• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

Also Democrats had control of the house, senate, and executive branch but chose not to do shit on immigration or gun control. Instead they killed our already broken healthcare system. Thanks.

Exactly. If the Dems had crafted gun control legislation, it would passed in a second.

Also Democrats had control of the house, senate, and executive branch but chose not to do shit on immigration or gun control. Instead they killed our already broken healthcare system. Thanks.

It’s a fallacy that we couldn’t address both. If you really want to make the argument that parties with monopoly control get one chance at a priority piece of legislation, you’re not going to like the current side-by-side.

I would be 100% behind any conservative solutions that would reduce gun violence in our country. The reality is that none have truly been attempted. This should be a bipartisan issue hands down. If it can’t be, then what the fuck can we ever agree on?

Or kids, spouses, family and friends are going to school and work in god damn war zones. This shouldn’t be something we have to worry so much about.

I’m not asking for anyone to take anyone’s guns, but for the love of Christ do SOMETHING.

Exactly. If the Dems had crafted gun control legislation, it would passed in a second.

And been jammed in the courts immediately and swiftly destroyed by Republicans using it as a hammer in the subsequent election

I do think the way we are medicated, and treating mental health in our children is a bigger overall problem than gun control. Your odds of dying in from a gun related injury is almost nothing overall. Yet, every other kid in america (slight exaggeration) is having there brain chemistry fucked with because parents want a magic pill to fix there kids instead of actually caring for them.

Are girls not getting prescribed the same medication?

Maybe we should stop shoving anti-psych meds down kids throats. Seems like the trend between over medicating children for things we do not understand has had a more direct correlation between the increase in school shooting than access to firearms. Access to firearms have remained rather consistent to not as easily availible, while hoping kids up on on these kinds of meds has increased exponentially.

One thing remains consistent between these shootings, all of them are on the same meds.

I do think the way we are medicated, and treating mental health in our children is a bigger overall problem than gun control. Your odds of dying in from a gun related injury is almost nothing overall. Yet, every other kid in america (slight exaggeration) is having there brain chemistry fucked with because parents want a magic pill to fix there kids instead of actually caring for them.

I don't know what "anti-psych meds" are, but I take an SSRI daily.

It doesn't "fuck with" my brain chemistry; it stabilizes it - returns it to a state of normalcy so that I can actually function. My father was extremely reluctant to admit that I had a mental health issue that deserved examination, and I essentially had to wait until college to speak with someone about it. That's not a healthy road.

Please stop making exaggerated and demeaning claims about this topic.

I’m all for increased resources toward mental health care. If that’s really a bigger problem than guns, let’s do that. As someone married to a school mental health professional in a conservative school district, I can assure you that’s not happening here. Her case load is more than twice what is recommended. We often spend more on school policing via resource officers than counselors. That’s a problem. The reality is whatever the actual problem, we have a bunch of cowards (best case scenario) incapable of fixing it.

They aren’t cowards. They just don’t care to fix it. Do you honestly believe a Republican lawmaker cares about kids who die in a school shooting?

Last edited:
It’s a fallacy that we couldn’t address both. If you really want to make the argument that parties with monopoly control get one chance at a priority piece of legislation, you’re not going to like the current side-by-side.

I would be 100% behind any conservative solutions that would reduce gun violence in our country. The reality is that none have truly been attempted. This should be a bipartisan issue hands down. If it can’t be, then what the fuck can we ever agree on?

Or kids, spouses, family and friends are going to school and work in god damn war zones. This shouldn’t be something we have to worry so much about.

I’m not asking for anyone to take anyone’s guns, but for the love of Christ do SOMETHING.
This just isn't true. Your chances of dying in a gun related homicide even including gang related homicides in the statistics are really low.

Background checks. Smart gun technology where new gun have to have the owners fingerprint activating them in order to be able to shoot, limiting military style weaponry, ending those crazy bumbstocks all this neads to be done.

However if there hasn't been a change to access levels to firearms, and there has been a dramatic increase in mass shootings, then we need to at least start trying to understand what is going on.

Evidence?

The GOP uses these tragedies to sell or require more guns. They don’t actually care. Maybe if it happens in their neighborhoods to kids like their own. But they don’t care about the rest of us.

They care. They’re just stupid enough to think that the solution is more guns, more liberty to carry, etc.

Someone should track how soon after shootings Republicans receive NRA donations. I'll bet a fresh wave goes out Monday at the latest.

No. One or two Dems would have been on the fence.

And all 40 Pubs would have opposed it. And Pubs governors wouldn’t have enforced it at the state level.

However if there hasn't been a change to access levels to firearms, and there has been a dramatic increase in mass shootings, then we need to at least start trying to understand what is going on.

Gun sales have increased in recent years. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, U.S. gun-makers produced nearly 11 million guns in 2013, the year after the Sandy Hook elementary school massacre. That's twice as many as they made in 2010.

Screen-Shot-2015-07-23-at-10.59.54-AM.png

Fwiw those school shooting stats are garbage. Includes suicides and accidental misfires including a few on weekends or other times when schools were empty. Not that there is an acceptable number >0. I just hate the misuse of stats.

Fwiw those school shooting stats are garbage. Includes suicides and accidental misfires including a few on weekends or other times when schools were empty. Not that there is an acceptable number >0. I just hate the misuse of stats.

They are times when a gun was fired on school property. People should be safe on school grounds.

They are times when a gun was fired on school property. People should be safe on school grounds.

Why would a suicide in a school parking lot at night when the campus is empty make someone unsafe? It doesn’t.

“Hey, that’s where Johnny killed himself! Awesome!”

Back