• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

It was absolutely a lot more than Danny got. He didn't turn us down because of money.

BTW, Shaka has come in last and next to last (w/one game remaining this yuear) in the B12 over the past two seasons.

So you know that Shaka turned down a Wake offer that (you know how?) was above $2 million per, yet accepted an offer from Texas for over $3 million, yet you know it wasn't about the money?????

So you know that Shaka turned down a Wake offer that (you know how?) was above $2 million per, yet accepted an offer from Texas for over $3 million, yet you know it wasn't about the money?????
RJ is full of shit re:Shaka.

Can someone explain to me why schools, when they are in desperate situations, don’t drop a massive number on the best possible coach? Wouldn’t the couple million extra spent on the front end be made back very quickly, directly with ticket sales and tv; and indirectly with perception and recruiting? Seems to be a no brained to me.

VCU matched the WFU offer...the next year when Texas came calling, the VCU brass told Shaka they were done with matching every offer. Shaka's wife likes Austin more than Winston = 10 gallon hat time for the Smart family.

Yep. the deals weren't that far apart.

I have a feeling Wake is going to pull a surprise and fire Manning.

No chance. The only chance for a coaching change after Tuesday would be if Manning decided on his own that he wanted to step down, which I would put at less than 1%.

Thad Matta met with Ole Miss over the weekend:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/college/othercolleges/2018/03/04/report-matta-meets-ole-miss-replacing-andy-kennedy/394129002/

Wish he would stay off the sidelines one more season to give us another candidate

I wonder if he is healthy enough to get back into coaching so soon. As much as I hate him bc he coached at OSU, Wake could desperately use him. The only year he didn't get 20 wins at OSU was his final one. Also, he's a former Xavier guy, so there is that.

Last edited:
Larry Hunter is stepping down after 13 years at Western Carolina. Hunter is 68, and had coached college hoop for 41 years. In his first year as a college coach, he won the D3 National Championship at Wittenberg University in Ohio. In 1989, Ohio U hired Hunter, where he coached Gary Trent (the dad of the Duke stud frosh) to a 1994 NCAA Tourney appearance. In 2001, Ohio fired Hunter despite a 19-11 (12-6 record). Hunter then served on Herb Sendek's staff at NC State, until Hunter landed the WCU job in 2005. Hunter won two regular season division titles at WCU, and made the post-season twice (never the NCAAs).

Wouldn't be surprised to see WCU again look for an ACC assistant to replace Hunter.

Larry Hunter is stepping down after 13 years at Western Carolina. Hunter is 68, and had coached college hoop for 41 years. In his first year as a college coach, he won the D3 National Championship at Wittenberg University in Ohio. In 1989, Ohio U hired Hunter, where he coached Gary Trent (the dad of the Duke stud frosh) to a 1994 NCAA Tourney appearance. In 2001, Ohio fired Hunter despite a 19-11 (12-6 record). Hunter then served on Herb Sendek's staff at NC State, until Hunter landed the WCU job in 2005. Hunter won two regular season division titles at WCU, and made the post-season twice (never the NCAAs).

Wouldn't be surprised to see WCU again look for an ACC assistant to replace Hunter.

Take Childress ! Please !

Rumors swirling that Memphis may fire Tubby Smith and hire Penny Hardaway. In addition to coaching HS hoop in Memphis, Hardaway runs an AAU program that is stocked with talent: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22672236/memphis-tigers-looking-firing-tubby-smith-bringing-penny-hardaway

tumblr_mmgdrh0kS21rtgem1o1_400.gif

Back