• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

If WF muddled to a 7-11 or 8-10 ACC record and received an NIT invite; don't think that WF would terminate DM's contract as progress would be claimed. For DM to face legit job jeopardy after next season, WF's 2017-8 season would look a lot like this past one (which might happen, but guessing that WF won't suffer 3 craptastic OOC losses next year, and WF will not blow quite as many ACC games that it led late, and WF will slide into the NIT guaranteeing that DM stays).

Does anyone know which thread tracks any OOC opponents for 2018 we already know about, and the slate of ACC teams we have in the rotation for 2019? IOW, how many of our opponents do we know at this point due to home and home agreements, series in process and the rotation of the ACC for 2019?

Hard to say what Ronnie's take will be on it, but if the schedule is only moderately more challenging than this year, I would think 10-2/9-3 & 6-12/7-11 (16-14) is the bare minimum for keeping his job.

If everyone is back and Hoard/Mucius are as good as advertised, we have no excuse not to make the NCAAT.

So many ifs and hedges...

Close to Top 25 preseason, easily.

Reactions: Ayo
Does anyone know which thread tracks any OOC opponents for 2018 we already know about, and the slate of ACC teams we have in the rotation for 2019? IOW, how many of our opponents do we know at this point due to home and home agreements, series in process and the rotation of the ACC for 2019?

Hard to say what Ronnie's take will be on it, but if the schedule is only moderately more challenging than this year, I would think 10-2/9-3 & 6-12/7-11 (16-14) is the bare minimum for keeping his job.

If he goes 16-14 and keeps his job there is no point in rooting for Wake Forest in basketball. If such mediocre results are acceptable then we can just become the next Rutgers or Oregon State and not bother having a fan base in that sport.

I don't think anyone is arguing the point that Manning needs to win next year. Sometimes a coach who needs to win actually does, see brad brownell. Other times, a coach who needs to win doesn't and then the fun of a coaching search starts. Danny Manning is officially at the needs to win stage of his career and even a Blind athletic director can see that.

If he goes 16-14 and keeps his job there is no point in rooting for Wake Forest in basketball. If such mediocre results are acceptable then we can just become the next Rutgers or Oregon State and not bother having a fan base in that sport.

Ya, I most certainly agree. Forgot to add my caveat that I need at least 19 or 20 wins and a bubble snub, with myriad examples of clear coaching improvement, for me to at least consider thinking keeping the course is acceptable. But I was trying to enter the mind -- as awful as that sounds -- of Ron Wellman to come up with what he probably sees as the minimum acceptable performance. Cuz if we have a really hard sked, lose a bunch of close games, pull off a couple of see-I-told-you-we're-on-the-right-track wins (see [Redacted] circa 2014), and Hoard only demonstrates that he's good enough to get drafted as a sophomore, then Manning will probably get another year.

That's why the #ManningOut #Smokin'KillsPrograms crowd is so boisterous and adamant, aside from erecting another billboard.

I don't believe the ACC has released the opponents for next season yet. Is next year the final year with 18 games or is it the year we bump to 20? I have not seen Wake associated w/ any preseason tournament. The Xavier game doesn't return until 19-20 season. I would think that Wake will have a road game at Tennessee this upcoming season.

Hopefully our preseason tournament will be someplace closer to home next season then Lynchburg. Maybe Martinsville.

I don't think anyone is arguing the point that Manning needs to win next year. Sometimes a coach who needs to win actually does, see brad brownell. Other times, a coach who needs to win doesn't and then the fun of a coaching search starts. Danny Manning is officially at the needs to win stage of his career and even a Blind athletic director can see that.

Have you met Ron Wellman?

No. WF is not making the NCAAs next year, but the bar you set is too high. WF does not want to fire Manning. If WF can slime out an NIT bid, Manning stays. Basketball expectations are low among those that make the hiring and firing decisions.

This is the sad truth. I see at least 3 more Manning seasons. We’ll have a bounce back and be ok next year, but no significant accomplishment. .500 ACC, 8 seed as the ceiling if everything goes right. Even if we miss tourney, 7-8 ACC wins shows progress. That buys an extra 2 years.

Only thing that will move the needle with blue hairs is off-court problems or academic suspensions.

Withholding money got [Redacted] fired. If only those donations had remained on hold until Ronnie retired we might have some optimism for the short term.

Manning will have a mediocre team next year and be kept. He'll have enough talent to field a solid ncaa team and under achieve. Unlike dino manning won't be fired for "lack of post season success."

Let it sink in that UNCC has a better coach then we do.

This is the sad truth. I see at least 3 more Manning seasons. We’ll have a bounce back and be ok next year, but no significant accomplishment. .500 ACC, 8 seed as the ceiling if everything goes right. Even if we miss tourney, 7-8 ACC wins shows progress. That buys an extra 2 years.

Only thing that will move the needle with blue hairs is off-court problems or academic suspensions.

Are you suggesting he shouldn’t get another year if he does the bold and brings in a solid 2019 class? Or that it would be bad for Wake Basketball if he got another year after that type of season?

I don’t get this line of argument from the Manning Out crowd that basically goes “we know he sucks and will never get us to the top of the ACC so better to cut bait now than allow him to stick around 3 more years based on simply reaching mediocrity.”

If you’re a Manning outer that concedes we might be decent next year, it seems like the most likely best case scenario is Manning chugging out three .500 ACC seasons, landing 3 more ACC level recruiting classes, Wellman claiming victory and retiring, and then letting our new AD look for an upgrade to take us to the next level.

That seems way more plausible that Wellman hiring a coach that will lead us to the top of the ACC.

Are you suggesting he shouldn’t get another year if he does the bold and brings in a solid 2019 class? Or that it would be bad for Wake Basketball if he got another year after that type of season?

I don’t get this line of argument from the Manning Out crowd that basically goes “we know he sucks and will never get us to the top of the ACC so better to cut bait now than allow him to stick around 3 more years based on simply reaching mediocrity.”

If you’re a Manning outer that concedes we might be decent next year, it seems like the most likely best case scenario is Manning chugging out three .500 ACC seasons, landing 3 more ACC level recruiting classes, Wellman claiming victory and retiring, and then letting our new AD look for an upgrade to take us to the next level.

That seems way more plausible that Wellman hiring a coach that will lead us to the top of the ACC.

So your optimistic plan has us definitely mired in mediocrity for 3 years and assuming that we will have a new AD in four years.

The rest of us realize Wellman may be around much longer and it's not that hard to find a decent coach.

So your optimistic plan has us definitely mired in mediocrity for 3 years and assuming that we will have a new AD in four years.

The rest of us realize Wellman may be around much longer and it's not that hard to find a decent coach.

My optimistic scenario has a higher ceiling than that. And if Manning coached us to 3 straight 8 seeds and .500 ACC finishes he would, by definition, be a decent coach.

If Hoard and Mucius are as good as advertised, it is illogical not to expect a big jump next year. Filling our two massive holes (Wilbekin and Thompson) with a 5*, 6'8 player and either Sarr or Mucius creates a big jump. I understand some are so invested in hating Manning that they can't see such obvious facts, but that's on them.

Back