• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Insane Cost of Attending Wake Forest

I love MSD, and I wouldn't trade my experience at Wake for anything; however, I definitely regret the amount of money my family paid for me to attend + the amount of student loans I had to take out and repay after graduation.

My oldest son is a HS senior and his only two applications were to Wake and South Carolina. I went to Wake, wife went to USC. He got a full academic scholarship to USC and we will not get a penny of assistance in any shape way or form at Wake. And the kid is leaning hard toward Wake. Just my luck. Right now, I regret taking him to hundreds of Wake games and him growing up wearing Wake gear almost every day. So the choices free vs $70k a year. I love Wake as much as anyone but I’m just not sure it’s worth it.

There’s a day at USC for the scnholarship kids and their families coming up in a few weeks. Needless to say, I’m hoping they put on a hell of a show down there that day.

My heart was set on Wake - I'm sure my parents wanted to dissuade me (because of the financial burden), but they didn't.

If they were so elite, you would think they would warrant comparison on the real list.
They generally don't give doctoral degrees. They are usually much more selective than R1s. They have teaching-centered missions but still hire faculty based on research. SLACs are simply a different kind of school than those on the Research University list. Wake is really a strange exception to the general categories we use to think about tertiary educational institutions.

They generally don't give doctoral degrees. They are usually much more selective than R1s. They have teaching-centered missions but still hire faculty based on research. SLACs are simply a different kind of school than those on the Research University list. Wake is really a strange exception to the general categories we use to think about tertiary educational institutions.

Where do you think Davidson would fall on the National List?

What difference does it make ? It's a very good school.

This is the right response. But since you seem hung up on lists, Forbes does a list with all US colleges. Davidson is 34 and Wake is 60.

you could always move to atlanta

That's not much help due to the Hope Scholarship, which was designed to keep Georgia's best students at home. As a corollary to that, students in Atlanta are leaving private schools they've attended since age five in 11th or 12th grade to attend their local public high school because it gives them a better chance of getting into Georgia.

What difference does it make ? It's a very good school.

Wondering what people's definition of elite is. Hearing multiple people call Davidson an elite private school is surprising, as my perception has always been that it is basically Wake's little brother - a super small, academically focused school that has little to no reach past the SE region.

Is that OK with you?

This is the right response. But since you seem hung up on lists, Forbes does a list with all US colleges. Davidson is 34 and Wake is 60.

Don't get your panties in a wad when someone asks you to clarify your subjective rankings.

Davidson is a better school than Wake. Neither are elite.

Yes, the Ayo argument of not elite. Where he discounts that there are something like 4500 degree granting colleges in the United States making Wake greater than a 1%er.

true; there is only one elite school in this great nation:

BN-QW339_TRUMPU_GR_20161118120620.jpg

seriously though, how the hell do you guys know so much about admissions practices/strategies

Wondering what people's definition of elite is. Hearing multiple people call Davidson an elite private school is surprising, as my perception has always been that it is basically Wake's little brother - a super small, academically focused school that has little to no reach past the SE region.

Is that OK with you?

Yes, that's fine with me. I don't know. Davidson has produced more US presidents than Wake and one NBA basketball player has done enough for the school's name recognition as Duncan and Paul did for Wake. I know a woman who is now a leading AIDS researcher at Duke who went to Davidson for undergrad and had to fight to get into Harvard for med school because the admissions people weren't familiar enough with the school.

I was trying to soft pedal this, but it's really true, especially the "Neither are elite" part.

People choose schools for different reasons though. I wouldn't go to a school as small as Davidson.

Yes Davidson is an awesome school. The fact that it was discussed for two pages on a Wake tuition thread pretty much confirms this.

Anyway, to emphasize my earlier question, are any of the Wake Will donation funds going towards lowering tuition? They sold that as a point when the campaign was started....that tuition was high because alumni contributions were low. So now that the donor cash has rolled in will tuition stay so high that it takes six figures in debt to graduate from Wake in a world where attendance at a subsequent graduate school is a given for any kind of stable long term success?

Yes Davidson is an awesome school. The fact that it was discussed for two pages on a Wake tuition thread pretty much confirms this.

Anyway, to emphasize my earlier question, are any of the Wake Will donation funds going towards lowering tuition? They sold that as a point when the campaign was started....that tuition was high because alumni contributions were low. So now that the donor cash has rolled in will tuition stay so high that it takes six figures in debt to graduate from Wake in a world where attendance at a subsequent graduate school is a given for any kind of stable long term success?

LOL.

I've said it before, but this is not only wrong but coming from a place of great (and probably unacknowledged) privilege. Most Americans who go to college will go to community colleges, not four year schools. Of those that do attend four year colleges, there are literally thousands of schools you've never even heard of where students work hard to receive degrees and improve their job prospects etc. We can argue about what "elite" means to you individually, but suggesting that wake and Davidson are not elite institutions reflects your problems with scope.

Back