• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CNN Townhall with Parkland Students, Rubio, NRA and others

Ban firearms that are semi-automatic and fed with a detachable magazine. It might not eliminate the problem entirely but it would dramatically reduce the body count. It leaves you the most practical weapons for home defense, hunting and sport shooting. It also leaves you with bolt action rifles as an armed citizenery check on tyrannical government overreach if you're some nut that thinks you're going fight bloody Civil War II some day.

So you support a full ban on all pistols that aren't revolvers?

so, Not Creamy:

latest

I mean if you think about it, gated communities and businesses with security guards are typically safer and therefore less inclined to have a mass shooting. Why can't we do this for our schools? If done properly the first time, it should not be a heavy tax burden and it should serve the role we want it to - protecting the children.

One way in and one way out should be emphasized. Personal anecdote here: I live in a neighborhood with around a thousand homes but there is only one entrance. The back of the neighborhood would be easy to come in on foot but you couldn't bring a vehicle through it. We haven't had one break in, one house vandalized, one shooting, nothing...In 50+ years. Why not put the same in place for school campuses?

I mean if you think about it, gated communities and businesses with security guards are typically safer and therefore less inclined to have a mass shooting. Why can't we do this for our schools? If done properly the first time, it should not be a heavy tax burden and it should serve the role we want it to - protecting the children.

One way in and one way out should be emphasized. Personal anecdote here: I live in a neighborhood with around a thousand homes but there is only one entrance. The back of the neighborhood would be easy to come in on foot but you couldn't bring a vehicle through it. We haven't had one break in, one house vandalized, one shooting, nothing...In 50+ years. Why not put the same in place for school campuses?

Because schools are supposed to be welcoming, inviting places for children to learn and grow. And schools should be able to accommodate hundreds of vehicles on a daily basis.

Yeah, agreed, it's shitty and it's sad. No civ should ever have the right to carry a killing tool like many of the rifles on the market. I am for strict, strict gun control. Congress on neither side is going to do anything, at all, to change the second amendment. The odds of any marked changes are right up there with Wake Hoops winning a natty this year.

No one has to change the second amendment. Assault rifles have been banned before. They could be banned again. They are banned at the state level.

"We would have to amend the second amendment" is a red herring.

No one has to change the second amendment. Assault rifles have been banned before. They could be banned again. They are banned at the state level.

Right. Republicans let a law lapse and interpreted the 2nd amendment to restrict laws. Both can be dialed back by voting for Democrats and empowering them to do something.

Because schools are supposed to be welcoming, inviting places for children to learn and grow. And schools should be able to accommodate hundreds of vehicles on a daily basis.

Every car pickup line would be like crossing the border from Tijuana.

But Cletus still gets to be Chuck Norris on his weekends, so it's probably worth it.

Agreed. I painted a poor picture of this yesterday. I'm not saying we should make the schools look like a prison. I think we could accomplish this while keeping the campus aesthetically pleasing and kids free roaming. Each student, parent, guardian has a key fab that they can scan to get in and out. Guests would go through the friendly guard gate. I don't foresee a log jam of cars trying to get into campus if everyone is equipped with the right scanner to get in. I don't think kids would mind a gate guard on campus to alert the school of any weird shit going on. Could this get dicey with the scanners getting in the wrong hands? Of course it could, but it's a start.

I'm simply tossing around ideas that to me seem a bit more achievable.

And I'm agreeing with you. They should be banned.

Agreed. I painted a poor picture of this yesterday. I'm not saying we should make the schools look like a prison. I think we could accomplish this while keeping the campus aesthetically pleasing and kids free roaming. Each student, parent, guardian has a key fab that they can scan to get in and out. Guests would go through the friendly guard gate. I don't foresee a log jam of cars trying to get into campus if everyone is equipped with the right scanner to get in. I don't think kids would mind a gate guard on campus to alert the school of any weird shit going on. Could this get dicey with the scanners getting in the wrong hands? Of course it could, but it's a start.

I'm simply tossing around ideas that to me seem a bit more achievable.

Have you been around a large public school when kids are arriving or leaving?

Every car pickup line would be like crossing the border from Tijuana.

But Cletus still gets to be Chuck Norris on his weekends, so it's probably worth it.

Not sure if this is directed towards me. I've made it clear where I stand on this matter.

This fortress movable? You bringing the fortress with you too all school functions? Off campus prom is canceled!

Have you been around a large public school when kids are arriving or leaving?

Yeah, I've never attended a private school in my life. I just think there's ways to play off of my idea and make it work. Maybe it's 3 gate protected entrances? I don't know, I'm not a lawmaker or an architect. I'm simply trying to come up with ideas that'll add protection to our schools. Maybe a group of smart people can take my idea and make sense out of it. I see that happening before anything is banned, sadly.

Not sure if this is directed towards me. I've made it clear where I stand on this matter.

It's directed at folks who believe any gun restrictions are too great a cost to bear, because it's just about curtailing someone's recreational activity. AR-15s aren't going to stop the US Government from drone striking your house to the Stone Age or rolling a tank down your street, and even gun nuts admit that they are not great hunting or home defense weapons.

This fortress movable? You bringing the fortress with you too all school functions? Off campus prom is canceled!

hur hur hur.

I'm speaking on protecting school grounds. But please, you guys continue to mock me for posting reasonable ideas that could be long term solutions to a problem that has no end in sight.

It's directed at folks who believe any gun restrictions are too great a cost to bear, because it's just about curtailing someone's recreational activity. AR-15s aren't going to stop the US Government from drone striking your house to the Stone Age or rolling a tank down your street, and even gun nuts admit that they are not great hunting or home defense weapons.

Right, I agree and everyone aside from Lectro, the GOP and NRA agree with this post.

Yeah, I've never attended a private school in my life. I just think there's ways to play off of my idea and make it work. Maybe it's 3 gate protected entrances? I don't know, I'm not a lawmaker or an architect. I'm simply trying to come up with ideas that'll add protection to our schools. Maybe a group of smart people can take my idea and make sense out of it. I see that happening before anything is banned, sadly.

You're probably talking about more miles of walls than the entire border wall that's already not worth what it costs. Mass shootings are also not limited to schools. That's why this plan of turning schools into Helm's Deep is an intentional distraction floated by the NRA and conservatives to distract from the real challenge of passing difficult legislation. They know they have to act though, because those pesky survivors/victims aren't going away so easily this time. They are betting on us all being idiots.

Back