• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Republican War on the Poor

"A new study shows that since 2008, more white people in the United States oppose welfare programs, in part because of increasing "racial resentment."

One of the reasons for this opposition, according to the report, is white Americans' perceptions that they might be losing their financial and social status while people of color make gains in those areas.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...cans-are-opposing-government-welfare-programs

Not only are we going to hurt the poor but we're going to make more people poor too.

Nice work on this trade war.

Oh no we voted against our own self interests and now it’s fucking us, womp womp.

I truly feel bad for these people. There was so much Hillary coked up hatred that people couldn’t see the Trump con in action. He doesn’t give a shit about anyone but himself.

"A new study shows that since 2008, more white people in the United States oppose welfare programs, in part because of increasing "racial resentment."

One of the reasons for this opposition, according to the report, is white Americans' perceptions that they might be losing their financial and social status while people of color make gains in those areas.

https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...cans-are-opposing-government-welfare-programs

I visited some of my relatives today in my old hometown in rural NC. A retired uncle, who is a typical small-town Trump supporter and Fox News addict, but who depends on Social Security and Medicare, and would be hurt by any cuts in those programs, was talking about how great the economy has been under Trump. I couldn't resist mentioning the House GOP proposal to make significant cuts to those programs to help "balance the budget." He looked concerned and clearly hadn't heard about it (my guess is that Fox never mentioned it, at least the proposal to cut entitlement programs). His first question? "Would it affect people like me that are already on those programs, or just younger people who haven't retired yet?" He then went on a rant about how "the Democrats had ruined both programs by giving all that money to blacks and illegal immigrants" and were driving SS and Medicare into bankruptcy. No mention, of course, of the GOP tax cut increasing the budget deficit and thus creating pressure to do this, or that the proposal was by House Republicans, not Democrats. Trumpites really will find a way to blame the Democrats for everything, with some swipes at favorite minority target groups (undeserving blacks and immigrants) included.

The elite libs were talking over their heads and telling them what was best for them instead of what they wanted to hear so they did what they had to do, they cut off their noses to spite their faces.

I visited some of my relatives today in my old hometown in rural NC. A retired uncle, who is a typical small-town Trump supporter and Fox News addict, but who depends on Social Security and Medicare, and would be hurt by any cuts in those programs, was talking about how great the economy has been under Trump. I couldn't resist mentioning the House GOP proposal to make significant cuts to those programs to help "balance the budget." He looked concerned and clearly hadn't heard about it (my guess is that Fox never mentioned it, at least the proposal to cut entitlement programs). His first question? "Would it affect people like me that are already on those programs, or just younger people who haven't retired yet?" He then went on a rant about how "the Democrats had ruined both programs by giving all that money to blacks and illegal immigrants" and were driving SS and Medicare into bankruptcy. No mention, of course, of the GOP tax cut increasing the budget deficit and thus creating pressure to do this, or that the proposal was by House Republicans, not Democrats. Trumpites really will find a way to blame the Democrats for everything, with some swipes at favorite minority target groups (undeserving blacks and immigrants) included.

bkf is your uncle??

bkf is your uncle??

Lol. I do know small-town old white retirees like him very well, as I grew up around them, have some as relatives, and still see them occasionally. I usually just avoid talking politics when I'm visiting, but it was hard to resist in this case, and his response was very telling, and amusing, I thought.

Last edited:
Lol. I do know small-town old white retirees like him very well, as I grew up around them, have some as relatives, and still see them occasionally. I usually just avoid talking politics when I'm visiting, but it was hard to resist in this case, and his response was very telling, and amusing, I thought.

I just avoid visiting altogether. It's easier now that my last grandparent has died. There's no longer any reason for everyone to get together for Thanksgiving. Still have to deal with my parents, who are smart people getting more brainwashed by the day.

I just avoid visiting altogether. It's easier now that my last grandparent has died. There's no longer any reason for everyone to get together for Thanksgiving. Still have to deal with my parents, who are smart people getting more brainwashed by the day.

Whenever I go to see my parents, I often have little choice but to see some relatives, as they visit my parents frequently. Luckily, politics doesn't come up very much, usually they discuss family matters. That's good for me, as nearly everyone (probably 90%) I know who still lives in my old hometown are diehard Trumpites. They are all avid Fox News watchers, though, so when politics does come up it's usually a doozy to listen to.

Ironically, I usually hear more politics from the people who go to my parent's Baptist Church. The minister, who looks like he's in his late thirties, went to Liberty University, and told a reporter for a local newspaper article that he was "politically independent", although he's also told my parents and other people at church that he's a "deep red Republican", and that he can't see how any "true" Christian could vote Democratic, mainly because of abortion, gay rights, and "traditional Biblical values". Needless to say, I don't go to their church whenever I'm visiting.

How One Company Is Making Millions Off Restricting Access To Public Benefits

Just as voters in some states are forced to suddenly produce additional identification to vote, all in the name of preventing virtually nonexistent voter fraud, recipients of social welfare are made to jump through hoops to prevent welfare theft that barely happens anyway. The thinking is, “‘We’re giving you these benefits and you’re going to have to work for it,’” says Emory University historian Carol Anderson, whose book One Person, No Vote came out last fall. “It’s the same kind of frame, and a lot of it is targeted at the same people.” The fraud in public aid programs that does exist often benefits providers and business owners more than the poor. One study of five states found that less than 0.2 percent of SNAP food stamp clients double dipped. Nevertheless, 18 states have passed restrictive “stop the scam” policies that expand fraud detection programs.

The difference is that, unlike voter suppression, public benefit suppression can create a significant market opportunity for companies like Maximus. That’s because restricting access to public benefits can be complicated and expensive, even when the restrictions are relatively straightforward, like the monthly fee now required for Medicaid in seven states. Pat Casanova, a consultant who once served as Indiana’s Medicaid director, cautioned in the 2017 webinar that there’s “no way to do a program like this without having it be very, very complex.”

Work requirements are even more complex to track than payments. Proving that someone has worked involves regular verification of employment, hours on the job, and sometimes even wages earned; exemptions to the rule make it even tougher to track. If you’re a government agency thinking of adding work requirements, “you’re thinking, ‘Oh, my God. What kind of computer system would be required to keep these sorts of records about individual people?’” says Ron Haskins, a Republican who helped write the 1990s welfare reform law. But for the company that maintains that system, the payoff can be huge.

20181214_Contracts_642.png

Back