• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

As the representative of God on the basketball court, we have to embrace the sinner and give him a second chance.
news_deacon.png

A third chance? I hate to say it but he would bring an energy and passion to the team that had been sorely lacking the last 8 years. Plus, parties on campus would be a lot more fun! Pitino would bring grade "A" talent on and off the court! Do we have a lot to lose??

We could hire Pitino and build a strip club on campus rather than DR's on campus arena.

Last edited:
Take a look at Nathan Davis currently HC at Bucknell. Finished first the last two years.

Nate Oats at Buffalo may be another name. Ron loves the MAC!

A few negatives tho -- just signed a contract extension, a Hurley disciple and Bobby hasn't exactly lit it up so far.

Also if this season is anything to go by it looks like it would be a continuation of good offense-bad defense that we've seen from DM, though they were much more balanced before this year. Always have played at a high pace, would be fun to watch

Some coaches, especially today, will develop offense first then defense to better fit the AAU player style.

We need to think about the next hire in terms of stages and what the situation is, i.e. rebuilding from (close to) the bottom. [Redacted] left us at rock bottom and DM got us to a NCAA tourney appearance rate of once every 6-7 years (my estimate) or so. For the next hire, the goal should be an appearance rate of maybe 50-75%.

Sure, the goal is to eventually compete for sweet sixteens, final fours, etc., but that is so far distant from where we are now, that it should not really enter into the thinking for the next hire. Yeah, you can cite examples of quick fixes where a couple of recruiting classes completely turn around a program overnight, but I don't think that is realistic for this program. We should be thinking long term. If one hire can take us all the way from where we are now to a final four, great. But, we should be comfortable thinking about it in stages of two or three hires. Taking our expectations down a notch or two in the short term (without losing sight of our greater long term aspirations) might be the best approach we can take for the next hire.

We want the equivalent of Clawson for basketball, someone who has proven more than once to turnaround a program from the bottom. Think a clean Bruce Pearl or Greg McDermott or Leonard Hamilton (not actually suggesting these for us just pointing out their Clawson-ness). I don’t have any suggestions since I really don’t follow college basketball that closely these days.

Nate Oats at Buffalo may be another name. Ron loves the MAC!

A few negatives tho -- just signed a contract extension, a Hurley disciple and Bobby hasn't exactly lit it up so far.

Also if this season is anything to go by it looks like it would be a continuation of good offense-bad defense that we've seen from DM, though they were much more balanced before this year. Always have played at a high pace, would be fun to watch

He also worked under Don DeVoe at Navy. A place where you have to do more with less in basketball.

Ryan Odom and UMBC win the America East against Vermont on Vermont’s home floor. Pretty amazing rebuild by Odom in his two years apparently.

UMBC Lost 20+ games in seven years prior to Odom. Have won 20+ games in Odom’s two years.

He’s doing it way too fast...everyone knows that it takes 6 years to build a dumpster fire the correct way.

I’m sure his fan base isn’t happy

UMBC roster is from all over. Some local Maryland guys, but also Whitefish Bay, WI; Wichita Falls,TX; Miami,FL; West Orange,NJ; and Eltham,England.

As the representative of God on the basketball court, we have to embrace the sinner and give him a second chance.
news_deacon.png

Too funny! I would love to see Pitno interact with our " board of traitors" Maybe he could pay us to rehabilitate his reputation. Banging the equipment managers wife in a restaurant. That's what we need, more excitement. GEEZ

My pick 9 years ago was Brownell. He wanted to come to Wake. Wellman never returned his calls.
Now, its Kelsey, ya'll should listen to me, I am right. I will never be okay with a Tarhole as coach of Wake Forest. Chances are Wes took fake classes at UNC as well.

Brownell would have been better than what we've had but get the feeling it would have been the ROK years every season.

Brownell would have been better than what we've had but get the feeling it would have been the ROK years every season.
Probably true, which equals good defense, NCAA trips. Who knows, maybe recruit a player or 2, and you go further.

Back