• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KP Report on the Georgia Tech Yellowjackets - 9 pm Tonight ACC Network ESPN 3

Pilchard

Reaction score
2017-8 Season: GT is 11-14 (4-8) and 1-7 on the road (the one road win coming at dreadful Pitt). Top 100 wins: #81 Northwestern by 1, #37 Miami by 10, #41 ND by 7 and #46 Cuse by 4. GT has lost 7 of their last 8 and 5 of those losses have been by double digits. Their best player, Josh Okogie, missed the first 8 games of the season, and the Jacket head coach has been accused of sexual harassment (Pastner has denied the allegations). Safe to say, GT's season has been a disaster. In addition to the Jacket's ACC struggles, GT has lost to #275 Grambling, #184 Wofford, #138 Wright State. Stinky.

Offense: GT has the ACC's #14 offense (WF is #13). They are below average in every offensive category, and the Jackets particularly stink at shooting the ball. They are 14th in the ACC in 3 point FG %, 12th in 2 PT FG% and 14th in effective FG%. They also turn the ball over (13th in TO%), and they don't get to the line often (10th in FTA per FGA). The 3 point shot is not a large part of the Jacket offense as they are DFL in the conference in the amount of offense (only 23% of the offense comes from the 3 point shot). The Jackets do not play at a fast tempo (#11 in the ACC).

Defense: GT is a solid defensive team - #5 in the ACC. They (Ben Lammers) defend the paint well as they are #3 in the ACC in block % and #5 in 2 PT FG% defense. GT Center Ben Lammers was the ACC defensive POY last year, and he is a presence in the paint. GT does get called for a lot of fouls on defense as they are #11 in FTA per FGA on defense.

Roster: The Jackets start Jose Alvarado (6-0 - frosh), Brandon Alston (6-5 Lehigh transfer), Josh Okogie (6-4), Abdoulaye Gueye (6-9) and Lammers (6-10). GT has a short bench as reserves Curtis Haywood and Justin Moore have been out for more than a month. Tadric Jackson (6-2) gets the most minutes off the bench, and he is not a threat from 3 (25%). The matchup with Okogie is going to be big for WF, and he has been on a roll in ACC play scoring 29 versus Duke and 25 against L'ville in GT's last two games. Would think Chaundee would be the WF player best suited to guard Okogie.

Bottom Line: KP projects a 72-67 WF win. The Vegas line is 5.5 with the O/U set at 138.5. WF beat GT last year 81-69 at WF (Wilbekin had 16). The combined record of these two teams over the last month is 2-14; bad basketball. Given that GT has been so awful on the road (1-7) and given that WF has won two conference games at home, WF does have the edge, but this game will likely be a struggle as scoring guards have torched WF all year (see, Tyus Battle with 34 on Sunday); fully expect Okogie to score big particularly if WF plays its small lineup.

Last edited:
Thank goodness the Olympics will be on, because I'm not planning to watch a second of this crapfest. It really bothers me to feel that way as much as I love Wake Forest, but enough is enough.

Just a quick correction. Alvarado is out for the season with a fractured elbow

Cremins and Odom
Cutting down tournament nets
Seems so long ago

Just a quick correction. Alvarado is out for the season with a fractured elbow

Did not realize that. Big loss for GT as he has had a solid year as a freshman, and they don't really have anyone else to play point.

Last edited:
GT has nobody at PG. It is a real concern for them. Hopefully we do something to make it very difficult for whomever brings the ball up (Okogie).

Do I hear a 4-guard lineup calling???

Have a big fear that the late game success of that lineup against Cuse will encourage the coaches to go in that direction.

The line opened at WF -6.5 and is now 5.5. Always smart to bet against bad teams when they are favored.

See Lammer time getting shut down just like last year from our bigs, unfortunately that was last year. Hopefully Wake can manage to squeak out a home win.

Have a big fear that the late game success of that lineup against Cuse will encourage the coaches to go in that direction.

The line opened at WF -6.5 and is now 5.5. Always smart to bet against bad teams when they are favored.

I agree with the worry, but am going to bet on it not getting many minutes next game. It made sense last game (kind of) from two perspectives: 1. being down by a lot we needed the three ball to get back into it, and 2. Cuse runs zone. Hope it doesn't make too much of an appearance tonight.

Two tickets and parking pass available for tonight's game. I live south of Roanoke. PM me

I think it might be in part that GT is 2-6 ATS in their last 8 and 0 for their last 3. Maybe people figuring the tide has to turn eventually.

But given they have a clown for a coach, not sure that's gonna happen

6'2" Tadric Jackson has to start in Alvarado's place, and then GT has no other scholarship options at guard, at all

Justin Moore was suspended from the team, Haywood is hurt, now Alvarado

in theory we should be able to rotate fresh bodies in on Okogie and take advantage of a SG playing PG for 40 minutes (or Jackson sliding to PG)

Back