• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

And as predicted, this conversation is now about meaningless stats

Somewhere elkman smiles

A good way to avoid that would be for people to stop avoiding discussions of school shootings.

Naaaa Its easier to say the stats are Bs and thus we don't need to enact change

A good way to avoid that would be for people to stop avoiding discussions of school shootings.

the discussion should have the truth at its foundation

why would there be a reason to lie about the number of and severity of shootings? one kid killing 17 people should be enough to launch an honest conversation

why would there be a reason to lie about the number of and severity of shootings? one kid killing 17 people should be enough to launch an honest conversation

Or just ignore the post and move on. The statement about numbers of shootings had little to nothing to do with the actual discussion

So now that we’ve beat that horse to death and then some let’s move on and talk about potential solutions.

We were having an honest conversation. You are distracting us from it.

Lot of useful dialogue going on in this thread. Keep up the good work, we're getting somewhere.

Or just ignore the post and move on. The statement about numbers of shootings had little to nothing to do with the actual discussion

in fairness, I ignored it the first several times it was referenced, and the fact that the statistic is being distorted is a major talking point for those seeking to retain the status quo (I'm not one of those people); therefore, it IS important to use facts

that and, it's generally a good idea to use facts

So now that we’ve beat that horse to deaeth and then some let’s move on and talk about potential solutions.

ok

1. ban the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles (this of course won't solve the issue of 5 million or so AR-15s currently in the US; but if we do nothing, in a few years we'll have 10 million)
2. failing that, make it impossible for someone under the age of 21 to purchase one
3. failing that, make it impossible for someone expelled from high school to purchase one

and there are many more common-sense solutions, like requiring registration for every gun purchase, requiring training, requiring liability insurance, requiring a safe be purchased to house any gun, holding people responsible for accidental discharges by their children, etc.

A lie is an intentional attempt to mislead with false materials. I didn't do that. I reported what multiple national press groups reported. Then pulled the word that offended.

But if you makes you feel better about yourself.

A lie is an intentional attempt to mislead with false materials. I didn't do that. I reported what multiple national press groups reported. Then pulled the word that offended.

But if you makes you feel better about yourself.

who said it was you that lied?

talking about 18 mass shootings at schools since January 1 is not an honest conversation

We weren’t talking about that until you distracted us by talking about it.

really

It's not 20 students injured. It's 18 separate mass shootings at schools since Jan. 1.

It must hurt to be this dense.

Jeez Louise - no its not. Not even close to "18 separate mass shootings at schools" this year. This is why it is dangerous to spout these statistics, people believe them.

Honest question, are you retarded?

in fairness, I ignored it the first several times it was referenced, and the fact that the statistic is being distorted is a major talking point for those seeking to retain the status quo (I'm not one of those people); therefore, it IS important to use facts

that and, it's generally a good idea to use facts

ok

1. ban the AR-15 and other semi-automatic rifles (this of course won't solve the issue of 5 million or so AR-15s currently in the US; but if we do nothing, in a few years we'll have 10 million)
2. failing that, make it impossible for someone under the age of 21 to purchase one
3. failing that, make it impossible for someone expelled from high school to purchase one

and there are many more common-sense solutions, like requiring registration for every gun purchase, requiring training, requiring liability insurance, requiring a safe be purchased to house any gun, holding people responsible for accidental discharges by their children, etc.

talking about 18 mass shootings at schools since January 1 is not an honest conversation

You literally just followed up a legitimate post on how to reduce gun violence with a post about misleading stats. How can you claim you’re not derailing the conversation?

Harping on something dumb rjkarl says to distract from a real issue is a tried and true tactic.

It's not 20 students injured. It's 18 separate mass shootings at schools since Jan. 1.

It must hurt to be this dense.

Jeez Louise - no its not. Not even close to "18 separate mass shootings at schools" this year. This is why it is dangerous to spout these statistics, people believe them.

You literally just followed up a legitimate post on how to reduce gun violence with a post about misleading stats. How can you claim you’re not derailing the conversation?

Harping on something dumb rjkarl says to distract from a real issue is a tried and true tactic.

I was responding to your stupid comment

Interesting that lots are willing to overlook fake news when it helps their cause.

Back