• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who would you want to coach Wake Basketball in 2019?

Who would you want as coach in 2019

• Total voters
Sure. He helped UVa secure back-to-back 30 win seasons in years five and six, years in which he won B2B ACC regular season championships and an ACCT title.

Alls it's gonna take is one more year, guys, and DM will have us there!!!!

And getting to that level from where we are now takes at least half a decade, as Bennet has shown

So, by waiting a year to improve our coaching situation, we actually get closer to that goal. It all makes sense now.

Sure. He helped UVa secure back-to-back 30 win seasons in years five and six, years in which he won B2B ACC regular season championships and an ACCT title.

Alls it's gonna take is one more year, guys, and DM will have us there!!!!

Doubtful. Manning is not Bennett, and I’ve said multiple times that if Bennett wanted to come to Wake I’d help Manning pack his bags.

It's more attractive, but nothing to do with DM. It's all about the strength of the ACC and the clear path to making the NCAAT as long as you pick up a few scalps and are .500ish in the league.

Foundations are built on sand in CBB with all the transfers and turnover. A coach has no guarantees that dudes are gonna stick around when he takes a gig

Is this job more or less attractive than it was 4 years ago?

Good question.

The longer this period of bad basketball goes the worse off we are. The legacy of Tim Duncan and Chris Paul fade away. 3 horrible years out of 4 further solidifying Wake as a loser.

It is becoming harder to say it was just one bad coach. Now it is starting to look more like a down program rather than one bad hire.

If Manning coaches poorly again next year, the answer will be less attractive.

Good question.

The longer this period of bad basketball goes the worse off we are. The legacy of Tim Duncan and Chris Paul fade away. 3 horrible years out of 4 further solidifying Wake as a loser.

It is becoming harder to say it was just one bad coach. Now it is starting to look more like a down program rather than one bad hire.

If you were a coach, would you rather take over next years roster, or the 14-15 roster?

Good question.

And if it’s a worse job than 4 years ago, what makes you think Wellman will make a better hire

Is this job more or less attractive than it was 4 years ago?

More attractive in some ways, though that's certainly not evidence that Manning needs another year. The Wake job was more attractive after [name redacted] Y4 than Y1, but that wasn't a good reason to keep him around after Y2. So, maybe the stars align and Manning gets us to the tournament next year...then firing him looks absurd, even though his ceiling is still the same. Now we're stuck with the guy for another few years until we can fire him, while the job gets no more or less attractive. Or, he doesn't, and we fire him...at which point the job is likely less attractive than it is now. I think it's extremely unlikely that there's a scenario where Manning succeeds enough to make the job even significantly more attractive than it is now without succeeding just enough to keep the job. I fear stretching out a string of bubble years without any chance at actual success more than I fear the unknown of hiring another coach.

More attractive in some ways, though that's certainly not evidence that Manning needs another year. The Wake job was more attractive after [name redacted] Y4 than Y1, but that wasn't a good reason to keep him around after Y2. So, maybe the stars align and Manning gets us to the tournament next year...then firing him looks absurd, even though his ceiling is still the same. Now we're stuck with the guy for another few years until we can fire him, while the job gets no more or less attractive. Or, he doesn't, and we fire him...at which point the job is likely less attractive than it is now. I think it's extremely unlikely that there's a scenario where Manning succeeds enough to make the job even significantly more attractive than it is now without succeeding just enough to keep the job. I fear stretching out a string of bubble years without any chance at actual success more than I fear the unknown of hiring another coach.

No it wasn’t.

I just don't see a scenario where Wellman cans Manning. He'll get a fifth year and if we miss the NCAAs next year, then it's possible. But again, I don't trust Wellman to make the next hire.

i obviously disagree with your assessment of Manning’s ceiling, but so much else wrong with this post.

1. Taking over a program with a string of bubble appearances and underutilized talent is definitely more attractive than what we have now.

2. It’s not absurd to fire a coach after making the tournament. Teams do it all the time. It wasn’t absurd to fire Dino on its face. It’s absurd when you follow up that decision in a way that makes clear the AD doesn’t have known, consistent, and high expectations. Which brings me to my next point.

3. We’ve seen the worst case of a Wellman hire. I think the best case given the current circumstances is that he lands another Dino, in which case we still end up with your nightmare scenario with slightly more enjoyable seasons and a much longer time frame for pulling the trigger.

Even if I had your POV of Manning, I’d rather wait out Wellman and hope that the 16-17 season was a sign that Manning can at least give us a few fun seasons than risk another [Redacted]

If you were a coach, would you rather take over next years roster, or the 14-15 roster?

Not sure that it matters at all. There are already a number of transfers. A new coach may elicit even more transfers. The incoming recruits may well opt out if the coach they committed to was no longer there.

In today's basketball, specially at Wake, you cannot count on any roster being there.

I just don't see a scenario where Wellman cans Manning. He'll get a fifth year and if we miss the NCAAs next year, then it's possible. But again, I don't trust Wellman to make the next hire.

He did get Clawson right (unless that was all Buddie) so I have hope he might at the least accidentally get the next one right

Back