• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Next Wake Forest Basketball Coach...

Anyone even have any insights into whether Ronnie likes Kelsey and vice versa? Would anyone be surprised if Wake might be the last place Kelsey would want to coach at...

Kelsey would love to coach at Wake, wanted to coach here 4 years ago as well.

And that not happening began 8 years and counting of bad basketball at Wake.

s120308_03coachlean-16_9.jpg

Kelsey would love to coach at Wake, wanted to coach here 4 years ago as well.

I would hope so. He currently coaches Winthrop. If you want to comb the mid-majors, there aren't many coaches who would not want the pay raise and chance to coach in the ACC. Crean & Matta have coached in the Final Four and they are both immediately brought up as a potential hire for Georgia. Wake could get a good coach with little issue if RW is capable of recognizing one.

I'd be fine with Kelsey. And yes, I'd be fine with Wes Miller too (especially if he comes with a 9,000 seat OCA).

Remember Kelsey playing in an intrasquad game. He was quite a player! A real menace on defense.

Kels has Prosser-like energy with students at Winthrop. Wake needs that.

The buckets heel-turn of Manning is great.

That first pic has me wondering how many games we would improve per season if Manning just chiefed cigs on the sideline like a mechanic the whole game. It's gotta be worth more than three, right?
11410410-car-mechanic-smoking-cigarette-environmental-portrait.jpg

mechanic-smoking-7457340.jpg

I don’t know why people are overthinking it. Kelsey would come here if given the opportunity, given he didn’t have a way better offer.

I don’t know why people are overthinking it. Kelsey would come here if given the opportunity, given he didn’t have a way better offer.

Just that for one more year, Kelsey is pretty locked to Winthrop as a result of his Massachusetts mess.

Just that for one more year, Kelsey is pretty locked to Winthrop as a result of his Massachusetts mess.

What am I missing here? A $225K buyout and a $227Kish salary? We're paying the stiff on the sidelines over $2 million now. Kelsey easily comes out ahead if he takes the Wake job and pays the buyout himself. Hell, he breaks with a ton more upside even if we just pay him $500K.

Last edited:
He's referring to the rumor that UMass will come after him for his buyout there if he doesn't stay at Winthrop for at least two years. That was $1M.

Since he isn't coming here this year, it doesn't matter.

He's referring to the rumor that UMass will come after him for his buyout there if he doesn't stay at Winthrop for at least two years. That was $1M.

Ok, I guess that makes more sense. Got any links to info on that?

Edit: Never mind.

What am I missing here? A $225K buyout and a $227Kish salary? We're paying the stiff on the sidelines over $2 million now. Kelsey easily comes out ahead if he takes the Wake job and pays the buyout himself.

We aren't paying him over $2M a year. $1.75M is in the number in the latest 990.

Back