• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

If we are talking best case scenarios:

What do people expect if Crawford returns to 2016 form, Moore and Chill improve slightly, Chaundee (especially) and Sarr both take leaps, and Hoard and Mucius play to the upper end of their potential as freshman? Many of you seem to think that team wouldn’t even make the tournament.

What do people expect if Crawford returns to 2016 form, Moore and Chill improve slightly, Chaundee (especially) and Sarr both take leaps, and Hoard and Mucius play to the upper end of their potential as freshman? Many of you seem to think that team wouldn’t even make the tournament.

17-15 or so.

i'm actually surprised we finished inside the kenpom top 100

Why? We looked like a low end NIT team that shit the bed in the last 5 minutes of a bunch of games. That’s normally good for top 100 in any rating system that accounts for strength of schedule and margin of victory.

More straw men.

Many of us don't think every single player on the team will improve, and Hoard and Mucius will play above their recruiting rank. See: 2017-18 Wake Forest basketball.

Withholding money got [Redacted] fired. If only those donations had remained on hold until Ronnie retired we might have some optimism for the short term.

Manning will have a mediocre team next year and be kept. He'll have enough talent to field a solid ncaa team and under achieve. Unlike dino manning won't be fired for "lack of post season success."

When can we fire Wellman for lack of postseason.

HUGE ifs. I mean, all of that won’t happen. And we don’t have a schedule yet.

But I’d say that team wins 20+ games, finishes high enough to skip Tuesday in the ACC tourney, and makes the NCAAs as an 8 or better.

I expect us to be a bubble team next year. Hope we’re better than that, but that’s my expectation.

It's almost like fans are happy when we win and unhappy when we lose.

Contrarily I think there are a lot of posters on this board that will be frustrated when we have a good season next year. They are so deep in the trench that barring the immediate firing of Manning they will not be content.

Are you suggesting he shouldn’t get another year if he does the bold and brings in a solid 2019 class? Or that it would be bad for Wake Basketball if he got another year after that type of season?

I don’t get this line of argument from the Manning Out crowd that basically goes “we know he sucks and will never get us to the top of the ACC so better to cut bait now than allow him to stick around 3 more years based on simply reaching mediocrity.”

If you’re a Manning outer that concedes we might be decent next year, it seems like the most likely best case scenario is Manning chugging out three .500 ACC seasons, landing 3 more ACC level recruiting classes, Wellman claiming victory and retiring, and then letting our new AD look for an upgrade to take us to the next level.

That seems way more plausible that Wellman hiring a coach that will lead us to the top of the ACC.

No, that is my point. DM would definitely be back, and should, were we to go .500/mid-seed in the tournament next season. My preface is that would be the absolute best-case scenario if everything went well next season.

It's more likely that we are double-digit / bubble team, or miss the tourney all together. Then what? DM would still be back and there would be almost no reason to think he can be a top-level ACC coach. I'm lamenting the fact that we are tied to DM for 3 more years unless we absolutely suck next year. Unless you believe he can develop into a top-level ACC coach, why be excited about that?

Your best-case scenario of 3 .500 consecutive seasons seems extremely unlikely given what we have seen so far. But would I sign up for that right now as a bridge to the next coach that is not a Wellman hire? Hell yes.

HUGE ifs. I mean, all of that won’t happen. And we don’t have a schedule yet.

But I’d say that team wins 20+ games, finishes high enough to skip Tuesday in the ACC tourney, and makes the NCAAs as an 8 or better.

I expect us to be a bubble team next year. Hope we’re better than that, but that’s my expectation.

Your expectation is to be a bubble team in year five with what we have coming back and what we have coming in? Jesus, DM has a pretty sweet gig.

My expectations for Manning to be retained past next season:

1) improvement on record and an NCAA tournament invitation

2) Some sort of Team Identity: offensive, defensive, preferably both. I don't even care what it is - pressing defense, pack-line, zone, focus on rebounds, run and gun, bang inside, moon people when they shoot. I don't care what the identity is, I just need some indication that our coaching staff a) has a plan and b) can get the team to buy in to said plan.

The first can happen with an influx of talent and we might achieve this goal. I have seen nothing in 4 years that makes me think the second one will happen.

Seriously? That would be a much deeper team than we had in 2016 and the upper end of Hoard’s freshman year potential is probably 85% of what Collins gave us that year. Hard to see how we would be worse than that team if everything I described happened.

Lol.

Your expectation is to be a bubble team in year five with what we have coming back and what we have coming in? Jesus, DM has a pretty sweet gig.

I’m assuming your expectations are even lower, so I’m not sure what your point is.

I’m not saying that is my barometer for success... I’m just trying to be realistic coming off of an 11-20 season.

If we don’t make the NCAAs next year (at a minimum), Manning should be gone.

Last edited:
regarding Crawford "returning to form", I'm not sure his 2016-17 form can solely attributed to him

I think he had a pretty solid year because we had an elite efficient scorer on the interior who could establish position, catch anything in his vicinity, and convert; teams had to stop that and so everyone around him was better, including #13

Moore showed tremendous improvement last year, and we underused him, but he was nowhere near the efficient machine that John Collins was

so, I don't see a return to 2016-17 form for #13 - hope I'm wrong

Back