• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Who would you want to coach Wake Basketball in 2019?

Who would you want as coach in 2019

• Total voters
Maybe the Celtics will continue to suck and we'll finally sign Stevens.

Yup. I'm still on the Kelsey train. I like the dude's energy and I think he is a good coach. He knows Wake and I think he would be a perfect fit considering the last two coaches.

Love Kelsey as well. Earl Grant would be a terrific hire. He wouldn't get a sniff of consideration, but Ritchie McKay at Liberty has done very well at Liberty with a no-name roster. McKay also has excellent understanding of the ACC, having spent 6 seasons as Associate Head Coach at University of Virginia under his good pal, Tony Bennett. Was very impressed with Liberty's ball movement on the road at Vanderbilt last week (a Vanderbilt squad that has tons more talent). And, of course, Liberty kicked our ass in Winston-Salem last year.

But it really doesn't matter, as Manning will likely remain at Wake next season. Has there been any speculation that Jaylen Hoard might want to spend the 2019-20 season at Wake just to have the chance to spend a year at Wake with his sister, Anaia? Or are Insiders certain that he is one and done?

I'd take Grant over HOF Wes Miller.

RJ, I just don't get the hate re. Wes Miller. There are others I might prefer more, but Miller is going to catch on with a better job, sooner than later. And he's only 35. Mark Few thinks he's a damn good coach.

RJ, I just don't get the hate re. Wes Miller. There are others I might prefer more, but Miller is going to catch on with a better job, sooner than later. And he's only 35. Mark Few thinks he's a damn good coach.

I don’t get the love for Miller. What has he accomplished?

It's not about "hate". I think there are many better options. In shorter periods of time, Grant and, especially Kelsey have done significantly better. Add to that, each has multiple years with P6 squads. Grant also has experience at Wichita State.

I don't get why Miller is so beloved. Through his first 7 seasons at UNC-G, he is TWO games over .500. I'm sorry that's not close to being good enough.

Kelsey is 50 over .500 in fewer years in a similar program. Grant is 21 games over .500 in four years at a similar program.

That's doesn't include other "name coaches" that may be available for the right price.

If it's about numbers, success and appropriate experience, wouldn't you say Miller falls far behind those two?

If it's about numbers, success and appropriate experience, wouldn't you say Miller falls far behind those two?

Yes, I would absolutely agree re. numbers. Still think he's going to land a good job ... and will be successful. I would be all in on Grant or Kelsey.

Yes, I would absolutely agree re. numbers. Still think he's going to land a good job ... and will be successful. I would be all in on Grant or Kelsey.

When you add numbers to no P6 experience, it's a no contest.

I think Miller needs to either take a better mid-major job or associate HC job at a high P6 school before he gets a decent P6 job. If he makes a run in The Dance this year, he could get an offer next Spring.

Love Kelsey as well. Earl Grant would be a terrific hire. He wouldn't get a sniff of consideration, but Ritchie McKay at Liberty has done very well at Liberty with a no-name roster. McKay also has excellent understanding of the ACC, having spent 6 seasons as Associate Head Coach at University of Virginia under his good pal, Tony Bennett. Was very impressed with Liberty's ball movement on the road at Vanderbilt last week (a Vanderbilt squad that has tons more talent). And, of course, Liberty kicked our ass in Winston-Salem last year.

But it really doesn't matter, as Manning will likely remain at Wake next season. Has there been any speculation that Jaylen Hoard might want to spend the 2019-20 season at Wake just to have the chance to spend a year at Wake with his sister, Anaia? Or are Insiders certain that he is one and done?

Earl Grant, (Charleston), Kelsey (Winthrop), Ritchie McKay (Liberty). I mean did someone slip some PCP in your mash potatoes yesterday? My have the once (semi) mighty have fallen.

I'd chop off a pinky for a guarantee that Pat Kelsey is our coach next year. Maybe both

I don’t get the love for Miller. What has he accomplished?

He is a young, smart coach whose teams place defense and play with passion. What else do you want.

the only mark I see against him is that he is DR's boy.

We could hire Mike or Andy Muse from the high school ranks right here in town and immediately be better.

I'd chop off a pinky for a guarantee that Pat Kelsey is our coach next year. Maybe both

I kind of like him, though I would prefer someone with major, high level experience. Give me Thad Matta.

I kind of like him, though I would prefer someone with major, high level experience. Give me Thad Matta.

Nobody with major high level experience is putting out this dumpster fire. Best case of those would be a retread whose best days are gone (Tom Cream).

Need someone young with enough energy to fight all the Wellman headwinds.

Top of the board's gotta be Musselman, right? He's got a top 10 program at fucking Nevada this year. That's insane. Plus he's got the NBA ties our AD seems to love.

After that, I kinda really dig Oats, just wish he had more experience recruiting at a high level. I'd go him or Bobby Hurley, I think.

Back