• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Insane Cost of Attending Wake Forest

Just like online conference calls are a terrible substitute for in person meetings, online discussion classes would be the worst.

Who are the teachers?

Find the best teachers (not just professors) to build an online course for their specialty. Some topics you'll want to update more often but many you can re-use that same class for years. Often many professors are already doing this.

Have Sam Altman teach a course on Entrepreneurship. Have Michael Porter give a course on Economics. Have Andrew Ng give a class on Artificial Intelligence. Have a Senior VP at partnered company teach a class on a subject important to their business and a part of their designed track.

Find the best teachers (not just professors) to build an online course for their specialty. Some topics you'll want to update more often but many you can re-use that same class for years. Often many professors are already doing this.

Have Sam Altman teach a course on Entrepreneurship. Have Michael Porter give a course on Economics. Have Andrew Ng give a class on Artificial Intelligence. Have a Senior VP at partnered company teach a class on a subject important to their business and a part of their designed track.

So who interacts with the students and assigns grades ? You know, who teaches ?

Based on the scale it would have to be a bunch of teaching assistants, "trained" by the best teachers around the world.

Could have some administrators/TAs but for many classes, don't even need them. Think of Khan academy. Most tests can be graded automatically and AI will only increase those abilities. Questions can be Quora style where other class members provide answers, and participation on the Q&A board is 10% of your grade.

Just like online conference calls are a terrible substitute for in person meetings, online discussion classes would be the worst.

As technology is improving, so will likely the method of discourse. Online meeting software has vastly improved the past few years but will only continue to do so, especially when you start leveraging augmented reality. But maybe classes have more message boards than live discussions.

And you’d still need all the lab facilities. Where is the cost savings coming from?

I'd guess 80% - 90% of courses wouldn't need lab facilities or anything more than what you can get online. But for those that do, maybe that major isn't offered? I think this would be a very good fit for law school but maybe not so much for med school?

I take continuing ed classes this way and fucking hate it.

So who interacts with the students and assigns grades ? You know, who teaches ?

Online courses with videos, readings, assignments, etc. Many tests can be graded automatically in the form of multiple choice. But the improvements in AI are soon getting to a point where they are besting humans at reading comprehension (https://www.technologyreview.com/th...hension-but-it-still-doesnt-truly-comprehend/). Technology may not be there today to grade everything but it's getting close.

Was just sent this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minerva_Schools_at_KGI

Seems to be a similar but slightly different model. All online but aimed at small classes. Interesting nonetheless.

Minerva has no classroom facilities, since all classes are conducted through an active learning platform developed by the school, focused on participation and intellectual engagement.

Courses are conducted as online seminars capped at 19 students. Minerva applies a 1972 study that shows that memory is enhanced by “deep” cognitive tasks. Such tasks include working with material, applying it, and arguing about it instead of rote memorization. All classes begin with a short quiz, with potentially a second one later in the class, that is claimed to increase retention. The automated recording of student performance allows tracking of progress

According to its Dean of Faculty, Stephen Kosslyn, Minerva has administered CLA+ tests on its own students and these results indicate that its pedagogy is working. Kossyln writes: "In fall 2016, Minerva freshmen performed in the 95th percentile compared to freshmen at other schools — we are highly selective, and expected a result like this. That same group, when compared to college seniors, performed at the 78th percentile as incoming freshmen. Then, by spring 2017, just 8 months later, those same Minerva freshmen performed at the 99th percentile when compared to the seniors at all the other institutions. But more than that: Minerva was ranked number 1 of all schools that administered the test."

I'm still trying to figure out how a university with no professors is going to be significantly cheaper. Professors are a relatively small cost compared to administrators and infrastructure and at research universities, professors are an important revenue stream and source of prestige.

I'm still trying to figure out how a university with no professors is going to be significantly cheaper. Professors are a relatively small cost compared to administrators and infrastructure and at research universities, professors are an important revenue stream and source of prestige.
Cost of a university's entire teaching faculty comes out to about $15,000 per student. A large chunk but not nearly enough to warrant choosing over traditional universities.

There is still a great deal of fluff spending occurring by universities. I think a no-teachers university would likely have students that are accepting a lower cost at the expense of whatever all that fluff may be. But I'll definitely admit I don't know where all those current tuition dollars are going or how cheap you could go.

Interesting charts.

213ddacbd13b5206b6d9f2bffd54f80b.jpg

317c3a69e06bcf4358ee2bd2d2db0512.jpg

39% of public tuition to teachers or research and 47% at private universities. That’s a large chunk that could be removed or significantly cut.

Link to the charts?

I'd imagine that the schools that spend that much on teaching staff would be ruined by your plan anyways. The better the school, the more likely that most of the teaching positions are endowed and not an annual budget line.

Item19942017
Wake Tuition1385051400 (3.71x)
Median Household Income3226459000 (1.83x)
Gallon of milk2.883.16 (1.10x)
Gallon of gas1.112.49 (2.24x)
Movie ticket4.088.97 (2.20x)
House price153600374800 (2.44x) This number kind of shocked me... source

#MovieTicketBubble

I'm pretty sure Ph just uses discussions from OGBoards to drive his daily lesson planning. I could have a C in Intro Sociology right now and not even know it.

Back