• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Some good news: Jessie Bates

Duke is something of a risk with his off season shoulder surgery. How close to his presurgery form will he achieve? When will he be ready to play?

yes, he rates as a poor blocker and small-ish for an NFL tight end

From NFL.com:

WEAKNESSES Undersized and limited to role as H-back. Effort as a blocker is disappointing. Poor hand placement and and inability to sustain blocks is a concern. Slow into break points. Below average route speed and separation from cuts. Struggles to create workable downfield catch space through leaping and body positioning. Needed misdirection or busted coverage to open big play opportunities. Leggy in space. Lacks agility and foot quickness to create after short catches. Jammed up by redirecting linebackers.

Sounds like the scouting report of a HS friend. He went onto play eight years for the Steelers. He was too small, too slow and couldn't block. What he could do was catch the ball.

Cam may never be a big downfield deep threat. But he could be a pretty reliable 5-7 yards guy.

Chalk me up as one of the guys that was surprised that Bates left early and am even more surprised he’s getting favorable discussion re his draft status. I thought his build was a little slight and thought of the A&M stud wideout brushing him off a time or two.

But I’m certainly happy to be wrong, and sure as heck don’t know football like actual football people.

That’s a fair assessment. I think he’ll be a great fit in the right situation.

Literally anyone on an NFL roster can play tight end and catch a 5-yard pass.

If this is true, why are there few Rob Gronkowski's in the league and lots of guys who play tight end but are just undersized third tackles?

All of those guys can catch a 5 yard pass. And while Gronk is special, there are plenty of elite pass catching TEs in the league.

If this is true, why are there few Rob Gronkowski's in the league and lots of guys who play tight end but are just undersized third tackles?

Because some guys are that much better at it. If you just need a guy who can go out five yards and catch a pass, literally any athlete on an NFL team can line up at TE do it. The knocks on Cam are that he's not fast enough and not strong enough to be a good blocker or fight for position against linebackers. You could put your backup QB in and get just as good of results.

Back