• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Brownell was told by Clemson brass after last season that it was an NCAA tourney appearance this year or he was history.

Clemson will get in but the team is struggling down the stretch losing its last 3. The finishing schedule is nicer though with GT & F$U at home and Syracuse on the road.

I'd say its still 50/50 if he gets that extension, as deep down Clemson could care less about basketball.

All the more reason to fire Manning and get Crean in here as soon as possible.

(Anybody got a friend in the FBI to see if Crean was involved?)

Wake will not voluntarily hire a new basketball coach until the FBI investigation results are out. Second tallest coach in NCAA basketball will be on the bench for Wake next season.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/22505255/the-coaches-hot-seat-index

ESPN insider article that goes through every coach in the top seven conferences.

Only 10/10 for getting fired is Mark Fox @ UGA.
9/10 - Kent @ WSU, Leitao @ Depaul, Ollie @ UConn
8/10 (Could go either way) - Chambers @ Penn State, Stallings @ Pitt

I don't think WSU can afford to fire Kent. I think they would owe him around $8 million and nearly every penny has gone to football. He deserves to be fired.

All the more reason to fire Manning and get Crean in here as soon as possible.

(Anybody got a friend in the FBI to see if Crean was involved?)

Tom Crean? Do not want. Just a weird guy who takes himself way too seriously (certainly, not as odd as [], but on the same scale). A red flag for me is when a coach lacks a sense of humor and that is Crean to a T. He is also 51, and his ability to relate to HS recruits is on the way down. Finally, he was raised and coached exclusively in the Midwest (which probably would appeal to Wellman); while not a deal breaker, ideally the WF coach would have a connection to the ACC area.

Last edited:
Brownell was told by Clemson brass after last season that it was an NCAA tourney appearance this year or he was history.

Clemson will get in but the team is struggling down the stretch losing its last 3. The finishing schedule is nicer though with GT & F$U at home and Syracuse on the road.

I'd say its still 50/50 if he gets that extension, as deep down Clemson could care less about basketball.

Absent a Dino like collapse to end Clemson's season (e.g., an upset loss to WF in the ACC tourney in 5/13 matchup and then a first round NCAA exit); I just can't see Clemson failing to extend Brownell. They lost one of their better players just when ACC play was getting ramped up, and they managed to hang in there. He is not the most dynamic guy, but he is a solid coach.

Last edited:
The FBI (and other) investigations will definitely energize the carousel this year. There may be a lot of big name coaches deciding that it's time to retire and spend more time with family. Is there any way Sean Miller survives at AZ?

be surprised if Miller survives until Monday. I also think Izzo is done at MSU once everything shakes out

Bilas made it sound like Miller will be lucky to coach again let alone tonight.
His contract gives him 85% of its total value if he is fired by cause. That’s unreal.

Tom Crean? Do not want. Just a weird guy who takes himself way too seriously (certainly, not as odd as [], but on the same scale). A red flag for me is when a coach lacks a sense of humor and that is Crean to a T. He is also 51, and his ability to relate to HS recruits is on the way down. Finally, he was raised and coached exclusively in the Midwest (which probably would appeal to Wellman); while not a deal breaker, ideally the WF coach would have a connection to the ACC area.

Crean-IN

#bringbacktheswagger #moxy #creanygoodness

Bilas made it sound like Miller will be lucky to coach again let alone tonight.
His contract gives him 85% of its total value if he is fired by cause. That’s unreal.

There are so many terrible ADs out there.

Greg Byrne, who negotiated that contract, is now at Alabama. No doubt he was hand-picked by Saban. Now we know why.

Saw the coaches salaries the other day.

Chris Holtmann - Ohio State - #3 $7.1/yr

Shaka - #11 at $3.1M/yr

Izzo seems under paid at $4.3M

That sane article had Manning at 1.75. Comparing to Buzz Williams who was hired weeks before, he is at 2.7
I know Wake wasn’t getting Buzz, but did Ron go looking with a “light bag”?

The more interesting number is Shaka Smart at $3.1 million. I'm sure Wake offered Shaka a big raise from his VCU salary, but it probably wasn't the near top 10 money Texas gave him.

The more interesting number is Shaka Smart at $3.1 million. I'm sure Wake offered Shaka a big raise from his VCU salary, but it probably wasn't the near top 10 money Texas gave him.

It was absolutely a lot more than Danny got. He didn't turn us down because of money.

BTW, Shaka has come in last and next to last (w/one game remaining this yuear) in the B12 over the past two seasons.

Last edited:
It was absolutely a lot more than Danny got. He didn't turn us down because of money.

BTW, Shaka has come in last and next to last (w/one game remaining this yuear) in the B12 over the past two seasons.

He just needs 3 more years RJ and he will be fine :thumbsup:

He's got a Top 5 pick in the middle and about other five Top 60 or so guys on this squad.

Back