• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who would you want to coach Wake Basketball in 2019?

Who would you want as coach in 2019

• Total voters
No dukies please.

I get the sentiment about Kels, but his type of energy is 100% what we need in the program. The fan base, especially the students need to be won back. That happens with winning, but it can happen before that with passion and enthusiasm. Clawson is not a bad example. He built the trust before the results. Neither bz nor manning were good at that. I miss having a home court advantage. If not Kels, give me someone who can do that. Enough talent will commit to Wake regardless of the HC. Give me energy over all else.

Agreed. I cannot wait to see passion mixed with intelligence. Where the fans and players alike look over to the sideline and think, oh, we're going to be alright, he knows exactly what he's doing.

Frankly i would be shocked if Manning is here next year. Hiring Nestor was the writing on the wall.

Agree 100%. As I stated in another thread, Nestor was put in place by Wellman, so he could show the higher ups that he made every effort to help Manning, who most everyone agrees is not a bad guy , just not a coach at this level. Barring a 6-7 ACC win season, Wellman has made his decision. Manning is gone, but Wellman will be hiring the next coach this spring.

Agree 100%. As I stated in another thread, Nestor was put in place by Wellman, so he could show the higher ups that he made every effort to help Manning, who most everyone agrees is not a bad guy , just not a coach at this level. Barring a 6-7 ACC win season, Wellman has made his decision. Manning is gone, but Wellman will be hiring the next coach this spring.

This sounds like you might have some inside information. Correct?

I’m sure my mind will change a lot over the next few months, but I like Earl Grant and Pat Kelsey over the rest of that list.

There are some others there that are likely to have great futures, but aren’t yet ready to be the head coach for an ACC program.

6-12 in the ACC should NEVER be the bar set for our coach to KEEP his job.
#lowf

Kelsey and Oats would be my top 2 choices.

Earl Grant, Nate Oats/Pat Kelsey, Jamion Christian in that order - not counting current assistants. There are good assistants on that list I’d be happy with.

Not sure I see it with Christian.

I sort of like the idea of Luke Murray. Been a Mack assistant for a while now, also worked under Danny Hurley for a bit, seems to be a good recruiter (currently serving as Mack's recruiting coordinator). No HC experience is a pretty big negative obviously, but as far as current assistants go I think he'd be a pretty great fit for a HC job. Plus, maybe we'd get to see his dad at the Joel?

Still, I'd rather have Grant, Oats, or Kelsey (in that order).

Last edited:
Jamion Christian is just cause I like him. I think it’s a little early for him to be considered for an ACC head coaching position.

No dukies please.

I get the sentiment about Kels, but his type of energy is 100% what we need in the program. The fan base, especially the students need to be won back. That happens with winning, but it can happen before that with passion and enthusiasm. Clawson is not a bad example. He built the trust before the results. Neither bz nor manning were good at that. I miss having a home court advantage. If not Kels, give me someone who can do that. Enough talent will commit to Wake regardless of the HC. Give me energy over all else.

Agreed. The Joel is an embarrassment these days and I think Kelsey could jumpstart the program back to where it needs to be. That's who I want next year.

Somebody gets to go. So if you are average among your peers, you will go every 10th season. Winning your conference consistently usually means you are a pretty good coach.

Agree with this. I have always liked Wes as a coach. Would still bring a lot of question marks but he will have had a decent amount of seasoning and lessons learned at this point in his career even as a very young coach.

The worst part about hiring Wes would be listening to DR, but that doesn’t mean he would necessarily be a bad hire. I wouldn’t have hired him to coach wake at the Age of 30 and almost no experience but at 35 with 7 head coaching seasons under his belt and the potential of 3 consecutive conference championships in a row, he is starting to show he can really win.

I still am not sure when and if Manning will be let go, but without an NCAA tournament birth in year 5 he should be. Miller would be an excellent name to have on our list should we be searching.

Also, love Kelsey in the interactions I had with him back as a wake assistant. This is going to be a risky hire. We need to aim for upside in my opinion. Kelsey is about the oldest coach we should be hiring. Not sure well man has the guts or the knowledge to make the right hire. Would be good to get a group of people involved on this one.

Last edited:
I get the sentiment about Kels, but his type of energy is 100% what we need in the program. The fan base, especially the students need to be won back. That happens with winning, but it can happen before that with passion and enthusiasm.

Agree with this. We don't need another guy that loses the press conference.

If you can't get fans excited about what you are doing, there is a good chance you will not get potential recruits excited either.

Agree with this. We don't need another guy that loses the press conference.

If you can't get fans excited about what you are doing, there is a good chance you will not get potential recruits excited either.

Fundamentally we are missing leadership of the program, and we have since the summer of 2007.

Agree with this. I have always liked Wes as a coach. Would still bring a lot of question marks but he will have had a decent amount of seasoning and lessons learned at this point in his career even as a very young coach.

The worst part about hiring Wes would be listening to DR, but that doesn’t mean he would necessarily be a bad hire. I wouldn’t have hired him to coach wake at the Age of 30 and almost no experience but at 35 with 7 head coaching seasons under his belt and the potential of 3 consecutive conference championships in a row, he is starting to show he can really win.

I still am not sure when and if Manning will be let go, but without an NCAA tournament birth in year 5 he should be. Miller would be an excellent name to have on our list should we be searching.

Also, love Kelsey in the interactions I had with him back as a wake assistant. This is going to be a risky hire. We need to aim for upside in my opinion. Kelsey is about the oldest coach we should be hiring. Not sure well man has the guts or the knowledge to make the right hire. Would be good to get a group of people involved on this one.

Given Wrangor’s recent track record, we probably should avoid Wes Miller.

I can't understand why Kelsey would be risky hire but Miller wouldn't be. Kelsey is far more qualified and more experienced while still only being 43.

I love this fun little Wake Forest tradition of searching for a new basketball coach every 4-5 years. It really brings us all together, like Hit the Bricks or Love Feast.

We’ve been scouring the ranks for a new coach since Skip died.

My vote is Kelsey. I still follow him on social media and he is just what we need - a high-energy guy who can win the PC and win back the fans (starting with the students).

My vote is Kelsey. I still follow him on social media and he is just what we need - a high-energy guy who can win the PC and win back the fans (starting with the students).

I just posted this on another thread, but I don't think Pat Kelsey to Wake would occur as long as Wellman is still the AD. There's just too much bad blood there. Which is too bad, because I think Kelsey would be a great option.

I just posted this on another thread, but I don't think Pat Kelsey to Wake would occur as long as Wellman is still the AD. There's just too much bad blood there. Which is too bad, because I think Kelsey would be a great option.

Another reason to fire RW :)

Back