• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

I don’t know if you’ve answered this before: how many ACC coaches would you trade Danny Manning for right now if you could? Asked another way, where do think Manning ranks amongst ACC coaches?

I don’t know if you’ve answered this before: how many ACC coaches would you trade Danny Manning for right now if you could? Asked another way, where do think Manning ranks amongst ACC coaches?

I'd only trade him for Boeheim. John Collins > Jahlil Okafor. Nuff said.

You can "Holy shit dude" me all you want, but your original inequality was not just a quick, short-hand version of a future expected value equation, it was wrong and I am a stickler for good mathematics, especially in the realm of probability. Context clues are fantastic, but you tried to used past value to represent probable future value, and that is incorrect, and thus confusing. All the context clues wouldn't clear that up, unless you literally said, for context, something like "in this case, I'm thinking about probable future value, but using past estimated value to represent that, it's a sort of backwards math thing I like to do. Capisce?"

The other problem with all of this is that you are stating your probabilities as if they are known, certain quantities, but there not. You can estimate them from data, but we don't know what they are specifically, and you are acting like anyone who draws a different conclusion, because they are estimating the probabilities differently than you, is a moron.

If you assume past performance is a good predictor of future performance, and that the overall quality and composition of the pool of coaches available to Wake is relatively static year to year (if anything it’s gotten worse since 2010) then my equation actually wasn’t a bad approximation.

And I’m not stating my probabilities as if they are known. And I don’t think people are idiots for not agreeing with me. Most of the posters on this board are intelligent and many are more intelligent than me. But when it comes to assessing Manning the board has been lazy in their assessments or in communicating their thought process.

Definitely:

K
Williams
Bennett
Brey
Buzz
Larranaga

Probably:

Hamilton

Maybe:

Brownell
Keats

So you wouldn’t trade for Buzz Williams, Jim Christian, Josh Pastner, JIM BOEHEIM???, or whoever Louisville’s coach is going to be (Chris Mack?)?

Interesting. So you put him in the 8th to 10th range of ACC coaches.

So you wouldn’t trade for Buzz Williams, Jim Christian, Josh Pastner, JIM BOEHEIM???, or whoever Louisville’s coach is going to be (Chris Mack?)?

Interesting. So you put him in the 8th to 10th range of ACC coaches.

Not the question asked.

I included Buzz, didn’t include Mack because he’s not Louisville’s coach, and didn’t include Boeheim because he’s 74, insufferable, and his strategy at this point is basically try and coast to the tournament and see how far my zone can take me.

I’d rent K and Williams for a few years since they would instantly bring recruits to Wake and give us a decent shot at a championship. Is Boeheim doing that?

Not the question asked.

I included Buzz, didn’t include Mack because he’s not Louisville’s coach, and didn’t include Boeheim because he’s 74, insufferable, and his strategy at this point is basically try and coast to the tournament and see how far my zone can take me.

I’d rent K and Williams for a few years since they would instantly bring recruits to Wake and give us a decent shot at a championship. Is Boeheim doing that?

I can't stand Boeheim either, but my kingdom for a gd system that WORKS!!! I bet a 74 y/o Boeheim could still easily out-recruit Danny Manning in the southeast.

I can't stand Boeheim either, but my kingdom for a gd system that WORKS!!! I bet a 74 y/o Boeheim could still easily out-recruit Danny Manning in the southeast.

Probably, but not by much. And that system takes time to implement. The potential for postseason success is appealing, but probably not replicable right away. His teams aren’t fun to watch, his heart wouldn’t be in it, and I believe we already have a coach who can reel off 4 straight bubble teams the next 4 years.

Boeheim’s obviously a better coach than Manning, but that wasn’t the question.

We will have 5 top 100 players on the roster for the first time since 2010 and y’all are bitching at Manning for not building a foundation because the end of his bench keeps rotating.

Of his recruits that were ever in the top 8 in minutes played, Manning has lost three prior to graduation; two went pro and one was kicked off the team for being a knucklehead.

LK apparently has “inside info” that one of those 5 won’t be here next year.

Probably, but not by much. And that system takes time to implement. The potential for postseason success is appealing, but probably not replicable right away. His teams aren’t fun to watch, his heart wouldn’t be in it, and I believe we already have a coach who can reel off 4 straight bubble teams the next 4 years.

He could no doubt implement his system in the fall and have the Deacs playing better defense than any of the 4 teams Danny has coached...and while Danny was fucking up his 2016 class, all Jimmy B. did was recruit 3 4* kids for the 18th ranked class that year. Now, after a year in the system, they are into the Sweet 16 despite losing two seniors (including White in the NBA) and Thompson, one of his 4* who ended up transferring to Seton Hall. And another 4*, Moyer, doesn't even play that much, just spot minutes. Doing it with basically 5 guys. He's got a kid from Slovakia playing key minutes for goodness' sake! Not bad for a team that is 14th & 12th in conference FG% & 3PT%, 15th in assists and 9th in rebounding.

Does Mike Hopkins run the same system at UW? I haven't watched them but I would assume so.

He took them from 163rd and 9 wins to 96th and 21 wins in his first season despite losing the first draft pick. (note - obviously not an expert on the Washington program and obviously Manning is a better coach than Romar).

Regardless, I am with you. I would not want Boeheim. I also would not take Hamilton (just because he's old, I think best case of Manning is he's as good of an all-around coach as Hamilton) or Christian (because he's only ever had success at low-majors, and I think it's well-established what I think about that) over Manning. I would have to dig in far more than I want to make a determination on Pastner. Brownell is probably a wash, but I would definitely take Keats over Manning (primarily due to what he did at UNCW).

RChill, have you added into your equation that RJ agrees with you word for word. That increases your chance of being wrong by about 90%.

To answer the thread title, LaVall Jordan. Book it.

RChill, have you added into your equation that RJ agrees with you word for word. That increases your chance of being wrong by about 90%.

The company I keep in “Manning’s actually not that bad; it’s stupid to call for his head right now” ville causes 10 times more doubt than any of the “arguments” put forth by the ManningOutNow crowd. So yeah I’ve factored it in.

Does Mike Hopkins run the same system at UW? I haven't watched them but I would assume so.

He took them from 163rd and 9 wins to 96th and 21 wins in his first season despite losing the first draft pick. (note - obviously not an expert on the Washington program and obviously Manning is a better coach than Romar).

Regardless, I am with you. I would not want Boeheim. I also would not take Hamilton (just because he's old, I think best case of Manning is he's as good of an all-around coach as Hamilton) or Christian (because he's only ever had success at low-majors, and I think it's well-established what I think about that) over Manning. I would have to dig in far more than I want to make a determination on Pastner. Brownell is probably a wash, but I would definitely take Keats over Manning (primarily due to what he did at UNCW).

Pretty much agree with that. I put Keats as a maybe because his first season at State was in line with the talent he inherited and I wasn’t familiar enough with his time at UNCW.

Keats will be on the hot seat next year. Just wait. Always happens at NC State.

Every one/15th

Pretty easy questions.

Back