• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CNN Townhall with Parkland Students, Rubio, NRA and others

Agreed. You need to start somewhere and I applaud anyone who is willing take those first baby steps. But banning bump stocks is a drop in the bucket in solving this problem. We need to be looking at it holistically and attack it from all angles...assault weapons ban, background checks, your idea on school security, mental health, better coordination between law enforcement/education/health providers and yes maybe even a few more armed guards in schools. I don't know if this is the right combination or even the right tactics but I know we need a comprehensive approach. Unfortunately to accomplish something of this magnitude, you need leaders who can actually inspire, influence other people and coordinate with very large bureaucratic organizations. It's not easy but it's certainly possible. It's actually something our government did very well up until blind partisanship took over.

I retract the more armed guards suggestion above.

I retract the more armed guards suggestion above.

Huh. So the good guy with a gun didn’t stop the bad guy with a gun? This guy is going to have a heavy conscience.

Anyone that calls themselves a proud NRA member is an awful person.

It’s opinions like this that are going to polarize sides, make comprimise impossible, and lead to more deaths of innocent people. You sir have blood on your hands.

You mean like the 129 dead Parisians killed with AK-47’s acquired illegally from Eastern Europe?

Keep reading those bs articles that claim people would find it difficult to get black market weapons

I always found the argument of "they'll just get these guns illegally!" to be a little soft. In almost all these cases, they aren't getting them illegally, so it's a moot point. If we added the hurdle of having to get their guns on the black market, that seems like a good thing, no? Most of these kids are anti-social, so I doubt they are going to easily maneuver around black market arms dealers without raising some flags. If the worst case of gun regulations are that criminals acquire guns illegally, well that's still an improvement.

Yeah. And we can pass more laws to make it even harder to get illegal weapons.

Good post and agreed.

Man, that Dana Loesch is a real bitch. I don't condone violence on anyone, but she has a punchable face and comes across as the most disingenuous person I've listened to in a long time. The way she and the rest of the NRA have handled this has been embarrassingly bad.

I swear she wasn’t this bad as a Tea Party darling 8-9 years ago. I remember seeing her on Bill Maher and CNN and she was a reasonable contrast to the foam mouthed people typically representing the tea party.

I don’t know if she sold her soul to the NRA or what. That “crying white women” line is going to motivate the legions of white women who are organizing and running for office.

Conservatives are openly mocking children who survived a mass shooting at CPAC. Remember a week ago when I said Republicans don’t care about school shooting victims?

Huh. So the good guy with a gun didn’t stop the bad guy with a gun? This guy is going to have a heavy conscience.

Is there some law about a deputy abandoning his duty?

I’m glad this is coming out.

What we need is compromise, understanding, and reasonable discussion. We will never get there. The argument has boiled down to this, if you think the government shouldn’t make the decisions about how you hose to protect your family the left thinks your an awful person. If you think we need to put regulations in place to stop mass murders the right thinks you are a commie coming to get their guns. Peoples voices in the middle are downed out and America remains fucked.

It’s opinions like this that are going to polarize sides, make comprimise impossible, and lead to more deaths of innocent people. You sir have blood on your hands.

There are people who call themselves proud, responsible gun owners. Those folks have a position that is different than mine, but I owe them the time and mental energy to listen and engage in conversation. There are people who are proud NRA members, and ALL OF THE FACTS dictate that they are awful people.

Agreed. You need to start somewhere and I applaud anyone who is willing take those first baby steps. But banning bump stocks is a drop in the bucket in solving this problem. We need to be looking at it holistically and attack it from all angles...assault weapons ban, background checks, your idea on school security, mental health, better coordination between law enforcement/education/health providers and yes maybe even a few more armed guards in schools. I don't know if this is the right combination or even the right tactics but I know we need a comprehensive approach. Unfortunately to accomplish something of this magnitude, you need leaders who can actually inspire, influence other people and coordinate with very large bureaucratic organizations. It's not easy but it's certainly possible. It's actually something our government did very well up until blind partisanship took over.

I applaud this post. This is, IMO, the mentality we all need right now.

Well, this is dumb. No sense in trying to reason with this, this is not rational.

If only we weren't so mean to ISIS, they wouldn't try to kill us. Blood is on our hands.

If you believe that you need an AR or AR like weapon, have no compelling reason for keeping it except my guns, you are an asshole, complicit in child murder, and aren’t worth the energy talking to because it’s like arguing with anti-vaxers and flat earthers, fucking crazy and not worth the air you breath.

Not the way LaPierre and what's her face have been talking in the last 24 hours

There are people who call themselves proud, responsible gun owners. Those folks have a position that is different than mine, but I owe them the time and mental energy to listen and engage in conversation. There are people who are proud NRA members, and ALL OF THE FACTS dictate that they are awful people.

This is a ludicrous opinion. To boil down the judgement of a person to only whether they support gun ownership is crazy.

Not the way LaPierre and what's her face have been talking in the last 24 hours

I mean I get that you can feel that way about people in the NRA itself, but not casual supporters. A lot of people feel like the NRA protects their right to protect their family in the way they chose, and that if not for the NRA gun ownership would be damn near impossible. It does not make them awful people, thinking that way shuts down conversation, which in turn leads to nothing getting accomplished.

Back