• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

TV Teddy is out of NCAA, may retire

He's an ass clown, but God forbid he disrespect Joel Berry that way!

Not a huge Valentine fan, but he is/was never afraid to make a late game call against the home team (not a lot of reffs can say the same).

Article doesn't make it seem like he is retiring, just considering it. Not a big fan because the Wake games he has officiated have been atrocious.

If he will take Jamie unLuckie with him, I will host his retirement party.

So the NCAA had him out there reffing the 3rd Duke/NC game and then said no tourney for you due to something he did in the first Duke/NC game? NCAA always on point.

So the NCAA had him out there reffing the 3rd Duke/NC game and then said no tourney for you due to something he did in the first Duke/NC game? NCAA always on point.

NCAA has no input into regular season or conference tournament referee assignments. Also, the incident in question with Berry happened during the FSU/UNC game on January 3rd.

I'm pretty shocked by this move, but it seems like a bunch of different incidents had built up over time and this one was the final straw for the NCAA (at least for this year).

Never understood why some people think he's a good official. He's horrible. Just in the ACC tournament, my buddy and I were commenting a couple games he did on how incredibly late his whistle was (and often wrong). Loves making things about him and showing up coaches, players, and home fans. Basically the Joey Crawford of the NCAA.

TheReff's oatmeal got a little saltier this morning

Nah, he shouldn't have done what he did. The NCAA makes a point that way. Happened on the women's side a few years ago to a good buddy of mine who did not call a T on a coach while he was coming upcourt in the Trail position. He did not see her & the arena at MD was loud so he did not hear her. The official from across the floor had to come across & stick her with the T. They said he should have done it [no matter whether he could see it or hear it and a lot of stuffed shirts sitting at desks and have never been on the floor officiating are making a lot of these decisions at this level]. He just got to start his golf season a little earlier.

In the case of Teddy, if he wants to keep getting those $3500+ checks, he ought to keep his mouth shut right now & quit bellyaching publically because what he makes for the NCAA Tourney is nothing compared to the regular season. They get flat fees including travel during the regular season. For the NCAA 1st & 2nd round games, they might only make $1200, have to be there the night before and not leave till the morning after the game. Thus they are gone from work for 3 days. The NCAA pays for the travel & hotel themselves arranging for their tickets, etc, to & from the game sites for all 96 officials. If they are to work the 2nd round game, then they could be gone for up to 5 days. They also get a per diem for their meals but that is miniscule comparatively. Put that into regular season terms and if a TV Teddy were to be gone from Wed thru Sunday working ACC/Colonial/Atlantic 10 for Kersey & Big East for Cahill or whatever else he works, that could be $$12,000-$15,000 instead of around $3000 total for 2 games in the NCAA. Working the NCAA is just the honor of it & not the money.

Never understood why some people think he's a good official. He's horrible. Just in the ACC tournament, my buddy and I were commenting a couple games he did on how incredibly late his whistle was (and often wrong). Loves making things about him and showing up coaches, players, and home fans. Basically the Joey Crawford of the NCAA.

Not surprising when you put a 60 year old out there, trying to keep up with a bunch of top tier 20 year old athletes.

Nah, he shouldn't have done what he did. The NCAA makes a point that way. Happened on the women's side a few years ago to a good buddy of mine who did not call a T on a coach while he was coming upcourt in the Trail position. He did not see her & the arena at MD was loud so he did not hear her. The official from across the floor had to come across & stick her with the T. They said he should have done it [no matter whether he could see it or hear it and a lot of stuffed shirts sitting at desks and have never been on the floor officiating are making a lot of these decisions at this level]. He just got to start his golf season a little earlier.

In the case of Teddy, if he wants to keep getting those $3500+ checks, he ought to keep his mouth shut right now & quit bellyaching publically because what he makes for the NCAA Tourney is nothing compared to the regular season. They get flat fees including travel during the regular season. For the NCAA 1st & 2nd round games, they might only make $1200, have to be there the night before and not leave till the morning after the game. Thus they are gone from work for 3 days. The NCAA pays for the travel & hotel themselves arranging for their tickets, etc, to & from the game sites for all 96 officials. If they are to work the 2nd round game, then they could be gone for up to 5 days. They also get a per diem for their meals but that is miniscule comparatively. Put that into regular season terms and if a TV Teddy were to be gone from Wed thru Sunday working ACC/Colonial/Atlantic 10 for Kersey & Big East for Cahill or whatever else he works, that could be $$12,000-$15,000 instead of around $3000 total for 2 games in the NCAA. Working the NCAA is just the honor of it & not the money.

Yeah, why should the NCAA part with any of those BILLIONS to ensure the best refs are there? Maybe next year they will ask the refs to donate to the NCAA for the privilege to be on the court.

He’s no Sugar Man

That’s for sure

Spot on analysis. Screw TVT.

Good post Reff

TV teddy is a drama queen. And from an earlier post, it isn't that he has the guts to stand up to the home crowd and make a big call late in the game - he is just a prick who likes making the controversial calls, to draw attention to himself. If TV teddy wasn't reffing, he would working for the TSA, running his little power trips on passengers forced to endure him for 10 minutes as they go through security.

Back