• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

West Virginia Teachers Strike

Noticed some celebration regarding a state senator in the West Virginia teachers' hashtag. It looks like the teachers got a win at the ballot box.

WV Senate: Lindsay beats Hunt in 8th, Hamilton ousts Karnes in 11th

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Hamilton had 6,789 votes (62 percent) to Karnes’ 4,127 votes (37 percent).

The race was considered significant since it pitted Hamilton, a moderate Republican backed by organized labor and teachers unions, against Karnes, who describes himself as one of the most conservative members of the Senate, and whose first term has been confrontational and contentious.

While Hamilton is a rare Republican who opposed right-to-work and supported retaining prevailing wage rate for state-funded construction projects, Karnes has frequently sparred with labor, notably calling union members “free riders” during a floor speech, and sponsoring bills this session that striking teachers contended targeted them and their union leadership.

surprised there isn't much chatter about the NC strike (perhaps it's elsewhere)

will be interesting to see how it plays out

Because it's a one day demonstration, i don't think it brings about any immediate changes, but it has made a lot of legislators and BOE members go on record with support or speaking against the action, which will come into play heavily in November

I saw three teachers in red t-shirts at lunch in Charlotte protesting by drinking beer.

working from home with my kid today and wearing #redfored. Berger and Co. don't give 2 craps about the teachers, the only way to get change is to break the supermajority this fall. It's good that the teachers are mobilizing and bringing attention to the cause and making the Bergerbots take the position that they're categorically against funding education and categorically for more tax cuts for people who don't need them.

Today is a shot across the bow to the NCGA. I think the legislators would do well to tread lightly, but we all know their egos are way too big for all that.

Average teacher salary in NC is 50,000 dollars. That is about the best paying part time job you are going to find, throw in pension plans and benefits and they are doing great. I wish teachers would stop whining and start teaching. My step mom teaches at the career center because she wants to teach kids, not bitch in Raleigh.

It's May. Do you think teachers haven't been teaching this whole school year?

Average teacher salary in NC is 50,000 dollars. That is about the best paying part time job you are going to find, throw in pension plans and benefits and they are doing great. I wish teachers would stop whining and start teaching. My step mom teaches at the career center because she wants to teach kids, not bitch in Raleigh.

When you account for inflation, NC teachers have had an 11.3% paycut over the past 15 years.

Along with 7,500 eliminated teacher assistant positions and flat or slashed funding for supplies and technology.

A) You don't hit $50k until your 16th year teaching in the system

B) this is about much more than teacher pay. It's about funding schools - capping charter schools that take resources away from public schools, funding building improvements so kids can actually learn, equipping teachers to actually teach - which includes adequate school supplies and updated textbooks. Not creating pristine campuses in certain sections of the county while ceilings are leaking and mold is growing in the schools of other parts.

Along with 7,500 eliminated teacher assistant positions and flat or slashed funding for supplies and technology.

So we are eliminating wasteful positions, and diverting funds from wasteful spending sounds smart. "Technology" spending is the biggest waste of the current educational environment. Students don't need chrome books to learn the basic subjects or nonfunctional smart boards and TV's. Those are the kind of things that look good when showing schools to prospective parents but don't have any tangible benefits. If we want to make investments in technology then setup elementary, middle, and high schools with legit computer science programs and fund it that way. Otherwise give them a book, notepad, and a chalkboard.

A) You don't hit $50k until your 16th year teaching in the system

B) this is about much more than teacher pay. It's about funding schools - capping charter schools that take resources away from public schools, funding building improvements so kids can actually learn, equipping teachers to actually teach - which includes adequate school supplies and updated textbooks. Not creating pristine campuses in certain sections of the county while ceilings are leaking and mold is growing in the schools of other parts.

Let's fund better school infrastructure and keep teacher pay where it is. I am good with that.

Back