• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2018 College Basketball Coaching Carousel

True, but going back to a common debate on this thread is it talent or coaching that is most important and leads to on the court success?

Also, going back to the 2014 UCONN roster that won it all (on that road to the Natty, UCONN beat very talented Villanova, Michigan State, Florida and Kentucky teams and check out the coaches that Ollie beat in a row to take the title: Jay Wright, Fred Hoiberg, Tom Izzo, Billy Donovan and Jon Calapari - no flukes in that win streak), it's not like that 2014 UCONN team was loaded with future NBA talent. Shabazz Napier has been a fringe NBA player for the last 3 years, and there's not another player on the 2014 UCONN roster that has sniffed the NBA. Unless coaching is complete luck, Ollie had to have some kind of clue to get to the top of college basketball 4 years ago. Maybe, he isn't willing to put in the time to recruit since then, but Ollie knew what he was doing in 2014.

I am just not sure your argument. If they were doing well in conference but didn't have national success then you could blame that on conference re-alignment, and it being harder to recruit in the Big East vs American. But, they aren't doing well in conference at all. Cincinatti, which went through the same transition at the same time while its cross-town rival also gained a national profile, has finished ahead of them in conference every single year. SMU has finished ahead of them 3 out of 4 years (tied them the other year). They have far and away the most basketball history in the conference yet SMU has surpassed them as a program. SMU!

2014 suggests he is a good coach when given an experienced roster of players. Every year since suggests he is not good at building a competitive roster on his own.

Last edited:
What about Steve Forbes at ETSU as a coaching candidate?

ah didn't realize that Forbes was caught up in the Bruce Pearl stuff at Tenn, prob a non-starter for Wake

ah didn't realize that Forbes was caught up in the Bruce Pearl stuff at Tenn, prob a non-starter for Wake

Depends. Does he have any friends who post here?

Was just going to post the Goodman article. It’s a good summary of the situation and doesn’t speak highly of Ollie.

It’s not just the conference.

He probably gets one more year.

I have no idea who would want that job.

There was also a good article on the Stallings situation. Seems like her prob gets another year, too. Too much money to cut him loose.

Agree that Pitt may be leaning to not firing Stallings, but they are going to be awful next year too; so, it's only a matter of time. Always thought Stallings was a panic hire. Think Pitt thought it was a safe hire as Dixon left some decent talent behind last year, but Stallings career is on the down-side.

Crean to Pitt seems like a natural fit. He did well at Marquette and Milwaukee seemed to be a good fit for him.

Crean to Pitt seems like a natural fit. He did well at Marquette and Milwaukee seemed to be a good fit for him.

I wish we would hire him. I’d take historically competitive at this stage. I don’t even care if we’re not great. I just want to be good again.

I've never been a huge fan because of some of his strange behavior, but this year every time I've seen him on ESPN whether in the studio or calling a game, he knows his stuff and is very detailed regarding teams and their tendencies, etc. He obviously is a hoops junkie. I would take him as our coach tomorrow.

I've never been a huge fan because of some of his strange behavior, but this year every time I've seen him on ESPN whether in the studio or calling a game, he knows his stuff and is very detailed regarding teams and their tendencies, etc. He obviously is a hoops junkie. I would take him as our coach tomorrow.

Screenshot-2018-01-23-18.38.24_riwzcc.png

Was just going to post the Goodman article. It’s a good summary of the situation and doesn’t speak highly of Ollie.

It’s not just the conference.

He probably gets one more year.

I have no idea who would want that job.

I change my mind. UConn had been OK so far this year at home, but they are about to lose to Tulsa. Ollie is probably done. Team looks like it has quit. If you want to see a TERRIBLE offense, watch UConn.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/22505255/the-coaches-hot-seat-index

ESPN insider article that goes through every coach in the top seven conferences.

Only 10/10 for getting fired is Mark Fox @ UGA.
9/10 - Kent @ WSU, Leitao @ Depaul, Ollie @ UConn
8/10 (Could go either way) - Chambers @ Penn State, Stallings @ Pitt

Manning is 6/10 (Should survive, but could be in trouble next season): "Manning is signed through 2025, but he's just 18-48 in ACC play through 3½ seasons. The Demon Deacons made the NCAA tournament last season, his lone trip to the dance."

Other ACC guys:
Christian - 7/10
Brownell - 6/10
Hamilton, Pastner - 5/10
Buzz Williams - 4/10
Larranaga - 3/10
Boeheim, Brey, Keatts - 2/10
Bennett, K, Roy Williams - 1/10

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/insider/story/_/id/22505255/the-coaches-hot-seat-index

ESPN insider article that goes through every coach in the top seven conferences.

Only 10/10 for getting fired is Mark Fox @ UGA.
9/10 - Kent @ WSU, Leitao @ Depaul, Ollie @ UConn
8/10 (Could go either way) - Chambers @ Penn State, Stallings @ Pitt

Manning is 6/10 (Should survive, but could be in trouble next season): "Manning is signed through 2025, but he's just 18-48 in ACC play through 3½ seasons. The Demon Deacons made the NCAA tournament last season, his lone trip to the dance."

Other ACC guys:
Christian - 7/10
Brownell - 6/10
Hamilton, Pastner - 5/10
Buzz Williams - 4/10
Larranaga - 3/10
Boeheim, Brey, Keatts - 2/10
Bennett, K, Roy Williams - 1/10

How in the heck are Brownell's odds to get fired higher than Pastner's at this point??? Did Pastner get some 7-year deal I'm not aware of when he was hired and have another huge buyout that GT can't afford to pay?

From the article:

"Brownell was very close to being on the way out last spring, but he's had an unbelievable season and has the Tigers headed toward a top-four seed. He's safe for now, although it still will be just two tournaments in eight seasons."

"Pastner overachieved in his first season at Tech last season, but the Yellow Jackets have fallen back to the bottom tier of the ACC this year. Pastner also has had off-court issues this season, including a recent sexual assault allegation."

I mean, they were only 1 level apart... Both levels basically saying they aren't getting fired this year, but next year matters a lot.

I think the FBI investigation will have a big impact on coaching changes.

1. Some unusual departures of coaches because ADs find out their current coaching staff is involved.

2. Reluctance to hire assistants from schools that might be involved. This will keep some coaches with hot seats at lower level teams in place until the FBI investigation results are released.

3. Assistants from mid major schools may get HC jobs that otherwise would go to assistants at top 30 schools because of lower risk of being named by FBI.

4. Coaches who might be fired staying another year until FBI investigation is complete. If an AD is convinced his guy is clean, even if not winning, keep him. Maybe he was handicapped in ways you didn't know about.

Last edited:
All the more reason to fire Manning and get Crean in here as soon as possible.

(Anybody got a friend in the FBI to see if Crean was involved?)

Back