• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

If Danny was going to be fired (for other than late found infractions or a health issue), he'd be gone already. There's no excuse for him not to have been fired otherwise.

You need to accept the fact he's our coach for next year.

We all know he's coming back which makes it more frustrating because he can't coach.

Danny Manning will be the head coach of Wake Forest's men's basketball team for the 2018-19 season, but let's not pretend that Wellman acts along traditional timelines. Dino Gaudio was fired on April 7th - two and a half weeks after we lost to Kentucky.

[Redacted] resigned during Thursday of the NCAA Tournament first round.

Buzz Williams was hired at VT the next day.

Danny Manning will be the head coach of Wake Forest's men's basketball team for the 2018-19 season, but let's not pretend that Wellman acts along traditional timelines. Dino Gaudio was fired on April 7th - two and a half weeks after we lost to Kentucky.

That's not apples to apples. Our season ended on March 20 when Dino got fired. We probably didn't get home until March 21/22.

Plus, we were waiting for a specific target for his season to end.

At the very least, all of them would be better hires than Manning and Bz were.

Buzz Williams was so pissed at Marquette's AD that reached out to VT knowing their job would be opening. He was never in play for anyone else.

I don't mind the gamble we took on Manning, it was worth the risk

BZ was just a disaster hire

Health permitting, Thad Matta is the best coach available. Deacon BB should be so lucky. 439-154 over 17 seasons at Butler, Xavier and Ohio State. Sixteen 20+ win seasons. Thirteen NCAA appearances. Two Sweet Sixteens. Two Elite Eights. One Final Four. One Final runner-up. Hire Matta, everyone returns and all recruits enroll. Wake Forest BB relevance returns and season ticket sales require the size the Joel offers. No brainer for everyone but Wellman. Health is a legit concern.

Health permitting, Thad Matta is the best coach available. Deacon BB should be so lucky. 439-154 over 17 seasons at Butler, Xavier and Ohio State. Sixteen 20+ win seasons. Thirteen NCAA appearances. Two Sweet Sixteens. Two Elite Eights. One Final Four. One Final runner-up. Hire Matta, everyone returns and all recruits enroll. Wake Forest BB relevance returns and season ticket sales require the size the Joel offers. No brainer for everyone but Wellman. Health is a legit concern.

Matta's health issues will be a bigger concern for Wake than they might be for other schools.

Interesting note in that his termination deal with Ohio State requires him to look for "equivalent employment" as part of the deal to get his full remaining ($9 million) contract dollars from Ohio State. So how much of this is real "i want and am able to do a job" and how much is "I want to look like I am looking for an equivalent job", (but I really don't want one). Like a dog chasing cars. Wants it to look like he is trying hard, but doesn't really want to catch one.

Anyone even have any insights into whether Ronnie likes Kelsey and vice versa? Would anyone be surprised if Wake might be the last place Kelsey would want to coach at...

Well he did work for Dino and we did Dino dirty

Matta's health issues will be a bigger concern for Wake than they might be for other schools.

Interesting note in that his termination deal with Ohio State requires him to look for "equivalent employment" as part of the deal to get his full remaining ($9 million) contract dollars from Ohio State. So how much of this is real "i want and am able to do a job" and how much is "I want to look like I am looking for an equivalent job", (but I really don't want one). Like a dog chasing cars. Wants it to look like he is trying hard, but doesn't really want to catch one.

That seems about right. Even if Matta is feeling better, I doubt his back would hold up to the demands of the job. Since this is a fantasy thread I thought... let's really fantasize.

Wes is about to upset Gonzaga

Don't mess this up, Ron

Wake is a great job. The ACC is gonna be loaded for the foreseeable future. As long as you go .500 in conference (or even slightly below) and beat the big guys once or twice, dabbling in a couple other wins against your mid-tier colleagues, you're going to the dance.

It's hard to envision the conference as currently constituted having a year like the Big Ten and Pac-12 just had, or the SEC has had in the past. Half the league at minimum is gonna be going dancing basically every year for the foreseeable future. If not for Davidson two thirds of the membership would've been in the tournament this year.

We can and should land a great head coach

Last edited:
What if we hire Wes Miller and we win ten nattys with him and he's like I want an on campus arena so we do it and then we're like yo wes what do you wanna name it and he says "The REAL Miller Center"

Back