• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who would you want to coach Wake Basketball in 2019?

Who would you want as coach in 2019

• Total voters
At least Pat Kelsey would get his guys to call out picks in the backcourt.

Anybody but Danny Manning (a bit of an overstatement) chosen by anybody other than Ron Wellman (barely an overstatement).

I'd like a new coach in 2018. Right now any warm body would be an improvement.

This is treasonous, but I would advocate hiring someone who has coached under K. While I loathe Duke as a rival, anyone who has coached on his staff for a period of time will know a great deal about recruiting, preparation and in game coaching.

(Now I must take a shower)

Also down for Wes.

What’s a legitimate group of coaches who could be options next year IF Danny is gone?

Pay Kelsey?
Wes Miller?
Eric Musselman?
Steve Prohm?
Nate Oats?
Kevin Willard?
Ed Cooley?
Porter Moser?
Bob McKillop? (Old)
Rick Stansbury?

There’s a couple on that list I’d become physically aroused if we were able to get them

This is treasonous, but I would advocate hiring someone who has coached under K. While I loathe Duke as a rival, anyone who has coached on his staff for a period of time will know a great deal about recruiting, preparation and in game coaching.

If it would work, I’d have no problem with that.

The problem is there is a mountain of evidence that his coaching tree is meh, at best.

Also down for Wes.

What’s a legitimate group of coaches who could be options next year IF Danny is gone?

Pay Kelsey?
Wes Miller?
Eric Musselman?
Steve Prohm?
Nate Oats?
Kevin Willard?
Ed Cooley?
Porter Moser?
Bob McKillop? (Old)
Rick Stansbury?

There’s a couple on that list I’d become physically aroused if we were able to get them

Which ones?

Rather than starting another campaign to get our shitty coach fired, why don't we focus our energies on appealing (begging) other coaches to be open to coming to Wake when or if we come calling. I would be willing to start a campaign to attract Wes Miller. If it ever got as big as the BuzzOut campaign did our AD would have no choice but to consider Wes whenever we inevitably fire Manning.

Rather than starting another campaign to get our shitty coach fired, why don't we focus our energies on appealing (begging) other coaches to be open to coming to Wake when or if we come calling. I would be willing to start a campaign to attract Wes Miller. If it ever got as big as the BuzzOut campaign did our AD would have no choice but to consider Wes whenever we inevitably fire Manning.

Mostly because none of us are qualified to hire a head coach. Would prefer there to be an actual search than some public campaign.

Nate oats, Steve Prohm, Eric Musselman, and forgot to add Bobby Hurley.

With limited research those would be my top four realistic (I think) options

Not sure on Prohm (or Hurley), but intrigued by Oats. Musselman seems like a home run, but I feel like he has some baggage (forgetting specifics).

This might be rock bottom. Ron Wellman has put so many turds on the bench that our fan base is considering hiring a dukie.

They are now begging for Wes. I have been a pariah for daring to suggest him for a decade.

I dont see any way Manning is our coach next year. Some donors are getting impatient.

There's absolutely no comparison of resumes between Pat Kelsey and Hall of Fame Wes Miller:

Miller has never been an assistant at a PG school vs. Kelsey being an important coach at two P6 schools.

Obviously not being at a P6 school means Miller has never been a recruiter of top talent. Kelsey was successful recruiting at two P6 programs.

In seven years as a HC, Wes Miller is TWO games over .500. In six years, Kelsey is FIFTY games over .500.

In three of his seven years at UNC-G, Miller has come in sixth or worse in his conference and fifth another year. Kelsey has never come in as poorly as sixth and only his first year came in fifth.

Kelsey was successful at Wake.

This is a no contest.

Last edited:
Back