• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Insane Cost of Attending Wake Forest

Brangus

Reaction score
And we all know this estimate excludes some things. I've been giving money to the school annually (targeted donations, not general) and the athletic program for years. But I don't even want to take my daughter up to see my alma mater because of the price tag. I realize this is far from the first thread on this, but has anything changed???? All this money they have bragged about raising....are there any plans to lower tuition? Seriously, at this point, Dave Clawson and nostalgia for my time at MSD are the only reasons I have yet to outwardly mutter the words "Fuck Wake Forest" in the company of others....

http://financialaid.wfu.edu/cost-of-attendance/

Yep.

My son graduated from MSD in 2014 and literally has to have been the last middle class income student to have done so. Still working hard to pay back the PLUS loan.

If both his parents had not been Wake grads no way we would have committed to such an expense.

My kids didn't even apply, but mostly for other reasons. Supposedly they do have a lot of money to give and not that many kids actually pay full price, but I don't know the real facts on that. Total cost of attendance my freshman year was definitely less than $5000. I'm old but not THAT old. If costs of attendance had matched inflation during that time, total coast of attendance today would be around $11,000.

I think they help you if you are from pretty modest means and academically very strong.

If you have some means and are not super competitive academically (enough to win scholarship $)...you pay the full fare.

The price seems astonishing and daunting. Though, amazingly, not out of line for topish private school. And I think (and hope) you do get a lot for the money...

I think they help you if you are from pretty modest means and academically very strong.

If you have some means and are not super competitive academically (enough to win scholarship $)...you pay the full fare.

The price seems astonishing and daunting. Though, amazingly, not out of line for topish private school. And I think (and hope) you do get a lot for the money...

Doubtful

Filled out the net cost estimator. Full freight for my spawn.

tenor.gif

All private colleges have similar price tags. Almost no one pays full price. Wake is the #23 best value college in the USNews 2018 report.

My daughter is a HS Senior and just got accepted to UNC. Still waiting on Duke and Va Tech. Wake doesn't have her major, but she said that her internet research indicated that the average Wake student graduates with almost $40k student debt (that may be high, but that is what she said). Duke was $20k (they max their annual student loan debt at $5k/yr). UNC will require zero debt. Wake was never a consideration.

I would have liked to have raised my kids as Deacon fans, but they came of age during the []aster, Manning, and Grobe's lean years. Hard to get kids interested in hopelessly losing sports teams.

After UNC skated NCAA punishment, it became apparent that they are so well connected locally and nationally that it is hard to resist being part of a network that strong.

But these ultra-high price tags, especially at private universities, are to gouge the uber rich. They're not something a regular person sees. I suppose schools realize they may scare off regular customers, but it is worth it in the long run I guess.

Well said, awaken. Very well said.

Sports are one reason to get a family to pay a little extra to go to Wake and now we don’t have that.

True or not, my sense is that Wake discounts significantly if you fit a profile they want. I know a couple families from small towns that receive tremendous discounts. However, all of my friends from Charlotte are paying full price for their kids.

So “average price” for a family from Boone or some other small town, or some other state, is significantly lower than the average price for a family from Charlotte metro.

Item19942017
Wake Tuition1385051400 (3.71x)
Median Household Income3226459000 (1.83x)
Gallon of milk2.883.16 (1.10x)
Gallon of gas1.112.49 (2.24x)
Movie ticket4.088.97 (2.20x)
House price153600374800 (2.44x) This number kind of shocked me... source

Something’s got to be done about these movie prices too. Ph isn’t going to be able to take his whole family to every superhero movie that comes out at this rate.

We know that we’ll pay full freight if our kids go to Wake. The other shitty thing is how difficult it is to get into UNC-CH form Wake and Mecklenburg counties. If your a student with mostly As and some Bs, and AP and honors courses, the guidance counselor will tell you not to bother applying. Meanwhile they fill up the dorms with slackjaws from down east. UNC-CH would be. Top 15 school if it took the best students in the state instead of striving for geographic representation.

All private colleges have similar price tags. Almost no one pays full price. Wake is the #23 best value college in the USNews 2018 report.

Only about 30 percent of Wake students receive need-based aid.

If both the underlined statements are true, how are the majority of students avoiding full-sticker price?

The other shitty thing is how difficult it is to get into UNC-CH form Wake and Mecklenburg counties. If your a student with mostly As and some Bs, and AP and honors courses, the guidance counselor will tell you not to bother applying. Meanwhile they fill up the dorms with slackjaws from down east. UNC-CH would be. Top 15 school if it took the best students in the state instead of striving for geographic representation.

I've told my wife that we're moving to Gates County before our oldest starts 11th grade.

Item19942017
Wake Tuition1385051400 (3.71x)
Median Household Income3226459000 (1.83x)
Gallon of milk2.883.16 (1.10x)
Gallon of gas1.112.49 (2.24x)
Movie ticket4.088.97 (2.20x)
House price153600374800 (2.44x) This number kind of shocked me... source

I doubt the house price comparison is apples to apples - I believe median house sizes have also been increasing steadily.

Back