• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

House votes to gut ADA

http://www.newsweek.com/house-republicans-americans-disabilities-act-civil-rights-808106

Paul Ryan's budgets have been called "immoral" by the Catholic church. This is also immoral, but expected.

This is to be expected, Trump et al. are crooks and immoral.

To be fair, there is a guy with a lawyer here that is suing a bunch of small businesses with this and they in turn the businesses have to shut down because they can’t pay the fees. They have to pay the lawsuit, fees and make the improvements in order to reopen. They are super shady...

Yeah, the plaintiff's bar in CA is as corrupt and immoral as Republicans, but there should be better ways of dealing with them than gutting laws.

there is going to be a reckoning in hell for these bastards

Meh, ADA regulations are certainly burdensome and fail the common sense test in a ton of places

We’re better as a society because of ADA regulations. Cutting protections for the most vulnerable members of society is just reprehensible.

I'm not blind therefore trying to make the FUCKING INTERNET more usable to blind people is stupid, amirite? who needs the internet in 2018, anyway

Apparently the disabled need to pony up for some better lobbying.

Except there is no guidance on what websites are covered and what website owners are supposed to do:https://cielo24.com/2018/01/doj-withdraws-ada-compliance-for-website-access-regulations/

And when you scratch a bit deeper, it becomes more complicated than most would imagine. How about this site? Not ADA compliant. What about someone that wants to start a small web business with no budget for lawyers to review the unsettled legal issues or web developers to make adjustments. Too bad. What about universities that wanted to make their lectures available to the public? https://www.insidehighered.com/news...delete-publicly-available-educational-content

so it's a regulatory problem, not a tort problem. rather than rolling back laws, regulators need to do their job

just out of curiosity, I asked the firm who handles our website about ADA compliance and while our site was upgraded recently and has no retail components, the response was "the cost is minimal to zero and in general may require some additional descriptions on images".

people who complain about the ADA being burdensome are the biggest crybabies in our society and should be beaten with a hose.

yeah, there are some goofy requirements in some cases, but "common sense" test is just code for "i don't want to pay to put in a wheelchair ramp"

we've opened two brick and mortar businesses and complied with ADA regs and the business is miraculously still open and my family and I continue to live to this day

24pbo4.jpg

just out of curiosity, I asked the firm who handles our website about ADA compliance and while our site was upgraded recently and has no retail components, the response was "the cost is minimal to zero and in general may require some additional descriptions on images".

They might want to dig a bit deeper, starting with the issue of audio plug ins. And then after you are satisfied that you are in compliance, you can still be sued because there are no safe harbors.

Back