• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Penny's high school team that he just left has 3 Top 40 2019 players, including #1 James Wiseman. After getting announced yesterday, 4* 2018 PG Alex Lomax, from that same high school, got released from his NLI with Wichita St to sign with UM. Will remain to be seen how Penny does overall, but he is going to crush recruiting and make life tough on a lot of the blue blood programs.

He needs to get Wiseman to reclassify. By June 2019, it wouldn't be surprising to have a new agreement with the NBA that will allow him to go to some form of the NBA.

Penny's high school team that he just left has 3 Top 40 2019 players, including #1 James Wiseman. After getting announced yesterday, 4* 2018 PG Alex Lomax, from that same high school, got released from his NLI with Wichita St to sign with UM. Will remain to be seen how Penny does overall, but he is going to crush recruiting and make life tough on a lot of the blue blood programs.
Penny's way cooler than Danny.

Penny's way cooler than Danny.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out... They took two different roads to head coaching jobs. Penny has been coaching AAU & high school ball (w/ success, from what I can tell)... Danny spent a long time on the bench at KU.

Agree that Penny is a lot cooler than Danny, but it's been over a decade since Penny was in the NBA (and even longer since he was a big deal).

Saw that Penny made well over $100mil in the NBA. I've heard people around here question Danny's motivation to coach when he doesn't really need the money... I can't imagine money is a consideration for Penny, either.

And this is why some people felt that Hardaway was undercutting Tubby Smith. Why wasn't the 4* guard already committed to Memphis and Tubby? Did Penny not have enough influence with the players to convince them to go to his alma mater and hometown school or did he not have the "want to" to make that happen?

Penny needs someone around him who knows the NCAA rule book. Larry Brown doesn't much care. I'm guessing Penny didn't have to follow many rules at his HS and no real rules in AAU.

Penny needs someone around him who knows the NCAA rule book. Larry Brown doesn't much care. I'm guessing Penny didn't have to follow many rules at his HS and no real rules in AAU.

Tony Madlock has already been announced as part of the staff... 20 years of college coaching and took over at Ole Miss when Andy Kennedy left late in the season.

Penny, himself, has joked that he has compliance on speed dial since he doesn't know a lot of the rules & regulations.

Maybe he should hire Worldwide Wes' personal assistant...

And this is why some people felt that Hardaway was undercutting Tubby Smith. Why wasn't the 4* guard already committed to Memphis and Tubby? Did Penny not have enough influence with the players to convince them to go to his alma mater and hometown school or did he not have the "want to" to make that happen?

He might have been undercutting Tubby some, but with good reason. The parallels between what [Redacted] did to Wake and what Tubby did to Memphis are pretty striking. Memphis attendance had plummeted to the worst in 48 years, and they were projected to lost over $4 million next year. No commits from Top 150 players. Penny might not have been telling kids not to go to UM, but I dont think he was that encouraging either.

Tony Madlock has already been hired as an assistant. He has been an Ole Miss assistant and finished as interim HC after Kennedy stepped down. Teammate of Penny's at UM.

You have all these rules, and you think they will save you.

He might have been undercutting Tubby some, but with good reason. The parallels between what [Redacted] did to Wake and what Tubby did to Memphis are pretty striking. Memphis attendance had plummeted to the worst in 48 years, and they were projected to lost over $4 million next year. No commits from Top 150 players. Penny might not have been telling kids not to go to UM, but I dont think he was that encouraging either.

Tony Madlock has already been hired as an assistant. He has been an Ole Miss assistant and finished as interim HC after Kennedy stepped down. Teammate of Penny's at UM.

Tubby went 9-9 and 10-8 in conference. No parallel to [Redacted].

Posted on a different thread, but Dana Ford is taking Missouri State job... Which probably means that Steve Woodberry isn't going anywhere. He had ties to the program and was a rumored candidate.

Would seem to be a shit hire.

Against a terribly easy schedule. And the apathy around both programs was very similar.

I mean [Redacted] won fewer games in his entire first season than Tubby won just during the conference portion of his first season. Their shittiness really doesn't compare.

Apathy, maybe, but that says more about the Memphis fanbase than it does about Tubby, doesn't it? The roster was super young this year, and they still won 21 games.

Against a terribly easy schedule. And the apathy around both programs was very similar.

Might have been less apathy if local kids had stayed home and played at Memphis. Instead it seems they were encouraged to look farther from home for their college basketball experience.

I mean [Redacted] won fewer games in his entire first season than Tubby won just during the conference portion of his first season. Their shittiness really doesn't compare.

Apathy, maybe, but that says more about the Memphis fanbase than it does about Tubby, doesn't it? The roster was super young this year, and they still won 21 games.

They won 21 games and didnt even get in the NIT. That tells you everything.

Back