• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How many more school shootings before the NRA allows common sense?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article200241689.html

NRA groups spent nearly $7 million on behalf of Burr. That includes $5.6 million that NRA groups spent in 2016 against his Democratic opponent, Deborah Ross. That was more than the NRA spent against any 2016 candidate with the exception of Hillary Clinton.

And Tillis had gotten $4.5 million in help, including independent expenditures against his 2014 opponent, then-incumbent Democrat Kay Hagan.

You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about. In the last Senate election here I voted for Michelle Nunn. I live in the GA congressional that held a run off last year. I voted for the Dem, John Ossoff. I voted for Hillary, whom I despise, because of Trump.

Republicans have done nothing about gun control. There’s the answer to your question.

Let me go back to my question that you won’t answer. You didn’t say politicians only care about themselves. You said Republicans don’t care about children who die in shootings. So do you think that an entire group of people, identifiable by their political affiliation, don’t care about the children who are killed in these mass killings?

Please answer the question.

But you are relatively short and definitely ollllldddddd.

I mean this isn’t hard, if you are republican and vote for republicans because they are pro gun, you are a member of the NRA, you decide that some issue is important to you like tax cuts so you vote for republicans while overlooking their pro gun stances then you are at some fraction of a fraction percentage responsible for continued gun tragedies in America.

I mean this isn’t hard, if you are republican and vote for republicans because they are pro gun, you are a member of the NRA, you decide that some issue is important to you like tax cuts so you vote for republicans while overlooking their pro gun stances then you are at some fraction of a fraction percentage responsible for continued gun tragedies in America.

So you're saying they're biting the bullet when they vote?

I found this to be an informative, and depressing, article on the matter: LINK

“In retrospect Sandy Hook marked the end of the US gun control debate,” Dan Hodges, a British journalist, wrote in a post on Twitter two years ago, referring to the 2012 attack that killed 20 young students at an elementary school in Connecticut. “Once America decided killing children was bearable, it was over.”

They aren’t cowards. They just don’t care to fix it. Do you honestly believe a Republican lawmaker cares about kids who die in a school shooting?

Evidence?

The GOP uses these tragedies to sell or require more guns. They don’t actually care. Maybe if it happens in their neighborhoods to kids like their own. But they don’t care about the rest of us.

But you are relatively short and definitely ollllldddddd.

I’m OK with the old comment because I am, well, old. But come on. I’m 5’11”. That’s not THAT short.

Why Better Mental Health Care Won't Stop Mass Shootings
While improving access to mental-health care might help lots of suffering Americans, researchers who study mass shootings doubt it would do much to curb tragedies like these. According to their work, the sorts of individuals who commit mass murder often are either not mentally ill or do not recognize themselves as such. Because they blame the outside world for their problems, mass murderers would likely resist therapies that ask them to look inside themselves or to change their behavior.

The connection between mental illness and mass shootings is weak, at best, because while mentally ill people can sometimes be a danger to themselves or others, very little violence is actually caused by mentally ill people. When the assailants are mentally ill, the anecdotes tend to overshadow the statistics. Both Jared Loughner, who shot and severely injured Representative Gabrielle Giffords, and the Aurora, Colorado, shooter James Holmes, for example, had histories of mood disorders. But a study of convicted murderers in Indiana found that just 18 percent had a serious mental-illness diagnosis. Killers with severe mental illnesses, in that study, were actually less likely to target strangers or use guns as their weapon, and they were no more likely than the mentally healthy to have killed multiple people.

Mental health and Gun control policy is something this country should absolutely be ashamed of. We are failing dramatically at both these, and there is zero will to make significant changes by the shills on both sides who are owned by Big Pharma and the NRA. Short of a mass shooting on the Senate floor, nothing is going to happen.

But I do think the availability and marketing to kids of first-person shooter video games does a play role. Its disturbing to me how desensitized my students are to gun violence. To them shooting guns at other people is fun, and something they could easily do because they do it on their phones and consoles every night. Picking up a fire arm and shooting at their classmates and teacher is not something out of the realm of possibility anymore.

global_mental_disorders.gif

Obviously, mental illness is a greater problem in the U.S. than the rest of the world, and must be addressed. But 87% of the mentally ill people in the world are not American. 87% of the people who are killed by gun violence apparently are. That's disgusting. Clearly guns are the bigger problem.

Mental health and Gun control policy is something this country should absolutely be ashamed of. We are failing dramatically at both these, and there is zero will to make significant changes by the shills on both sides who are owned by Big Pharma and the NRA. Short of a mass shooting on the Senate floor, nothing is going to happen.

But I do think the availability and marketing to kids of first-person shooter video games does a play role. Its disturbing to me how desensitized my students are to gun violence. To them shooting guns at other people is fun, and something they could easily do because they do it on their phones and consoles every night. Picking up a fire arm and shooting at their classmates and teacher is not something out of the realm of possibility anymore.

Good post. You're going to get a link on an "independent study" that shows "no link between video games/movies and gun violence" but I agree with you

Good post. You're going to get a link on an "independent study" that shows "no link between video games/movies and gun violence" but I agree with you

lulz

you're going to get research-based evidence to the support position but #anecdote

Happy to join, glad I could get out and help alongside everyone else doing big things posting their thoughts and solutions on wake forest message board. Change should happen anytime now because of all the hard work I'm sure of it

Good smug douche bags checking in left and right. I definitely have killed some 15 year old kids from other countries in call of duty, anecdotes, violent video games everywhere.

Happy to join, glad I could get out and help alongside everyone else doing big things posting their thoughts and solutions on wake forest message board. Change should happen anytime now because of all the hard work I'm sure of it

you forgot to post a smug pepe with your post

here i got you broh

smug-pepe2.jpg

I mean, there are school shootings in South Korea and Japan all the time, right?

Back