• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who would you want to coach Wake Basketball in 2019?

Who would you want as coach in 2019

• Total voters
Crean was my answer here. Checking in on UGA, they smoked Savannah State and lost a true road game in a squeaker vs. Temple.

Kelsey would be good but doubt if Wellman would go for it.

Crean was my answer here. Checking in on UGA, they smoked Savannah State and lost a true road game in a squeaker vs. Temple.

Such an obvious option.

Kelsey and Miller are strong options in different ways. Both have a connection to the school. I’m confident both are better coaches than Manning. And I’m confident both would improve with time, rather than our current situation.

I am not worried about recruiting. We play in the ACC. We’re a top 25 university with what are soon to be top notch facilities. Get someone who can coach the guys who are there, start winning, and that will solve itself.

We’re still on Wes Miller, eh?

Has he done anything noteworthy yet?

We’re still on Wes Miller, eh?

Has he done anything noteworthy yet?

He has built a pretty solid program at UNCG. It is now year 3 of them looking to be pretty good.

He is clearly a better bench coach than Manning.

I don't see anything in his personality or demeanor that would keep him from recruiting well at Wake.

Not to say he is the only candidate, but he should certainly be a candidate at this point.

But Kelsey has been more successful as a HC. In fewer years, at a similar school, Kelsey 50 games over .500 vs. Miller being 2 games over .500. Kelsey has a proven track record of recruiting at Wake and Xavier. Miller has never even been an assistant at a P6 school.

If DR hadn't been in love with posting undying fealty for Wes Miller for the past decade, this would be a no contest.

If it comes down to it, Wes Miller or Pat Kelsey.

If UMBC has another good year this year after having to replace their top two scorers, then Ryan Odom becomes a really attractive candidate. The turnaround there has been nothing short of amazing.

But Kelsey has been more successful as a HC. In fewer years, at a similar school, Kelsey 50 games over .500 vs. Miller being 2 games over .500. Kelsey has a proven track record of recruiting at Wake and Xavier. Miller has never even been an assistant at a P6 school.

If DR hadn't been in love with posting undying fealty for Wes Miller for the past decade, this would be a no contest.

True, but Winthrop was a more established program when Kelsey took over. They had made the big dance about 70% of the 10 years before he got the job. Fine with Kelsey too. I think either one would be a good pick.

Nate Oats... doesn't have regional ties like the other guys, but has the best results.

We don’t HAVE to hire someone with a Wake connection. I like Kelsey, but we should be able to do far better than Wes and Ryan Odom.

We don’t HAVE to hire someone with a Wake connection. I like Kelsey, but we should be able to do far better than Wes and Ryan Odom.

Both guys are 3-1. Miller has a close loss to #23 LSU.

Not sure that both guys would not be better than Wake has had in a long time. Wake is not getting a true top name guy at this point. Hiring young guys with a good track record is better than hiring a mediocre named retread.

I would argue that Wes Miller and Ryan Odom have a mediocre track record, not a good one.

I would argue that Wes Miller and Ryan Odom have a mediocre track record, not a good one.

Maybe thin but not mediocre. Odom in particular has a fantastic record with what he took over.

Someone who learned under Jay Wright might work well at Wake. Small private school that competes at the highest level, both for players and championships. Villanova academics are pretty good.

Back