• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Insane Cost of Attending Wake Forest

Ha, thanks Juice.

I really do try to be objective and use data, when available, with all discussions on here. I also try to avoid being dramatic. On this thread I posted the data on us news ranking, average debt, average salary, etc. I also tried to bring inside perspective regarding med school admissions. It seems the counter argument has been a lot of feelings and anecdotes, except for a few solid posts.

I don’t always agree with what’s going on with the AD. You may not have noticed, but Manning is driving me nuts and I’ve been critical of him.

Appreciate the data, but missing is the data of family wealth for students at UNC vs. Wake. Debt, financial aid, and even salaries are not apples to apples if Wake is bringing in kids from much wealthier families.

There are students graduating from Wake with more than 100,000.00 in debt.

Now, it’s up to everyone to determine what is right for themselves. But I wouldn’t recommend anyone assuming that kind of debt for an undergraduate degree. Yes, from MSD or anywhere else.

Appreciate the data, but missing is the data of family wealth for students at UNC vs. Wake. Debt, financial aid, and even salaries are not apples to apples if Wake is bringing in kids from much wealthier families.

Or data on acceptance rates to med school by undergrad university.

it's a fantastic academic school, but not widely known nationally. whether or not you consider it elite probably depends on how much weight you put on the latter.

Lol. Second tier list? It's not a regional colleges list, silly, it's the national SLAC rankings. You know, like Amherst, Williams, Middlebury, Davidson.

If they were so elite, you would think they would warrant comparison on the real list.

Here's my sitch. 529's for two kids are pretty well funded for public university. Can probably afford to cash flow the balance of private tuition if that's the choice. However, would rather save the money for grad school if that's a future option. No way we'll ever get a penny of tuition assistance outside of a loan. Kids are in 4th and 6th grade now, so it's kinda hard to tell.

My 6th grade daughter is a good student, but is going to have a hard time getting into UNC-CH as a female from Charlotte. She would be glad to go to Wake. I doubt I would ever send her to State. Would rather send her to USC or Clemson. Georgia is pretty difficult to get into out of state.

My 4th grade son is a freaking miser and would never want to overpay for college. Also, his current career choice is fishing guide with accompanying dockside seafood restaurant, so a landlocked university may not be the best choice.

If they were so elite, you would think they would warrant comparison on the real list.

Doesn't work that way. The schools are grouped in the rankings based on the number and level of degrees they award and other factors. The fact that Davidson isn't ranked in the same group with Wake and others doesn't make them less "elite." You'd be hard pressed to argue, for example, that UCLA is more "elite" than Williams.

So in fairness to Rafi, yes, Davidson is elite.

My oldest son is a HS senior and his only two applications were to Wake and South Carolina. I went to Wake, wife went to USC. He got a full academic scholarship to USC and we will not get a penny of assistance in any shape way or form at Wake. And the kid is leaning hard toward Wake. Just my luck. Right now, I regret taking him to hundreds of Wake games and him growing up wearing Wake gear almost every day. So the choices free vs $70k a year. I love Wake as much as anyone but I’m just not sure it’s worth it.

There’s a day at USC for the scnholarship kids and their families coming up in a few weeks. Needless to say, I’m hoping they put on a hell of a show down there that day.

Hopefully they’ll give him some radio presents. I’ve heard that works well at USC.

I do like Rafi’s description for getting into med school as elite private school with an associated med school instead of elite private school with an elite associated med school because Wakes med school doesn’t fit that description.

Similar to biff I’m planning for UNC tuition as a rough guide in my 529 targets, but I realize getting into UNC from this county is a tall task. Hopefully things change by the time they get to HS. Plus I should probably focus on them learning to read and walk first, before concerning myself too much with college tuition.

Le child unit going to Wake Forest isn't even a conversation in our home. Sure, he gets older and is academically gifted and Wake Forest wants him or big scholarships are in the cards, great. But the part where we pay for him to go to WFU or allow child to incur massive debt to do so? Nope.

Back