• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

We aren't paying him over $2M a year. $1.75M is in the number in the latest 990.

The number I heard was 2.1 based on the extension. Could be off, but it seems a reliable source. Numbers I've seen had him at 1.3 last year and 1.75 this year.

Ok, so Umass would probably take $500-750k to make it go away. Another $225 to Winthrop. Kelsey still comes out on top by taking the Wake job. If for some reason we found ourselves needing a coach, I doubt money would be the think to keep it from happening with Kelsey.

The number I heard was 2.1 based on the extension. Could be off, but it seems a reliable source. Numbers I've seen had him at 1.3 last year and 1.75 this year.

Yep, that aligns perfectly with the 990. I am guessing that Wellman got him to take a low number in the first year of the contract since we were paying buyouts for both Grobe and [Redacted].

$2.1M in an extension would just be nonsense. I mean I believe it, but definitely not earned. Hopefully most of it isn't guaranteed.

If we had to pay off $1M on what would likely be a 5 year contract, we're only talking an extra $200K/year. In the market and revenues that exist, this isn't disqualifying or even that much in the scheme of things.

Think of it this way. If an average ticket costs $30 and the new coach only adds 1000 extra sales/home game, we're looking at making over $500,000/year.

Of course, that's using "common sense" and being calmly rational.

If we had to pay off $1M on what would likely be a 5 year contract, we're only talking an extra $200K/year. In the market and revenues that exist, this isn't disqualifying or even that much in the scheme of things.

Think of it this way. If an average ticket costs $30 and the new coach only adds 1000 extra sales/home game, we're looking at making over $500,000/year.

Not to mention your annual Deacon Club contribution of $0.00.

2n6f11y.png
[/IMG]

The "Eastern Conference playoffs LeBron" meme needs to happen for Manning and 20-loss seasons (or conference road losses).

Even-LeBron-Is-Laughing-at-the-LeBron-Mustache-Memes.jpg

I am not exactly sure who you are arguing with here that requires the hostile tone. It isn't me because I don't really disagree with you. $1M is not a very big buyout and should not be insurmountable. Certainly the profitability math is simple enough. There is an issue of budgets and pure cash, but I am sure UMass would be ok with installments or someone else could finance it.

It is a big buyout for a low-major coach, but most mid-major coaches will have similar buyouts. Danny Hurley is at $1.5M and Eric Musselman is at $1.0M.

We should have hired Mr and Mrs Enfield when we had the chance.

I heard we would owe Manning a boatload of money if we fire him based on his won/loss record and not for some other egregious act.

I heard we would owe Manning a boatload of money if we fire him based on his won/loss record and not for some other egregious act.

I don't think Wake would be ready to be paying three buyouts if Danny was to be fired and Pat Kelsey hired.

Danny won't leave on his own accord after this season.

My best guess is that he thinks he finally will have a team that resembles what he wants his teams to look like for 2018-2019. And he wants to stay and coach them, and finally have a legit shot at the NCAA tournament.

Back