• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

UConn also had a lot of the success with Calhoun's less than above board recruiting.

Come on paying Rudy Gay to go there was OK!!

I liked his stance on giving criminals second chances as well. He especially liked giving really stupid ones opportunities. My favorites were the ones who broke into dorm rooms, stole computers and other stuff and sold them to pawn shops across the street from campus.

I remember that team upsetting everyone en route to an NCAA Tourney bid by running through the MAAC with a storybook weekend of play. In fact, I'm pretty sure my father (who lurks on this board) and I were stunned that Loyola was able to beat Siena (whom we followed closely living in Albany) that year. Looking at their BB reference page, looks like that Prosser team didn't play much D either (266th in pts allowed), but simply caught fire offensively that weekend.

Speaking of Siena, really wish we had gone after Fran McCaffery, who had a lovely 3 year run at Siena in the late aughts with a couple of upset first round wins as coach of the Saints. They beat OSU in 2009 before losing to Louisville after leading late in the 2nd half before fading down the stretch. Go figure, Fran played (ahem, went to Wake as I can't find any record of him playing a game) at Wake.

Would have been a much more sensible hire in 2010 than you know who!

Fran did play at Wake. “White Magic” was quite a passer, don’t think he scored much.

Fran did play at Wake. “White Magic” was quite a passer, don’t think he scored much.

Indeed you are correct, not sure why there isn't any reference to his stats on the BB reference site, but that data base is dubious at best before say, 1990??

Found his stat line in the media guide:

77-78 McCaffery, Fran 28 gms 448 mins 51 of 122 for 41.8% FGP; 24 for 52 46.2% FTP (yikes!); 41 rebs (1.5); 68 assts (2.4); 54 t/o; 47 (1.7) stls; 126 pts for a 4.5 ppga

Mark Gottfried headed to Cal State Northridge.

So now even Cal State Northridge has a better coach than Wake

lol, Gott made the NCAAT 4 of 6 years at State and made 2 Sweet 16s.

Bless your heart if you think Manning is doing that.

Yep. A coach who did what Gott did a State would be considered a god by Wake fans. Probably Sendek too.

Yep. A coach who did what Gott did a State would be considered a god by Wake fans. Probably Sendek too.

What a ridiculous thing to say. Odom and Prosser both had better runs than both Sendek and Gottfried.

That said, Gottfried certainly is more accomplished than Manning.

You know that Odom was favored by Wake fans over Sendek and pronounced that Wake was tiers better than State at the time. We all certainly made fun of Statefans for wanting to fire Sendek (after we moved on from Odom and had success with Prosser).

We are talking about Wake fans in 2018. A 10 year coach who had four NITs, one missed post season then five straight NCAATs would definitely be treated like a god.

We are talking about Wake fans in 2018. A 10 year coach who had four NITs, one missed post season then five straight NCAATs would definitely be treated like a god.

The hypothetical is if Wake hired a coach this off season who then had a Sendek @ NCSU type tenure?

Still nonsense. He would be on the hot seat by his third NIt performance. Rightfully so too.

Weird statement from Matta about not taking the UGA job... Seems like he was just looking in order to honor his contract w/ Ohio State (by making a "good faith" effort to find another job).

That would have been a great hire. Now they'll probably get someone like Steve Forbes or whoever gets hot in the NCAAs.

Weird statement from Matta about not taking the UGA job... Seems like he was just looking in order to honor his contract w/ Ohio State (by making a "good faith" effort to find another job).

That would have been a great hire. Now they'll probably get someone like Steve Forbes or whoever gets hot in the NCAAs.

Which means 1 of 2 things for Matta. 1. He doesn't want to coach anymore and is happy just collecting a check or 2. His health is not good enough to come back to coaching.

Back