• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

I will agree that we know little about his ability to recruit, but his team was well coached. You can watch Manning's team's inept defensive plan and over dribbling guards and know that talent is not the biggest problem.

Correspondingly, you can watch UMBC or UNCG and see teams with solid defensive game plans playing with passion and playing as a team.

If that does not mean something, I don't know what to tell you.

Wake basketball this year was a disjointed garbage product and that is a direct reflection on coaching.

Thanks for the hot take.

UMBC's players gave twice the effort that Manning's teams put forth.

I have no issue for WHY we hired Manning. High upside pick with enough results so that it wasn't a batshit crazy gamble. But he can't coach, it didn't work out, time to move on.

I have no issue for WHY we hired Manning. High upside pick with enough results so that it wasn't a batshit crazy gamble. But he can't coach, it didn't work out, time to move on.

Agree with this--it's time to move on, but Manning was not an unreasonable hire--particularly as a second or possibly third choice. With his KU coaching pedigree, I am not sure you could predict that he either didn't care about defense, doesn't understand how to coach it, or a combination of both.

Agree with this--it's time to move on, but Manning was not an unreasonable hire--particularly as a second or possibly third choice. With his KU coaching pedigree, I am not sure you could predict that he either didn't care about defense, doesn't understand how to coach it, or a combination of both.

why, is kansas known as a lock down defensive program like the programs bob huggins runs?

It was a reach hire. Hiring anyone who inherited pretty much the entire roster from his predecessor is a reach hire. For someone who had been in college basketball as long as he had been, Manning had about as little recruiting experience in 2014 as possible. That's the reach element. From a risk perspective, he was closer to a top assistant rather than the other mid-major names floating around the boards. He had a John Groce in 2010 type profile...

I do agree that defense was literally the last thing on my list of concerns.

why, is kansas known as a lock down defensive program like the programs bob huggins runs?

During Manning's tenure as a proper assistant, Kansas's defensive efficiency: 2nd, 1st, 1st, 11th, 8th, 6th, 3rd.

And, of course, the standout thing about his Tulsa tenure was that they went from 131st in year 1 to 51st in year 2. I kind of wonder if the assistant that did not come over was his defensive gameplanning guru or something?

Relative talent levels have a lot to do with such numbers.

La Salle filed John Giannini after 14 years. He was on the short list for the WF job when WF hired Skip.

Looked like Wake was going to hire John Beilein before Skip put his name in the hat late in the process.

MTSU hired Nick McDevitt. Will be interesting to see how he does at a higher level.

Relative talent levels have a lot to do with such numbers.

Clarify your statement as the efficiency figures are all adjusted based on competition. We can’t pretend in 4 years DM hasn’t had more talent while playing harder competition than his Tulsa team.
This has been the biggest head scratcher for me as he has not found a combination of 5 players with the least bit ability to guard anyone.

When you play against better talent, your shortcomings are more visible. When you play against better coaching the same is true.

Add to the above, that he was stuck with a lot of players for a couple of years.

During Year 3, Danny had a clear choice. We could have been mediocre on D on offense by having JC and Bryant play more intense or been great on offense and below average on D. His choice got us to The Dance.

This year, we were never going to be good on D. It's not just about effort. Wilbekin plays hard on every play and has a high bball IQ. In no way, can that ever make up for his lack of speed, quickness and size. The same is true about Key. Thompson should have been benched after about 3-5 ACC games.

What's on Danny is the players he has. Assuming the new guys are as good as advertised and Craw returns, there's no excuse not to have improved D next year. For the first time, we will be athletic and full-sized. We won't be perfect, but there's no reason not to improve.

When you play against better talent, your shortcomings are more visible. When you play against better coaching the same is true.

Add to the above, that he was stuck with a lot of players for a couple of years.

During Year 3, Danny had a clear choice. We could have been mediocre on D on offense by having JC and Bryant play more intense or been great on offense and below average on D. His choice got us to The Dance.

This year, we were never going to be good on D. It's not just about effort. Wilbekin plays hard on every play and has a high bball IQ. In no way, can that ever make up for his lack of speed, quickness and size. The same is true about Key. Thompson should have been benched after about 3-5 ACC games.

What's on Danny is the players he has. Assuming the new guys are as good as advertised and Craw returns, there's no excuse not to have improved D next year. For the first time, we will be athletic and full-sized. We won't be perfect, but there's no reason not to improve.

The above reasons are why some here are in favor of giving Manning another year. He should have all the pieces in place, and the '"stop gap" guys he grabbed with no time to recruit and the Bz stench still very much upon the program will be gone.

Danny came from pedigree that said he should be able to coach some defense. He was extremely reluctant to change from defenses that require really good individual defensive capabilities to be effective. That is probably part of his learning curve. I suspect that at both Kansas and Tulsa he had guys who were as good as or better than most of their competition. That isn't the case at Wake. He may have underestimated the difficulty in changing that.

I don’t disagree, but the roster is a Crawf or Moore departure away from being pretty bad as far as next season goes.

Another coaching guy to keep an eye on is Nathan Davis at Bucknell. He has them at the top of their league every year. One negative is that he has never coached (head or assistant) at any P6 school. Colgate, Navy and Bucknell are his only stops. That might not translate well into a P6 recruiting eye.

I don’t disagree, but the roster is a Crawf or Moore departure away from being pretty bad as far as next season goes.

The roster was pretty bad with Crawford and Moore.

The roster was pretty bad with Crawford and Moore.

If those two stay, for 2018-2019 there are arriving recruits who fit into the biggest areas of need: PF and SF. If the freshmen meet reasonable expectations for recruits of their ranking, and Crawford plays like a guy who is in his fourth season starting, Wake could be pretty good. There won't be much depth, as several of the guys who would be playing backup minutes have left.

Only if Manning improves his rotations and players actually improve. Sure Crawford/Brown/Mucius/Hoard/Moore looks like a good roster on paper, but will Manning play that lineup?

Back