• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Insane Cost of Attending Wake Forest

Something’s got to be done about these movie prices too. Ph isn’t going to be able to take his whole family to every superhero movie that comes out at this rate.

We know that we’ll pay full freight if our kids go to Wake. The other shitty thing is how difficult it is to get into UNC-CH form Wake and Mecklenburg counties. If your a student with mostly As and some Bs, and AP and honors courses, the guidance counselor will tell you not to bother applying. Meanwhile they fill up the dorms with slackjaws from down east. UNC-CH would be. Top 15 school if it took the best students in the state instead of striving for geographic representation.

This is so true and frustrating.

I had the same concern living in Orange, Co since we're competing with Chapel Hill Schools, too. I considered UNC a coin flip, but others considered her a shoe in. I asked on the UNC tour 1) why UNC is 60/40 female (oh to be a straight guy at UNC!) and 2) does UNC have a quota system (x kids per county). They would not shed light on either.

The math is pretty easy if there is a county quota system. 6,000 person class, 100 counties means they'd take the top 60 kids from each county that apply. Top 60 kids in Wake or Meck is an excellent student. The 60th best student in BFE county is not the same quality student. Turkey and hog farmers want their kids at UNC, too.

The craziest number is that it would only cost $1500/year for "Personal Expenses". People must be wearing lots of dirty clothes. No one must have a car. Wake students must never go out on dates, or for beers or to the movies or anything else.

Hell, I couldn't get by with $150/month in 1974 and I got free pot.

I guess they thought $70,000 would have turned people off.

I had the same concern living in Orange, Co since we're competing with Chapel Hill Schools, too. I considered UNC a coin flip, but others considered her a shoe in. I asked on the UNC tour 1) why UNC is 60/40 female (oh to be a straight guy at UNC!) and 2) does UNC have a quota system (x kids per county). They would not shed light on either.

The math is pretty easy if there is a county quota system. 6,000 person class, 100 counties means they'd take the top 60 kids from each county that apply. Top 60 kids in Wake or Meck is an excellent student. The 60th best student in BFE county is not the same quality student. Turkey and hog farmers want their kids at UNC, too.

I don't think the quota system means they spread the entries equally across the counties - just that they have to save some certain percentage of entries for all those smaller counties - just like they save a certain percentage for kids from in NC.

Well said, awaken. Very well said.

Sports are one reason to get a family to pay a little extra to go to Wake and now we don’t have that.

My kids are in the 8-13 range and are big Wake fans. This past football season was the most exciting since 2006 and the soccer team plays in top 5 matchups constantly. They have a great time following both.

I guess times have changed. The chance to see ACC basketball worked for me. Twice.

I guess times have changed. The chance to see ACC basketball worked for me. Twice.

Wasn’t Wake’s basketball team terrible when you were growing up?

We had Rogers and Childress while Ph was in high school.

The average indebtedness of a Wake student after 4 years is $33,000 and for UNC is $20,000.

The average starting salary for a Wake grad is $52,000 and for UNC is $47,000.

We had Rogers and Childress while Ph was in high school.

That’s true. I was thinking about his middle school and late elementary years, when lots of kids start following sports, which were the Staak years.

Last edited:
I love the typical all in defense of Wake Forest. The cost is unjustifiable, unless you are getting a business degree every other major is useless and you should attend the cheapest state school option and save your money for law, medical or other advanced degree. Which also happen to be easier to get into because you crushed it at the cheaper easier state school receiving all As

I love the typical all in defense of Wake Forest. The cost is unjustifiable, unless you are getting a business degree every other major is useless and you should attend the cheapest state school option and save your money for law, medical or other advanced degree. Which also happen to be easier to get into because you crushed it at the cheaper easier state school receiving all As

This is incorrect. Wake Forest and other top schools prepare students for acceptance into medical school much better than the cheapest state school options. The odds of getting into medical school from Wake are much greater than they are from lower ranked schools and cheaper state school options.

This is incorrect. Wake Forest and other top schools prepare students for acceptance into medical school much better than the cheapest state school options. The odds of getting into medical school from Wake are much greater than they are from lower ranked schools and cheaper state school options.

Show the data. Please.

Show the data. Please.

I’m on the admissions committee of a medical school. There are many reasons that a student at Wake has advantages. First, all med schools have a formula to weed out a ton of applicants, and the formula gives a lot of weight to the quality of the undergrad school. Wake has a stellar rep in this regard. Second, Wake has a robust pre-med advising system, which is great preparation for all aspects of the process. Finally, Wake has a medical school and accepts many Wake undergrads each year. It’s a built-in feeder process that many schools just don’t have.

If you have a kid that wants to go to med school, they’ll do themselves a huge favor by going to a school like Wake.

I’m on the admissions committee of a medical school. There are many reasons that a student at Wake has advantages. First, all med schools have a formula to weed out a ton of applicants, and the formula gives a lot of weight to the quality of the undergrad school. Wake has a stellar rep in this regard. Second, Wake has a robust pre-med advising system, which is great preparation for all aspects of the process. Finally, Wake has a medical school and accepts many Wake undergrads each year. It’s a built-in feeder process that many schools just don’t have.

If you have a kid that wants to go to med school, they’ll do themselves a huge favor by going to a school like Wake.

If you had to speculate, assuming all other things are equal, do you think a UNC graduate with a 3.9 gpa or a Wake graduate with a 3.4 is more likely to get into UNC SOM?

The craziest number is that it would only cost $1500/year for "Personal Expenses". People must be wearing lots of dirty clothes. No one must have a car. Wake students must never go out on dates, or for beers or to the movies or anything else.

Hell, I couldn't get by with $150/month in 1974 and I got free pot.

I guess they thought $70,000 would have turned people off.

Free pot? Were you dealing?

I don't think the quota system means they spread the entries equally across the counties - just that they have to save some certain percentage of entries for all those smaller counties - just like they save a certain percentage for kids from in NC.

Yeah I don't think it's an equal number from each county. But no doubt it's easier to get in UNCCH from Onslow County than Wake County.

Back