• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

Is Matta healthy? Health issues derailed his O$U tenure.

Watching Grant and CofC over the Deacs tonight was a good decision

A guy from our staff just got hired last year. And we replaced him with Jones.

So tell me more about Grant. Looks promising on Wikipedia.

Barring something really unlikely, best case for Wake next season is for Woodberry to get a HC offer and leave, opening a spot.
Some retired good bench coach and defensive teachIer agrees to take the assistant job because he is bored and wants a challenge.

I don't see Randolph leaving until Brandon graduates. He eventually needs to leave and apprentice under a top 10 coach somewhere, then become a head coach at a mid major.
Why do we have to hope one of the assistants gets a head coaching offer? Just fire some asses.

Really impressed by Grant's team's execution down the stretch. Oh and they made 21 of 22 FTs.

So basically the anti us

Scott Nagy is a winner. He had several good seasons (3 NCAA appearances) at S Dakota St. Then took the Wright St job & has them dancing in year 2.

Yeah, Pat needs to get some DI experience first. Would bring things full circle

Grant would be my choice, very good coach and a great guy (from what people I respect have told me)

My criteria for thinking about this, in rough order of importance:
1) Multiple years of success as a head coach at the D1 level – either turned around a program (positive trajectory of improvement year to year) or taken over a successful program and maintained that success (or better) with a different player group
2) At least one year of success as a head coach at a mid-major or better
3) Experience recruiting at high major level as an assistant
4) Regional recruiting ties
5) Part of a large coaching tree – speaks to ability to build a staff
6) Under the age of 50

Now, obviously this is a bit of a wish list. Most candidates that pass each of these bars with flying colors are likely beyond Wake’s reach, and there are some great candidates who would fail on one or multiple of these criteria (for example, Brad Stevens and Gregg Marshall), but I think if a coach ticks most of these boxes then he is probably a pretty damn good candidate. For what it’s worth, I would say [Redacted] only ticked #2 and Manning only ticked #2 and #5.

Here’s how I would rank the coaches I have seen on this thread, plus a few of my additions (Musselman, Hurley, and Fife):
Tom Crean (#1,2,3,5)
Eric Musselman (#1,2,3)
Dan Hurley (#1,2,6)
Pat Kelsey (#1,3,4,5,6)
Earl Grant (#1,2,3,4,6)
Dane Fife (#1,3,5,6)
Nick McDevitt (#1,4,6)
Wes Miller (#1,4,6)
Nate Oats (#1,6)
Scott Nagy (#1)
Micah Shrewsberry (#3,5,6)
Levelle Motion (#1,4,6)
Mike Young (#1, 4)

I know I am down on Grant vs others, but I am just really uneasy about how he lines up against #1. I have seen a couple of his games, and, in both, it looked like CoC was getting by on sheer talent. Then I look at the KP trajectory, and, despite the better record, the team actually took a significant step-back this year (from 89th to 118th) as a result of the defense falling off the cliff.

I am also down on Miller vs the overall group. He has no experience recruiting at the ACC level, and I am not confident that he could build a staff that does. I was actually surprised Kelsey ended-up as high on my list as he did.

I didn’t include Matta because I just don’t buy that he is healthy enough. I didn’t include Patrick Beilein because we should absolutely not hire a D2 guy.

Geno Auriemma left Connecticut a few minutes ago on NazT's Gulfstream G550 and will meet the Deacon faithful and press at 1500 hours at Wellman's side. Winning again, suckers!

Is there anyone that disagrees with the notion that whenever Manning is fired, the entire staff needs to go, including Childress?

When you bring in a new coach, he should almost always be allowed to bring in his own staff.

The only exceptions would be in situations where there are tragedies. If the previous coach is fired, nope.

Last edited:
Is there anyone that disagrees with the notion that whenever Manning is fired, the entire staff needs to go, including Childress?

There's probably a pretty good argument to be made that firing Childress makes more sense than firing Manning...

Forcing Rusty and Chill onto the staff to act as human shields ranks right below the hiring of [Redacted] in the list of unforgivable things Wellman has done.

Yes, Chill has to go.

Back