• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

I think Kelsey is stuck where he is for another year, as a result of his ill-fated venture with UMass.

I don’t know what this even means. This is 2018. No one is stuck anywhere. The old norms are gone. If you want your date to the dance, you better ask because someone else will.

I don’t know what this even means. This is 2018. No one is stuck anywhere. The old norms are gone. If you want your date to the dance, you better ask because someone else will.

It means that because of the situation with UMass, his buyout is pretty cost prohibitive for anyone this year (not just the tight-stringed Wake), but loosens a lot next year (when Wake will be probably be in the market for a coach).

I like this, because there is no way Danny is let go this year (regardless of what might be best for the program), so it's nice that Kels is pretty much on ice for a year so others can't ask them to be their date to the dance.

Barring something illegal or immoral being found, Danny is going nowhere at this point.

Is it immoral to suck as a coach and still take 2 million dollars a year to do it?

I dont see any way Manning is back after next year. We will be mediocre next year, lose our 15 class and 19 recruiting is goin downhill.

I dont see any way Manning is back after next year. We will be mediocre next year, lose our 15 class and 19 recruiting is goin downhill.

But we need to wait just to be sure. Evidence up until now has been inconclusive. If you discount years one and two because of BZ, then this is only year 2 and anyone can have a bad year.

After all, we have already wasted 8 years, why not give Manning a couple more just in case our eyes and his record deceive us?

This is what is so maddening about giving Manning another year. If we hired Kelsey right now, he could get to work on the 19 class, and have a ton to work with next year. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but we have a lot of talent next season. A good coach should be able to take Crawford, Brown, Mucius, Hoard, and Doral, along with Chill, Mitchell, Melo, etc. and have a successful year. I don't trust Manning to do anything but waste the season. We're putting ourselves in a much worse position.

This is what is so maddening about giving Manning another year. If we hired Kelsey right now, he could get to work on the 19 class, and have a ton to work with next year. I'm as frustrated as anyone, but we have a lot of talent next season. A good coach should be able to take Crawford, Brown, Mucius, Hoard, and Doral, along with Chill, Mitchell, Melo, etc. and have a successful year. I don't trust Manning to do anything but waste the season. We're putting ourselves in a much worse position.

This is absolutely right. It is too bad that the folks in charge care so little about our b-ball program that they are willing to waste yet another year. It is painfully obvious that Manning lacks the intelligence, energy and passion to coach at this level. He is out coached night after night in the ACC. This will not magically change in the next 7 months. Coaching is a significant factor in college athletics. Look no further than Raleigh and Knoxville to see what a difference coaching can make. Manning should have been let go on Tuesday. Most everyone has seen enough of Manning.

Not to mention that he may be able to keep a few of the frustrated transfers from going (if rumors are accurate).

I’ve always liked Amaker.

Also, whoever coaches Buffalo, since they look good to me. Thought Toledo also looked way better than the Deacs, unfortunately.

The more I read this thread and the more hoops I watch this week, it seems like there are a whole lot of good coaches out there.

Amaker sucks

Amaker built his reputation and record at Harvard by creatively working his way around the "no scholarships" rule of the Ivy League. Thus he soon had better talent than the rest of the league and won.

At Michigan he had six years and never made the NCAA's. They were ineligible one year.

He's also 50+, as he graduated Duke in 1987.

Last edited:
Worse than Manning? Ok, so how about the U Penn coach who just beat him?

McKillop still getting it done.

I’ll take any of these guys.

McKillop is too old for what we need but he has been a good coach for a long time.

The job should be offered to Pat Kelsey this offseason. It won’t be. And whoever replaces Manning next season will be in a worse position than they would be starting this offseason. That also means the job won’t be as desirable as it is right now. It’s an error on both fronts.

If Danny was going to be fired (for other than late found infractions or a health issue), he'd be gone already. There's no excuse for him not to have been fired otherwise.

You need to accept the fact he's our coach for next year.

The job should be offered to Pat Kelsey this offseason. It won’t be. And whoever replaces Manning next season will be in a worse position than they would be starting this offseason. That also means the job won’t be as desirable as it is right now. It’s an error on both fronts.

Agreed

If Danny was going to be fired (for other than late found infractions or a health issue), he'd be gone already. There's no excuse for him not to have been fired otherwise.

You need to accept the fact he's our coach for next year.

I have, although I’m not sure I agree that he’d be gone already. But I fully expect him to be back.

There are much better candidates to take over an ACC program than Pat Kelsey.

Back