• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

I would love to see us enact gun laws similar to those Australia enacted in 1996. It’s been twenty-two years since the mass shooting in Tasmania that led to those laws. They haven’t had a mass shooting since. At the time, the Australian PM said, “We have an opportunity to not go down the American path.” And they didn’t.

Unfortunately there is no chance anything even borderline resembling the Australian solution will happen here.

I offered some thoughts above; certainly not a solution because I don't see a "solution" to the problem of roughly 300 million guns already in the U.S.

I don't see any solutions from you; lots of snark though

if it wasn't for itc's snark, we would have solved this a long time ago !

I offered some thoughts above; certainly not a solution because I don't see a "solution" to the problem of roughly 300 million guns already in the U.S.

I don't see any solutions from you; lots of snark though

i've posted it many times but you're a n00b around here, or so it seems anyway. here's some thoughts

there are lots of guns in the system and we're obviously not going to confiscate them because that's ridiculous. we can, however, reduce the number over time. Rather than banning ownership, we should curtail transfers and give incentives to get rid of the stock. culture can shift over the long run but we need to reduce the number of firearms out there.

1. make semiauto rifles a class III weapon immediately, which places a heavy burden on transer
2. grandfather existing owned guns but ban sales on new semiautomatic rifles.
3. offer generous buyback programs
4. require liability insurance for guns
5. at some point I think a ban on the inheritance of class III weapons should apply as well, ownership ceases at death. if you want to retain an antique weapon for collecting purposes, it must be rendered non-functional
6. ban gunshow transfers

ban large magazines
ban suppressors
ban bump stocks and similar auto-fire adaptions
tax ammunition sales

i also think google/FB/twitter should start putting gun nutjob culture videos behind 18+ walls or even ban them outright

I would love to see us enact gun laws similar to those Australia enacted in 1996. It’s been twenty-two years since the mass shooting in Tasmania that led to those laws. They haven’t had a mass shooting since. At the time, the Australian PM said, “We have an opportunity to not go down the American path.” And they didn’t.

Unfortunately there is no chance anything even borderline resembling the Australian solution will happen here.

Right we have a sizable portion of the population who views any attempts at curtailing access to guns as an infringement on their autonomy and existence.

PH, to answer your neg rep (god, I think it’s hilarious that grown up adults actually do that), yes, I think people would post tags like, ”ph sneaky dumb”, ph:85k posts = no life”, “phacts”, “phucking idiot”, and “pretty dumb for a phd” if you were white.

Check out the RJ tags on any thread. I’m pretty sure he’s white.

if it wasn't for itc's snark, we would have solved this a long time ago !

my snark has grown powerful, indeed

Nomo2_5ZW56x.jpg

I just assumed that you weren't bothering to give a serious response because the answer is so painfully fucking obvious

The solution is obviously banning and confiscation of anything that is not a hunting rifle, but of course the tiny peen crew would never go for that. It is the very essence of their sham manhood.

that's a lot of weapons to confiscate

we learned some lessons from the Branch Davidian siege that should be applied here

false

there have been too many shootings, at schools and elsewhere

we don't need to lie about the numbers and the severity

The last page of discussion has literally been about the danger of using exaggerated stats. And then you go pile exaggeration on top of the discussed exaggeration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.7091a6e06f7f

Good article explaining the misleading numbers floating around. I agree false/embellished/misleading numbers only hurt the chances of action being taken. Be honest with the numbers - they're still repulsive and should invoke change.

ETA: just saw someone else posted this.

Last edited:
i've posted it many times but you're a n00b around here, or so it seems anyway. here's some thoughts

there are lots of guns in the system and we're obviously not going to confiscate them because that's ridiculous. we can, however, reduce the number over time. Rather than banning ownership, we should curtail transfers and give incentives to get rid of the stock. culture can shift over the long run but we need to reduce the number of firearms out there.

1. make semiauto rifles a class III weapon immediately, which places a heavy burden on transer
2. grandfather existing owned guns but ban sales on new semiautomatic rifles.
3. offer generous buyback programs
4. require liability insurance for guns
5. at some point I think a ban on the inheritance of class III weapons should apply as well, ownership ceases at death. if you want to retain an antique weapon for collecting purposes, it must be rendered non-functional
6. ban gunshow transfers

ban large magazines
ban suppressors
ban bump stocks and similar auto-fire adaptions
tax ammunition sales

i also think google/FB/twitter should start putting gun nutjob culture videos behind 18+ walls or even ban them outright

so there is a lot of overlap with what I stated, above

good chat

like, the idea that this should even be a debate at this point is sort of insulting

unless your head is buried up the asses of the NRA and/or GOP, the answer isn't something that can reasonably be debated at this point

whether you're derailing things by talking about bullshit stats, or trying to reframe the discussion into a good faith "argument", it's all pretty disingenuous and stupid. there is no argument here anymore.

Yeah Waco siege all the gun nuts, after you make Waco the standard operating procedure for confiscating guns anyone that is not a crazy is willingly handing them over as soon as possible and anyone left is a crazy fuck that society deems undesirable.

Yeah Waco siege all the gun nuts, after you make Waco the standard operating procedure for confiscating guns anyone that is not a crazy is willingly handing them over as soon as possible and anyone left is a crazy fuck that society deems undesirable.

yeah let's just kill all those crazy nuts, and damn the collateral damage

Back