• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Research Triangle Park Area?

JLDeac

Reaction score
Good evening Wake Foresters,

Well, after 20 years I'm looking to move from the Washington, DC area, and was looking in the North Carolina area for a new place to start. I have a cousin that recently moved to Columbia, South Carolina and has sold me on the cheap cost of living in the south. I plan on moving down to the Research Triangle Park Area next month and then most likely have a job lined up soon after. My question is to what area do people think is the best option here in North Carolina? I was looking at the Burlington area, and then maybe getting a job lined up in Greensboro or Durham.

I would appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Well, I'm sorry. Deacons then.

I'm also thinking about Charleston. I hear it's a really nice place to live and I've always wanted to live by the ocean. Are the job opportunities as good as some people say they are in North and South Carolina? I have spent pretty much most of my adult career as a contractor in the DC area. I'm thinking that it should be pretty easy to get a job in this area where a lot of companies are moving to.

I highly recommend you move to Greenville, NC. They have a low cost of living, a top tier university, no STDs, and it is an easy commute to RTP. Also they are very well known for their Thai and French cuisine.

Burlington, RTP, and Charleston are about as different as you could think of. What are you actually looking for?

so...you want to move to the RTP area and work in...Greensboro?

You can PM Biff specifically on Greensboro tips.

Also have you considered Lumberton?

Have you considered Sanford ? It seems to be in the middle of the hypothetical litany of options.

I mean, If I were 40-something years old, like this guy apparently is, and had the freedom to just move somewhere and look for a job with no apparent constraints from a wife or kid or the need for an immediate paycheck, Burlington, NC would definitely be at the top of my list.

I would find a job first and then relocate.
RTP and Charlotte will be more expensive than Burlington.
Columbia's not terrible.
Charleston is wicked expensive relatively and you have to deal with tourists.

Or a little further than that and live in Rockingham!

Well, I'm not 40 yet! LOL I'm only 31. I moved down to DC with my parent about 20 years ago and have been making it as a contractor the past few years.

I hear that Burlington is pretty cheap and it's close to Greensboro, Durham, and Chapel Hill. I've also thought about going back to school for a Masters Degree and that's a pretty good middle point if I choose to go to either Wake Forest, Duke, or the University of North Carolina. Isn't the Research Triangle Park supposed to be everything between Raleigh, Fayetteville, and Winston-Salem?

I think getting a job in North Carolina should be pretty easy for me after I move. I have several years administration experience as a contractor working in Washington, DC. I'd like to be able to use my education in Environmental Policy for one of these companies around there.

Charleston just sounds like a really nice place to live and there seem to be more people from Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, and New Jersey in the area. So it may not be as hard for me to fit in if I do a little more research and it has as much job prospects as the Research Triangle Park area.

I highly recommend you move to Greenville, NC. They have a low cost of living, a top tier university, no STDs, and it is an easy commute to RTP. Also they are very well known for their Thai and French cuisine.

I get that you're being sarcastic, but I still don't get it. Greenville, NC seems a little far out from Durham and Greensboro.

Back