• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CNN Townhall with Parkland Students, Rubio, NRA and others

Agreed. I painted a poor picture of this yesterday. I'm not saying we should make the schools look like a prison. I think we could accomplish this while keeping the campus aesthetically pleasing and kids free roaming. Each student, parent, guardian has a key fab that they can scan to get in and out. Guests would go through the friendly guard gate. I don't foresee a log jam of cars trying to get into campus if everyone is equipped with the right scanner to get in. I don't think kids would mind a gate guard on campus to alert the school of any weird shit going on. Could this get dicey with the scanners getting in the wrong hands? Of course it could, but it's a start.

I'm simply tossing around ideas that to me seem a bit more achievable.

Ok, so I want to shoot up kids at the school. The school is a fortress, so I can't do that. Ok, guess I will go to the mall, or to any hangout places where kids will be. Plenty dead, but school is safe.

The problem is always going to be guns that exist just to kill many people fast.

The Parkland school had a single point of entry that checks IDs and a security guard. The shooter got in because they open gates at the end of the day to allow the 3,000 students to leave.

hur hur hur.

I'm speaking on protecting school grounds. But please, you guys continue to mock me for posting reasonable ideas that could be long term solutions to a problem that has no end in sight.

It's not a reasonable idea. My wife works at an older elementary school in a flood zone that has freaking asbestos and mold all over the place. They just got approved for a bond for a new school, which will probably be completed and move in in maybe a decade. Are schools are extremely underfunded as is, and all of the sudden we have magic infinity dollars to funnel through pet private contractors and the god damn gun manufacturers to turn more than 100,000 schools into mini-military basis? I will take a pass on that as a "reasonable" solution.

You're probably talking about more miles of walls than the entire border wall that's already not worth what it costs. Mass shootings are also not limited to schools. That's why this plan of turning schools into Helm's Deep is an intentional distraction floated by the NRA and conservatives to distract from the real challenge of passing difficult legislation. They know they have to act though, because those pesky survivors/victims aren't going away so easily this time. They are betting on us all being idiots.

I'm simply talking about schools. We are never going to be able to stop mass murders in public places, even if we do ban assault rifles. By "privatizing" schools with some grounds of protection, it would inevitably curtail the school shootings.

My plan does indeed get dicey with the amount of fencing and gated protection that you speak of.

It's not a reasonable idea. My wife works at an older elementary school in a flood zone that has freaking asbestos and mold all over the place. They just got approved for a bond for a new school, which will probably be completed and move in in maybe a decade. Are schools are extremely underfunded as is, and all of the sudden we have magic infinity dollars to funnel through pet private contractors and the god damn gun manufacturers to turn more than 100,000 schools into mini-military basis? I will take a pass on that as a "reasonable" solution.

Like you said, if it means Cletus can pretend to be Chuck Norris with all of his buddies, I could see the funding magically appear.

can't wait for the shit 4' chain-link fence the poor neighborhoods vs the mulched, tree screened walls the wealthy schools get

Then why fall into the trap of saying it will never happen because we'll never change the second amendment?

I'm passionate that we completely overhaul our gun legislation but I am the least bit confident that anything substantial will happen. Hopefully I'm wrong.

can't wait for the shit 4' chain-link fence the poor neighborhoods vs the mulched, tree screened walls the wealthy schools get

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Has to be government funded at a federal level and based on square footage of school grounds, as well as number of students. This is a "wall" that I could support. I'd be OK with paying extra $50 a year for our schools to be pimped out with protection.

Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Has to be government funded at a federal level and based on square footage of school grounds, as well as number of students. This is a "wall" that I could support. I'd be OK with paying extra $50 a year for our schools to be pimped out with protection.

I would vote against it. Think it would be a huge waste of money and resources. At best, you would be buying a little piece of mind for the parents without actually solving the problem.

Like you said, if it means Cletus can pretend to be Chuck Norris with all of his buddies, I could see the funding magically appear.

At what cost? You think Republicans are going to roll back their freshly spent tax cuts? Not a fucking chance. They will take the money out of other social programs. Hell, they will probably take the funds directly from actually education expenditures and pay them directly to private contractors that contributed to their campaigns and just got their taxes cuts. I'll pass.

We have a gun problem. It's mortally obvious. The momentum is growing to act. I am as cynical as they come, but I think this wave carries us into November. If we are still hearing about Emma Gonzalez this summer, the GOP is in huge trouble.

If you have a fob system for current students to get in, how do you address current students from shooting up the school Columbine style?

Seems like we're just going way out of the way to avoid addressing the actual issue.

Anyone who argues with a straight face that decreasing X item won't also decrease things resulting from the existence of X isn't living in reality. This is why, when it boils down to it, people instead resort to the argument of "oh well you can never take people's guns" - because that is more practical (but not more palatable in my opinion) in 2018 America. However, this doesn't give you carte blanche to say "why try."

The number of households/percentage of Americans with guns is on the decline and so, it would follow, that the number of Americans who would vote to preserve gun rights at basically any cost is also decreasing. The "why try" line makes no sense at all and at its core that's where the "it will never happen" crew starts out.

Further, if you believe that people who want to kill others will find a way to get guns so "why try [to restrict gun ownership]" then you must also not believe policing or passing laws works period.

I thought conservatives were for smaller government? Or is that only when two rights go head to head and the pecking order must be established (where guns will seemingly always win out for the right)?

At what cost? You think Republicans are going to roll back their freshly spent tax cuts? Not a fucking chance. They will take the money out of other social programs. Hell, they will probably take the funds directly from actually education expenditures and pay them directly to private contractors that contributed to their campaigns and just got their taxes cuts. I'll pass.

We have a gun problem. It's mortally obvious. The momentum is growing to act. I am as cynical as they come, but I think this wave carries us into November. If we are still hearing about Emma Gonzalez this summer, the GOP is in huge trouble.

Yep. They're going to be bitching about Nancy Pelosi while Emma Gonzalez is rallying 18 year olds to show up to the polls.

I am looking forward to the conservative conspiracy theories showing David Hogg dopplegangers voting in multiple states or rumors that the Parkland survivors bused in 17 year olds with fake IDs to vote.

hur hur hur.

I'm speaking on protecting school grounds. But please, you guys continue to mock me for posting reasonable ideas that could be long term solutions to a problem that has no end in sight.

Thankyou. For the purpose of getting something done we must harden the target. We can drone on and on about legislative proposals but something has to be done today. Legislation is not gonna change anything. Absolutely Nothing.

If you have a fob system for current students to get in, how do you address current students from shooting up the school Columbine style?

Seems like we're just going way out of the way to avoid addressing the actual issue.

Anyone who argues with a straight face that decreasing X item won't also decrease things resulting from the existence of X isn't living in reality. This is why, when it boils down to it, people instead resort to the argument of "oh well you can never take people's guns" - because that is more practical (but not more palatable in my opinion) in 2018 America. However, this doesn't give you carte blanche to say "why try."

The number of households/percentage of Americans with guns is on the decline and so, it would follow, that the number of Americans who would vote to preserve gun rights at basically any cost is also decreasing. The "why try" line makes no sense at all and at its core that's where the "it will never happen" crew starts out.

Further, if you believe that people who want to kill others will find a way to get guns so "why try [to restrict gun ownership]" then you must also not believe policing or passing laws works period.

Oh, I'll try. I'll vote for the legislatures that swear to us they'll get it done, I'll continue to have the discussions with friends and family members pushing into them exactly what we are all talking about today. I am not leaning on my "it will never happen" opinion and saying we shouldn't try. I'm simply throwing out other ideas that I think could gain some traction, and I don't give a shit who shares those ideas. I don't listen to the NRA, nor do I share any of their ideology.

Thankyou. For the purpose of getting something done we must harden the target. We can drone on and on about legislative proposals but something has to be done today. Legislation is not gonna change anything. Absolutely Nothing.

Can't even go two sentences without mentioning targets and drones. Somebody put this nut on a watch list.

Great. Now what about preventing shootings like Vegas, Aurora, Pulse nightclub, Charleston, Virginia Tech, Gabby Giffords, etc?

Back