• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Hosts NC State. 4 PM

The lack of defense by the Deacons was unacceptable. Childress, Wilbekin and Woods played a combined 76 minutes. They combined to shoot 6-26 from the field and 3-11 from three. Their lack of offensive production combined with their ineffective defense is a principal reason for today's loss. Crawford and Moore had career highs of 29 and 24 points. Neither played without flaws but they carried the team offensively.

Last edited:
The lack of defense by the Deacons was unacceptable. Childress, Wilbekin and Woods played a combined 76 minutes. They combined to shoot 6-26 from the field and 3-11 from three. Their lack of offensive production combined with their ineffective defense is a principal reason for today's loss. Crawford and Moore had career highs of 29 and 24 points. Neither played without flaws but they carried the team offensively.

It’s at least possible that Childress, Wilbekin, and Woods aren’t really all that good.

This loss was blame all around for me. I haven't been very critical of Coach Manning but today it was pretty evident that he had no answers for our terrible offensive execution and awful defense. He never changed anything. I really believe that he coaches the players to work out their problems during the game and stick to the game plan. I tend to agree with this, if the game plan is working. But it wasn't today. Secondly, I'll stick to my previous conclusions that our lack of small forward and power forward options along with our consistently unreliable guard play are too much for even good coaching to overcome. Some of you folks will claim that Bryant Crawford was almost a savior today, and while his scoring stats were impressive, his useless turnovers, missed open shots, and complete lack of effort defensively cut his effectiveness by MORE than half. Combine his game today with the horrible performances from the other 3 guards and we had no chance. The only player this season who gives us a consistent effort and performance is Doral Moore. Unfortunately he relies on the other players to touch the ball. I believe the players want to do a good job and win. But it's very clear that this team, with this roster, lacks the essential play makers, and coaching inspiration to win in the ACC. I'm hoping that next year will be much different. Moore, Sarr and Chaundee Brown will certainly be better, and maybe Crawford will begin to understand what is needed as a leader of the team, and not the stat sheet stuffer who makes no difference.

And Chaundee travels on an uncontested rebound.

This fucking season. Unreal.

7 offensive boards and he wasn’t in the game for Crawford’s 3rd FT.

I'm guessing Danny expected Crawford to make the free throw, use Sunday for the inbounds play/foul, then put Doral in for offense.. Crawford missed.

Really had a good time and really enjoyed all the gracious fans today at LJVM. I was afraid we were going to give it back to you at the end

Really had a good time and really enjoyed all the gracious fans today at LJVM. I was afraid we were going to give it back to you at the end

Every dog/wolf/deacon has their day. I’m sure you will have a bad day at the Joel in the not so distant future

So much for being a 2 .5 pt home favorite. :(

Much more fun laying a 30 pt beat down on them last season.

This loss was blame all around for me. I haven't been very critical of Coach Manning but today it was pretty evident that he had no answers for our terrible offensive execution and awful defense. He never changed anything. I really believe that he coaches the players to work out their problems during the game and stick to the game plan. I tend to agree with this, if the game plan is working. But it wasn't today. Secondly, I'll stick to my previous conclusions that our lack of small forward and power forward options along with our consistently unreliable guard play are too much for even good coaching to overcome. Some of you folks will claim that Bryant Crawford was almost a savior today, and while his scoring stats were impressive, his useless turnovers, missed open shots, and complete lack of effort defensively cut his effectiveness by MORE than half. Combine his game today with the horrible performances from the other 3 guards and we had no chance. The only player this season who gives us a consistent effort and performance is Doral Moore. Unfortunately he relies on the other players to touch the ball. I believe the players want to do a good job and win. But it's very clear that this team, with this roster, lacks the essential play makers, and coaching inspiration to win in the ACC. I'm hoping that next year will be much different. Moore, Sarr and Chaundee Brown will certainly be better, and maybe Crawford will begin to understand what is needed as a leader of the team, and not the stat sheet stuffer who makes no difference.

I can't disagree with any of this. The fact of the matter is that the guys on this team don't get what it takes to win basketball games at the ACC level, and it doesn't appear the coaching staff has the ability to teach it. A bad combination that sinks you to the bottom of the conference.

Good analysis, except that I am not convinced that the players want to win enough to give the total effort that winning requires, particularly on defense. We don't have the athletes that we need, but even so if we played harder and smarter on defense our offense is good enough to win most of the games we have lost. Either we don't talk on defense or we don't listen and respond. The repeated baseline drives for easy lay-ups were maddening.

That said, I do want to commend Brown for working very hard on the defensive end...he may not always be in the right position but he does work hard.

Wonder why he doesn't get more minutes...

And Chaundee travels on an uncontested rebound.

This fucking season. Unreal.

Good analysis, except that I am not convinced that the players want to win enough to give the total effort that winning requires, particularly on defense. We don't have the athletes that we need, but even so if we played harder and smarter on defense our offense is good enough to win most of the games we have lost. Either we don't talk on defense or we don't listen and respond. The repeated baseline drives for easy lay-ups were maddening.

That said, I do want to commend Brown for working very hard on the defensive end...he may not always be in the right position but he does work hard.

Wonder why he doesn't get more minutes...

I'm going to hazard a guess that there is some difference between what we see in games and what the coaches see in practice.

I'm going to hazard a guess that there is some difference between what we see in games and what the coaches see in practice.

Granted that last travel was really bad; but Crawford's missed ft had already sealed our destiny.

Game play and effort should be more important than practice play and effort. Wonder what our record is in practice?

so everyone agrees we had no chance and still enjoying the ga tech win that's what I was asking and I see that is the case and that's really too bad, hopefully one day we go into these games believing we have a chance and are disappointed if we lose because we thought we could win

Chaundee has the athleticism that we are lacking at so many positions. We have some decent basketball players who are not as athletic as the guys they are matched up against. Hopefully that will change in the future.

I can't disagree with any of this. The fact of the matter is that the guys on this team don't get what it takes to win basketball games at the ACC level, and it doesn't appear the coaching staff has the ability to teach it. A bad combination that sinks you to the bottom of the conference.

Yes and yes. No excuse for this season. Danny obviously cannot get the best out of this team, his is game coaching is abysmal, he throws shit at the wall and nothing has stuck except for three games. Honestly thank god this season is over. Of course we are stuck with the stupid Wellman extension so even a bad year next year won’t have him gone. Wish there was something positive to say.

Back