• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

The company I keep in “Manning’s actually not that bad; it’s stupid to call for his head right now” ville causes 10 times more doubt than any of the “arguments” put forth by the ManningOutNow crowd. So yeah I’ve factored it in.

I’ve got your back Chill. Manning isn’t a savior but he has improved our program significantly. Next year will show if he deserves a chance to keep moving us forward. It is likely that at some point he runs out of coal and can no longer move the train forward, but he has taken us from the bottom and replenished our talent level. I am equally disappointed by the results this year but also really looking forward to next year and the incoming recruiting class. I think wright and Mucius will be good contributors to our program and I think Hoard is going to be a Star. We keep Crawford, Moore and add in Brown, Chill, Sarr and a little production from Okeke and I like our chances to take a big leap forward in wins.

I'd like to trade Manning for Pittsburgh's empty chair. Would probably be an improvement and display the same level of emotion.

I’ve got your back Chill. Manning isn’t a savior but he has improved our program significantly. Next year will show if he deserves a chance to keep moving us forward. It is likely that at some point he runs out of coal and can no longer move the train forward, but he has taken us from the bottom and replenished our talent level. I am equally disappointed by the results this year but also really looking forward to next year and the incoming recruiting class. I think wright and Mucius will be good contributors to our program and I think Hoard is going to be a Star. We keep Crawford, Moore and add in Brown, Chill, Sarr and a little production from Okeke and I like our chances to take a big leap forward in wins.

+1000

There is NO defense on this team you talk about. No coaching. 8-10 total wins.

A big leap forward in wins still doesnt even equal an NIT bid. He is terrible

Someone please explain to me how Manning has "taken us from the bottom"? Is it because we're not dead last in 15th, behind Pitt?

Can someone please give me examples of how Manning has improved talent?

Why is this stated as fact?

If you refuse to see the improvement in JC, Doral, Dinos, Donovan Mitchell, it's because either don't want to or don't know basketball at all.

Your use of the word "significantly" is incorrect. I think he has recruited better, as somebody without Asperger's should be able to do compared to somebody with Asperger's. His in-game coaching, however, does not appear to be an improvement over his predecessor and may actually be worse. And like his predecessor, he has created a fanbase that has completely tuned out.

Someone please explain to me how Manning has "taken us from the bottom"? Is it because we're not dead last in 15th, behind Pitt?
We weren't the worst program in the conference when Manning took over. VT and BC were worse.

And then they hired better coaches than we did.

Can someone please give me examples of how Manning has improved talent?

Why is this stated as fact?

Probably because it is fact. Upon [name redacted]'s firing, Moto and Cav transferred (I think Moto was going to transfer anyway, and Cav transferred partly because Moto wasn't there, and partly because he wanted to play in the NCAA tournament...either way, Manning's hiring didn't effect those two situations, and thus we have to assume he was gone regardless of [name redacted] or Manning)

June of 2014, here is what Danny had to work with:

Senior - Daniel Green

Junior - Codi Miller-McIntyre
Junior - Devin Thomas
Junior - Madison Jones
Junior - Aaron Rountree
Junior - Andre Washington

Sophomore - Miles Overton

Freshman - Greg McLinton (signed with [name redacted])
Freshman - Rondale Watson (signed with [name redacted](
Freshman - Shelton Mitchell (signed with [name redacted], and we must assume would have ended up at Wake if [name redacted] returned)

Upon Manning's hiring, Shelton decommitted and Danny brought in Dinos, Hudson, Wilbekin, and Leonard, but none of those 4 were present when the decision to move on from [name redacted] was made.

So now let's evaluate our current squad for next year as it stands:

Senior - Bryant Crawford
Senior - Doral Moore

Junior - Brandon Childress

Sophomore - Chaundee Brown
Sophomore - Olivier Sarr
Sophomore - Sunday Okeke (walk on, but actually has a chance to be a productive defensive big off the bench IMO)
Sophomore - Melo Eggleston

Freshman - Jaylen Hoard
Freshman - Isaiah Mucius
Freshman - Sharone Wright Jr.
Freshman - Jamie Lewis
Freshman - Christian Lorng

We have two open scholarships for this year, and I think Manning will fill at least one of them with a postgrad, preferably a scoring guard.

But either way you look at it we have a massive improvement in talent over the past 4 years. My biggest disappointment with this year's record is the impact it may have on 2019. But we still aren't sure what 2019 is going to look like. Most of the board expects a poor class, but signing period is 7.5 months away, and if there is one thing that Manning and the staff have proven, it is that they are willing to work hard on the recruiting trail.

Furthermore, lets compare 247 composite rankings:

CMM (77) vs. Crawford (99): Ranking says CMM, any basketball fan with brain knows that Crawford is a whole lot better, but we will give CMM the nod
Thomas (268) vs. Moore (87): Moore a much higher regarded prospect. Thomas much more productive career, but I will take junior and senior Moore every day of the week against Junior and senior Thomas.
Mitchell (93) vs. Childress (192): Big advantage ranking with Mitchell, and probably would have been a player. Not sure that in the end there will be a massive difference in value between these two players. Still advantage Mitchell if he would have come (I think he would have).
Rountree (190) vs. Brown (36): Ouch on every level
McLinton (114) vs. Hoard (28): Mclinton probably should have been in the 200's or 300's based on his injury history, but early success inflated his ranking. Ouch again.

Bench:
Jones (277) vs. Wright Jr. (270) - Even ranking, Expect good things from Wright Jr. Jones was awful for pretty much his whole career.
Washington (NR, gave him a 500 rating, which is still probably too high) vs. Sarr (222) - This one isn't even close. Sarr would have been top 100 at worst if he was in the states. By the time he leaves, Sarr will not only a starter, but a key contributor to our team.
Green (422) vs. Lorng (338) - Lorng rated higher, but it is a reach. Have no idea what we will get from him. Worth a gamble when the spot opened. Can't have enough big guys. Some of them turn into gems.
Overton (229) vs. Eggleston (275) - Overton gets the nod. Not sure about Eggleston's ability to produce at this point. Neither are/were key pieces
Watson (393) vs. Lewis (215) - Lewis with the nod (has dropped precipitously due to inaction), but Lewis might not ever show up - which isn't all that different from Watson.

Did not include Okeke, although I would be willing to wager that we are glad we have him on our roster before it is all said and done. He moves really well, and has a great reach and defensive set of fundamentals. He is going to a great big off the bench as a junior and senior....

Starters:
2014 (148.4) vs. 2018 (88.4)

Bench:
2014 (364.2) vs. 2018 (264) - if you give Sarr a reasonable legit ranking (where he should have been if he had been truly evaluated - 85, then the average rating of the bench jumps from 264 to 236.6)

By any reasonable measure, Manning has massively increased our talent level at all levels. Hopefully this post will put to rest the #fakenews narrative that he hasn't.

That is all the time I can waste today, but I just get tired of the Debbie Downer, unrealistic, false narrative that seems to dominate the boards. Half of the posts on the NCAA Tournament thread have a tagline 'and we are stuck with Manning'. If that is truly how you feel about where we are, I don't understand why you submit yourself to the misery. If it is truly THAT bad, just give up until Manning is gone. The reality is that it is not that bad. The reality is that we are going to be a pretty good team next year even though we had an awful year this year. Go Deacs.

Wrangor, Manning barely improved on [Redacted] despite having better talent.

Just realized that Robinson and Bowman were both 300+ ranked recruits out of NC... Christian hadn't had a single top 150 recruit until Jairus Hamilton (2018, and also from NC).

Hamilton is a SF... Ranked about where Mucius is, so tough to call him a miss (in terms of letting him get out of NC).

Back