunities or Moorhead any other $2.0M+ / year opportunities.

According to HoopDirt, Ryan Odom and Joe Dooley (FGCU) are considered to be the front runners for the ECU job.

According to HoopDirt, Ryan Odom and Joe Dooley (FGCU) are considered to be the front runners for the ECU job.

Interesting, Joe Dooley was the head coach at ECU almost 20 years ago. He was fired, but in retrospect his record there was better than most: 57-52 (30-36). Rare that a coach gets fired, and then is rehired 18 years later (coaches have left to take another job and then comeback to a school - Dave Leitao DePaul, but can't think of another coach who was fired, and then re-hired years later).

BTW, Dave Odom head coached ECU, and he left (IIRC, by mutual agreement) to be the top assistant at UVA.

Tough job.

If I am Chris Mack, I look at the Louisville job and am very skeptical. Interim President. Interim AD. Probation.
Billboards wanting the chair of the Board to quit and the interim president to be let go. Accreditation issues with SACCS. Financial issues - $48 million deficit. Big donor just pulled about $5 million.

Yep...he's got a job for life in a P6 conference. Use L'ville for mo money at X.

Has to be life changing money for Mack to take the job. BTW, because of the uncertainty surrounding the program, L'ville has zero committed recruits for next year. They lose their center and their PG. L'ville will be a rebuild not a re-load.

Back