• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who would you want to coach Wake Basketball in 2019?

Who would you want as coach in 2019

• Total voters
Another reason to fire RW :)

Yeah, I think not having Wellman involved with our next bball hire would really be a positive. I just don't think he's going to be fired.

I just posted this on another thread, but I don't think Pat Kelsey to Wake would occur as long as Wellman is still the AD. There's just too much bad blood there. Which is too bad, because I think Kelsey would be a great option.

What is behind the bad blood? Just curious

What is behind the bad blood? Just curious

Firing Dino. Dino had just taken Wake to the second round of the NCAA tournament, after taking over the head coaching duties in an incredibly difficult situation. Almost everyone from the Prosser coaching tree (Gaudio, Battle, Corbean, Mack, Kelsey) thought that was a terrible move by Wellman. Some stuck around, some had already left, but it was a big negative to all those coaches.

Goddamn, let's do this. I love coaching searches. Make it happen, Ron! Don't fuck it up again, Ron!

This is Kelsey's 7th year at Winthrop. His defensive rankings for those 7 years are 245, 241, 191, 228, 103, 176 and currently 179.
I want a coach that can teach kids to play defense and the rather large sample size suggests he is not it.

This is Kelsey's 7th year at Winthrop. His defensive rankings for those 7 years are 245, 241, 191, 228, 103, 176 and currently 179.
I want a coach that can teach kids to play defense and the rather large sample size suggests he is not it.

Not a good sign. Wake has had enough coaches that don't care about defense.

Whoa, that's not good. Kelsey seems a little less appealing now.

Karma would send Frank Martin our way. Not my first choice but one I could live with.

Jeff [Redacted] is a defensive guru. Give me a leader and a motivator over an x & o guy any day in college basketball. Get good players to play as they are capable, and you’ll win a lot of games in CBB.

I know there are many defensive matrix but I'm curious which one this references? I looked at Winthrop's FG% defense over the last 3 years and they ranked 59th, 33rd, and 114th. The last 2 years they have been top 60 in the country while also being in the top 50 in scoring. That is an impressive combination.

Would be intrigued if we could get Nate Oats and have him swing a deal where he brings Patrick Beilein as Associate Head Coach. They both coach in upstate New York and probably know each other somehow. Would be a career advancing position for both of them (both would probably make more money from the move too), and would give us 2 great brains and player developers on the sideline. Would think that duo would be one of the better Head Coach-Associate Coach duos in the ACC.

I love this fun little Wake Forest tradition of searching for a new basketball coach every 4-5 years. It really brings us all together, like Hit the Bricks or Love Feast.

If you would’ve told me when I was at Wake that future Decembers would entail looking forward to bowl games and wondering when our historically lousy basketball team was going to get a new coach, I never would’ve believed you.

He’s not as young (no pun intended) as the guys on this list, but I have no idea why a bigger school has never poached Mike Young from Wofford. They just beat South Carolina by 20 in Columbia. Watched a lot of SoCon basketball before Davidson moved to the A-10, and in that time Young was the only coach in that league that I would put in the conversation with McKillop in terms of getting the most out of his talent. In the highlights of their win tonight, they showed the Terriers hitting a bunch of threes, but I guarantee the real story was the effort they played with defensively—I have never seen a Young team that didn’t play their asses off on that end.

I can't name anyone that I think should be the next head basketball coach, but I can describe the background and characteristics of the man that I think would make a good choice. I think he should be someone who:

1. Has devoted all or most of his adult life to coaching basketball at the college level.
2. Played basketball at the college level but probably was not a star player with long term pro potential.
3. Graduated from a school with reasonably high academic standards (say, USNews top 100 or higher).
4. Worked as an assistant under a few successful coaches.
5. Worked as an assistant at a few schools with good basketball traditions and helped to coach those teams to successful seasons.
6. Worked as a head coach at at least one and preferably more than one school at the Division I level and led those teams to some league championships and berths in the NCAA tournament without violating NCAA rules.
7. Has a track record of consistent success over the course of his career and has experience in rebuilding a basketball program.
8. Is under age 60 and preferably under age 50.
9. Is smart, poised, well-spoken, self-confident, outgoing and likable. He should interact well with the fans.
10. Has demonstrated good management skills during his career such as hiring smart, successful staff.

Here are a few characteristics that I think should be irrelevant in choosing a coach:

1. Race, color, national or regional origin, ancestry or religion. It doesn't matter where he grew up.
2. Any previous connection to Wake Forest or the ACC as a player or coach (might be nice but is not really important).
3. Gained fame as a player (having a long NBA career is a negative because those years are wasted with respect to learning how to coach).
4. Previous personal relationships with anyone at Wake Forest.

The coach should be given complete freedom to hire his own staff.

Somewhere out there are at least a few candidates who have such a background. It shouldn't be that hard to identify them.

Agree with all except we need to go younger. Preferably 40-45 as the top end. If you can hit all the point under 40 even better.

Good post, Bob. I agree with those.

Wants Prosser disciple.

Surprised he doesn’t coach defense.

Good point, but then again Gaudio was the best defensive coach we’ve had since Odom.

Back