• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TV Teddy is out of NCAA, may retire

Not surprising when you put a 60 year old out there, trying to keep up with a bunch of top tier 20 year old athletes.

This is more on point. Unless you can pass some kind of a physical fitness test, no ref should be allowed to work past 50.

And this comes from a guy that used to ref high school games but quit 10 years ago at the age of 43.

TV teddy is a drama queen. And from an earlier post, it isn't that he has the guts to stand up to the home crowd and make a big call late in the game - he is just a prick who likes making the controversial calls, to draw attention to himself. If TV teddy wasn't reffing, he would working for the TSA, running his little power trips on passengers forced to endure him for 10 minutes as they go through security.

Yes, while he does like being in the spotlight, thus his nickname TV Teddy, he is absolutely one of the best officials in the country. I can't say I have particularly cared for all of his antics over the years, but I can tell you from watching the games from this type angle forever, he doesn't miss much. And then to hear what ACC supervisor of officials Bryan Kersey said last spring as TV Dave's guest at the Sportswriters Hall of Fame Awards media day, when he was going over how well his staff of ACC Tourney officials did last season as a whole, he pointed out that ONE official hit 100% of his calls in the final 4 minutes of games. And that was none other than TV Teddy. Put his antics aside, his concentration and play calling ability are phenomenal. But he had this little faux pas this year & can recover from it so if he just keeps quiet & out of the media, he will be fine next season. He does not want to give up netting over $200,000 of income from this great gig!

Yo THEREFF, are you an actual college basketball fereree? You sound very knowledgeable about the game and the innerwokings of what it takes to be a college basketball referee.

This is more on point. Unless you can pass some kind of a physical fitness test, no ref should be allowed to work past 50.

And this comes from a guy that used to ref high school games but quit 10 years ago at the age of 43.

That's total crap! These guys working are in great shape and there are 3 of them out there. If they are not in the best of shape these days, they will be weeded out and replaced by younger, fitter officials. Coaches at our level do not want a bunch of 35 year olds out there on the court calling their games just because they can run like deer. They want guys that can run & keep up, sure. But they want guys who know the rules, can control the games, and most of all manage all the situations that arise.

Yo THEREFF, are you an actual college basketball fereree? You sound very knowledgeable about the game and the innerwokings of what it takes to be a college basketball referee.

Yes, I was. Started in basketball in 1974 doing intramurals at Wake Forest, got into JV high school games as a junior at Wake. Varsity high school in 1980. Small college men's in 1986 after going to 2 of Barakat's 5 Star Camps at Pittsburgh & Radford in 85 & 86. MEAC men's staff, Carolinas Conference, Dixie, SAC-8 men's from 1986-1992. ACC women's staff from 1987-2004 [along with Atlantic 10, Southern, Colonial, Atlantic Sun & Big South women's staff]. I got out of college to watch my kids with all their high school activities & stayed doing high school basketball until 2014 when I had the first of 2 knee replacements, Now I observe officials for our local TBOA high school association and right reports to our Supervisor [who also happens to be an ACC football official]. I saw about 25 games plus saw officials who work at Danny Manning's team camp in the summer.

Yes, while he does like being in the spotlight, thus his nickname TV Teddy, he is absolutely one of the best officials in the country. I can't say I have particularly cared for all of his antics over the years, but I can tell you from watching the games from this type angle forever, he doesn't miss much. And then to hear what ACC supervisor of officials Bryan Kersey said last spring as TV Dave's guest at the Sportswriters Hall of Fame Awards media day, when he was going over how well his staff of ACC Tourney officials did last season as a whole, he pointed out that ONE official hit 100% of his calls in the final 4 minutes of games. And that was none other than TV Teddy. Put his antics aside, his concentration and play calling ability are phenomenal. But he had this little faux pas this year & can recover from it so if he just keeps quiet & out of the media, he will be fine next season. He does not want to give up netting over $200,000 of income from this great gig!

If supervisor the of ACC officials actually did say he was 100% correct on all of his calls (in the last 4 minutes of the entire season), then that is all you need to know about the ineptness of officiating in the ACC.

Barakat was the very worst.

It was not Barakat mind you. You are living so in the past in that he not only died a few years ago, there has been now 2 supervisors of officials since Fred--John Clougherty & now Bryan Kersey. But Kersey has followed Clougherty's lead and has all the conference game film's graded by a 4 man corp of NBA officials from what he said last spring at the both the NC Sportswriters HOF media day and also at our high school clinic in June at Danny Manning's team camp. They have been used used to not only seeing their own games graded for years but poring over game film. They are on the road so they get sent, online, game films from all the games. Plus Bryan Kersey has his own bank of films and goes to the ACC office to watch games. Question him if you want. I don't give a shit. Teddy V is one of the best out there and our group of officials--Covington, Jr, Eades, Nestor, Ayers, Valentine, Groover, Luckie, Comer, Jones, Heater & Styons. You see our top guys every year advance in the NCAA tourney so they are very highly thought of and highly rated.

1) I used the past tense
2) he *was* the worst. What the hell was he doing harassing wake students during a game? Completely and utterly unprofessional.

Back