• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

Maybe that could open up Ryan Odom to Rhode Island?

Ryan Odom seems like a good guy and a solid coach, but it just amazes me the run coaches get for a single win. UMBC was extremely fortunate to get into the tournament (in the America East title game, Vermont led the entire game; UMBC won on a trey in the final seconds), and then UVA imploded feeling the weight of the first #1 seed to lose to a #16. Odom was fortunate to have inherited Power V level guard, Jarius Lyles (recruited to VCU by Shaka; he transferred twice and ended up at UMBC) on a low major team. Whether Odom can even sustain that success at a low major remains to be seen (Odom has been at UMBC for two years, and almost all of the contributing players where already there). There are many cases of coaches that made tourney runs at non-Power V schools, but never proved their chops to be able to build a program or coach at the Power V level (Stan Heath, Todd Lickliter, Trent Johnson). Agree that Ryan Odom is likeable and admire him for coaching the first 16 to beat 1, but there are too many unknowns to label him as someone that has to be promoted at this point.

His three year track record is pretty damn impressive even disregarding his tourney win.

His three year track record is pretty damn impressive even disregarding his tourney win.

If Vermont hangs on to beat UMBC, no one is even aware that Ryan Odom is a D-1 basketball coach. FWIW, if I was Odom's agent, I would work my arse off to get him another job this year because UMBC loses all 3 of the guards (and a huge part of their offense) that received any kind of significant minutes, and it's likely UMBC takes a huge step back next year. If he doesn't move on this year, Odom won't be a hot name for at least a couple more years.

If Vermont hangs on to beat UMBC, no one is even aware that Ryan Odom is a D-1 basketball coach. FWIW, if I was Odom's agent, I would work my arse off to get him another job this year because UMBC loses all 3 of the guards (and a huge part of their offense) that received any kind of significant minutes, and it's likely UMBC takes a huge step back next year. If he doesn't move on this year, Odom won't be a hot name for at least a couple more years.

Sure, but you pay coaches to win conference championships and NCAA Tournament games. You can't just "meh" that away.

Sure, but you pay coaches to win conference championships and NCAA Tournament games. You can't just "meh" that away.

Not "mehing" it, but Danny Manning (in his 2nd year, like Ryan Odom) won a significantly more competitive conference championship when he led Tulsa to the C-USA crown (beating board fave Michael White's LA Tech squad in the C-USA Finals; think about that); yet, everyone is convinced that Manning is utterly incompetent. I like Ryan Odom, and he may be the next great Power V coach someday, but he fell into some fortunate circumstances, and like Manning, it's not clear whether or not Odom can build a program.

We hired two coaches because of two year stints. Not sure why people think we should try it for a third time.

Not "mehing" it, but Danny Manning (in his 2nd year, like Ryan Odom) won a significantly more competitive conference championship when he led Tulsa to the C-USA crown (beating board fave Michael White's LA Tech squad in the C-USA Finals; think about that); yet, everyone is convinced that Manning is utterly incompetent. I like Ryan Odom, and he may be the next great Power V coach someday, but he fell into some fortunate circumstances, and like Manning, it's not clear whether or not Odom can build a program.

So who's your list?

And [redacted]'s two year stint wasn't even impressive at all. Amazing Ron hired that man.

Manning's stint was like a month. We haven't hired a coach based on a strong two years. Even Skip's last two years at X were low points (NIT and #11 seed).

Last edited:
[Redacted]'s two year stint was much more impressive than Manning's...

[]'s record over his three seasons at Colorado prior to getting the WF job were:

12-20 (3-13)
9-22 (1-15)
15-16 (6-10)

Manning's two years at Tulsa were:

17-16 (8-8)
21-13 (13-3) C-USA Title NCAA bid

How was []'s run more impressive?

Can we just all agree that Wellman hired [Redacted] because they’re friends and [Redacted]’s daughter was at Wake and dealing with health issues?

This wasn’t about record.

Can we just all agree that Wellman hired [Redacted] because they’re friends and [Redacted]’s daughter was at Wake and dealing with health issues?

This wasn’t about record.

Totally agree (and Wellman never got over the beat down that AF put on WF in 2007).

[]'s record over his three seasons at Colorado prior to getting the WF job were:

12-20 (3-13)
9-22 (1-15)
15-16 (6-10)

17-16 (8-8)

[ ] did have that NBA experience as well, which Sidney Lowe showed is so valuable.

12-20 (3-13)
9-22 (1-15)
15-16 (6-10)

17-16 (8-8)

What [Redacted] did at Colorado had very little to do with his being hired at Wake Forest. The two year stint I was talk about was his tenure at Air Force. At least somewhat analagous to Odom and Manning, in that the roster was assembled by the predecessor.

Two WF related coaching carousel nuggets:

- Former WF player (he transferred to Marshall) AW Hamilton will be named Eastern Kentucky's next head coach; this creates an opening on NC State's staff as AW was an assistant under Keatts
- Drake Coach Niko Medved is taking the Colorado State job, replacing party boy Larry Eustachy; Medved was only at Drake one year (Drake improved from 7-24 to 17-17 in Medved's first year, including a win over WF); before taking the Drake job, Medved coached at Furman for 4 years.

12-20 (3-13)
9-22 (1-15)
15-16 (6-10)

17-16 (8-8)

Make's you wonder who's doing these hires... #WellmanOUT!

Make's you wonder who's doing these hires... #WellmanOUT!

I tried to think of a power conference coach with a similar record to [ ] over his last 3 at Colorado. I was going to joke that Wellman has his next target. I am stumped. Even the recently fired coaches have done better over the past 3 years. Although I am probably not thinking of some.

I will agree that we know little about his ability to recruit, but his team was well coached. You can watch Manning's team's inept defensive plan and over dribbling guards and know that talent is not the biggest problem.

Correspondingly, you can watch UMBC or UNCG and see teams with solid defensive game plans playing with passion and playing as a team.

If that does not mean something, I don't know what to tell you.

Wake basketball this year was a disjointed garbage product and that is a direct reflection on coaching.

Back