• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Insane Cost of Attending Wake Forest

Yes Davidson is an awesome school. The fact that it was discussed for two pages on a Wake tuition thread pretty much confirms this.

Anyway, to emphasize my earlier question, are any of the Wake Will donation funds going towards lowering tuition? They sold that as a point when the campaign was started....that tuition was high because alumni contributions were low. So now that the donor cash has rolled in will tuition stay so high that it takes six figures in debt to graduate from Wake in a world where attendance at a subsequent graduate school is a given for any kind of stable long term success?

The average price paid should come down, but the list price probably won't. A high list price enables price discrimination.

I don't want to pile on, but it's pretty obvious that Weak Florist is a big waste of money. I have lots of successful friends who went to Charlotte, including my self. And Davidson is just as much of a waste but its close 2 the lake.

Interesting thread here for me because I went to Wake as well as my three siblings. Three of us married Wake grads. I was the oldest, my youngest brother graduated nine years later. All of us have very different careers. Also, My daughter is a junior in high school and strongly considering Wake.

Family was firmly middle class growing up, so all of us worked through college and ended up with some student debt, but none of us have complained that it was unbearable.

I'm one of those who fits more of Rafi's perspective on Wake. I would have never even considered medical school except for the fact that when I got to campus, there were 85 other people in my class of 1000 that were thinking about it and talking about it. The exposure that I received from those conversations, the easy access to volunteering at the hospital, and the fact that my teachers really did care about my education led me to explore the practice of medicine. Additionally, when I applied, I was told by the admissions committee at the medical school I attended that the fact that I went to Wake made my application look much better than many other students who had higher GPAs but went to what are considered less "academically prestigious" schools.

You can get a good education at just about any school, but my perspective is that because of its size and general emphasis on an undergraduate education, it's easier to do this at Wake. It was well worth it for me and my family.

And yet you can't produce any data on which school give you the best chance of getting into med school.

I'm going to assume this is a sincere question, as it's a reasonable question in the setting of this discussion. I'm just often not sure with this board...

Good pre-med programs keep this information. They never publish it, though they'll sometimes share some of it with their students and sometimes publish snippets that make them look good. The best pre-med programs track how many students indicate "pre-med" at matriculation, how many receive pre-med advising, how many take the MCAT (and mean score), how many apply, and how many are accepted (and to how many schools). So, you won't ever find this data. You might find some subjective lists online, but you won't find actual data.

I don't want to pile on, but it's pretty obvious that Weak Florist is a big waste of money. I have lots of successful friends who went to Charlotte, including my self. And Davidson is just as much of a waste but its close 2 the lake.

I don't think you're really piling on here...at least not in the sense of adding to similar voices.

You're not wrong about any of this, I just think the definition of "elite" should be broader than you do. If we want to call this the "top tier," sure, though I'd knock of Swarthmore and Dartmouth (and then probably Williams and Amherst too).

This kind of list discounts the fact that a student at Williams is going to have an entirely different educational experience than a student at CalTech. The SLACs on your list could never make a dent in any R1 ranking, which is why inventing a category of eliteness without qualification is not really very useful.

Cool that you're just out to trigger me though.

US News ranks Dartmouth as the #11 national university. How isn't that "elite" or "top tier"?

Williams, Amherst and Swarthmore are the #1, #2 and T#3 liberal arts colleges in the country. How is that not either "top tier" or "elite"?

13159.jpeg

US News ranks Dartmouth as the #11 national university. How isn't that "elite" or "top tier"?

Williams, Amherst and Swarthmore are the #1, #2 and T#3 liberal arts colleges in the country. How is that not either "top tier" or "elite"?

You are so lazy.

1) i have been arguing in this thread for expanding the definition of "elite". I was one of the people arguing that wake and Davidson were elite schools, so i clearly think Dartmouth is an elite school.

2) Ayo listed 16 schools he considered elite. I said that the definition of elite should be broader, but i could see those he listed constituting a top tier. If that list were to constitute a top tier, i said I'd eliminate Swarthmore and Dartmouth (and the other two SLACs). I think Dartmouth is a very, very good school, but not a school i consider to be top ten (or twelve). I'd even add a couple that his list missed. I spend a lot of time thinking about these things, perhaps even more than you do.

3) if you paid any attention you'd see a point I've made several times about SLACs like Williams, Amherst and Swarthmore. I don't believe they should be compared to national research universities for a number of reasons I've already addressed.

What this thread has taught me:

1. Wake grads have a pretty weird complex about tiny Davidson College. Not sure why. Nice little selective liberal arts school, not a university, not the same kind of school as Wake, apples and oranges. But the obsession.....?

2. Nobody on here has the vaguest idea whether or not any of the Wake Will campaign money will go towards lowering tuition as was originally contemplated when the campaign was rolled out. That was definitely part of the original marketing and justification for the capital campaign. If there's no decrease in tuition and overall student cost after they trolled all that money, then fuck admin and the school in general.

I don’t think the campaign was designed to lower tuition generally (?).

But yes, to provide more tuition aid for low-middle income students with very good-outstanding credentials. It has reportedly done this, effectively lowering tuition for (more of) these folks.

What this thread has taught me:

2. Nobody on here has the vaguest idea whether or not any of the Wake Will campaign money will go towards lowering tuition as was originally contemplated when the campaign was rolled out. That was definitely part of the original marketing and justification for the capital campaign. If there's no decrease in tuition and overall student cost after they trolled all that money, then fuck admin and the school in general.

1/3 of the Wake Will money goes to student financial aid. Here’s the information http://wakewill.wfu.edu/#sol

and so those who can "afford" it will continue to see a $300k price tag*

*increasing annually at a rate 2-3 times inflation

So I ran the cost calculator in the link at my original post. My wife and I both work and we have modest savings and minimal debt. No luxury life/second home, no club memberships, just a 2000 sq. foot house and two cars (Ford an Volkswagen SUVs, paid off) two kids and a dog and a summer vacation to a VRBO somewhere in the country every year.

My Wake freight if my daughter was starting next year: $71,000. And that's with the silly $1,500 cost of living allowance.

So let's make it $90,000 a year just to play somewhat honest ball. $360K for an undergrad degree and grad school likely to follow?

Nope. Disgusting.

Go Gators!

Or USF Bulls?:wtf:

Back