• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

uconn is an AWFUL job right now
Ollie should've left for a better job the second after he won that championship. Didn't he have NBA interest? His head coaching career is probably over forever now.

Pitt hasn't fired three coaches in this decade. If Wake fires Manning this year, that will be the case at Wake.

And they just did fire Stallings. Maybe we can hire Stallings after Wellman gets around to firing Manning in another couple of years.

Yeah, if Pitt goes and gets Matta given the state of their program, that would be a huge win for them. And Manning, Christian, and Pastner would be the clear bottom-barrel coaches in the conference.

If that comes to pass and Matta is past his health issues, then I might just give up on Wake sports entirely. Close to unplugging as it is.

If that comes to pass and Matta is past his health issues, then I might just give up on Wake sports entirely. Close to unplugging as it is.

Wow, the I am going to quit following WF Sports threat! That is some bold stuff. Hope the athletic department survives.

Ollie is out at UConn. They claim he's being fired for just cause.

This could get messy

Was looking at Loyola (MD)'s wiki page since they let go their head coach.

What Prosser did there was incredible. They were 2-25 the year before he was hired then went 17-13 and to the tournament in his one and only season as head coach.

Wow, the I am going to quit following WF Sports threat! That is some bold stuff. Hope the athletic department survives.

Hardly a threat...why single me out for an expression of frustration when many folks here lament the state of our program all the time?? Douche move.

I like your posts and I don't criticize you for expressing your opinion. Why make something out of nothing when I'm just asserting that my sense of caring has diminished greatly? Are you jealous of my ability to distance myself emotionally and watch Wake BB coldly and analytically? LOL

If anything the AD (and dept as a whole) should be worried about such a pervasive feeling of apathy creeping in because I'm sure there are many folks, graduates of MSD included, who have long since checked out and probably will never come back to support the Deacs they way they used to.

But carry on with your condescending judgment rendering...

Was looking at Loyola (MD)'s wiki page since they let go their head coach.

What Prosser did there was incredible. They were 2-25 the year before he was hired then went 17-13 and to the tournament in his one and only season as head coach.

I remember that team upsetting everyone en route to an NCAA Tourney bid by running through the MAAC with a storybook weekend of play. In fact, I'm pretty sure my father (who lurks on this board) and I were stunned that Loyola was able to beat Siena (whom we followed closely living in Albany) that year. Looking at their BB reference page, looks like that Prosser team didn't play much D either (266th in pts allowed), but simply caught fire offensively that weekend.

Speaking of Siena, really wish we had gone after Fran McCaffery, who had a lovely 3 year run at Siena in the late aughts with a couple of upset first round wins as coach of the Saints. They beat OSU in 2009 before losing to Louisville after leading late in the 2nd half before fading down the stretch. Go figure, Fran played (ahem, went to Wake as I can't find any record of him playing a game) at Wake.

Would have been a much more sensible hire in 2010 than you know who!

Last edited:
Mark Fox out at Georgia.

Kinda surprising.
He was definitely on the ot seat, but had some pretty good wins in the past week or two.
Thought that may have given him another year.
UGA is never going to be a regular top-tier basketball school

Fox has been a dead man walking all season. Needed more than a couple of late wins to keep his job.

It’s going to be supremely frustrating to me when UConn and Pitt both make good hires and don’t suck in a couple of years, while we continue to flail.

Kinda surprising.
He was definitely on the ot seat, but had some pretty good wins in the past week or two.
Thought that may have given him another year.
UGA is never going to be a regular top-tier basketball school

David Carter, assistant coach at GA might be a guy to look at if an assistant spot opens at Wake. Former HC at Nevada with pretty good success there. He is a west coast guy, though. California and St Mary's College. Holds St. Mary's assist record.

Pitt will be an interesting case study in a few years, as they are absolutely terrible right now.

If they finish above Wake in the next couple of years, Manning should immediately be let go.

Back