• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donovan Mitchell Transferring

I don’t know about that. Many of the transfers have gone on to have solid college careers.

That’s still not a great look for the school that they transfer from... A lot of these guys become good enough to be the mid level and low end rotation players we needed them to become at Wake. After a certain point, losing entire classes to transfer, only to watch them thrive elsewhere (while we sit on 11-20 records) is pretty pathetic.

It was just a high school friend of his trying to get him to look at Nevada. Probably nothing.

I don’t know about that. Many of the transfers have gone on to have solid college careers.

That's not at all a complement to Wake or it's coaches. D1 quality players found it necessary to move on in order to reach their potential.

Back to Mitchell, from what I can tell he was one of the few players who didn't play like a complete dickhead, so I'm sad to see him go.

FWIW, I count 14 other D1 transfers announced since this thread started this afternoon.

Two from Vandy.

I wasn’t comparing us to Duke.

I’m just saying we’ve been losing players that weren’t going to help us anyway.

Agree that it is a bad look for past recruiting, though. Can’t be missing on this many players.

Disagree that a senior Mitchel would not help this team. I also disagree that Woods, should he transfer, would not be missed.

It seems strange that players are not good enough to be role players for a bad wake team end up helping someone else to the NCAA tournament.

Anyone doubt that Mitchel will see the NCAAT before a Wake Forest team will.

FWIW, I count 14 other D1 transfers announced since this thread started this afternoon.

Two from Vandy.

What's your point? Say what you want about transfers, but losing 3/4 players from a class where the remaining player is the associate head coach's kid is objectively bad. It's actually 4/5 if Woods transfers and we count him as a 2016 player.

What's your point? Say what you want about transfers, but losing 3/4 players from a class where the remaining player is the associate head coach's kid is objectively bad. It's actually 4/5 if Woods transfers and we count him as a 2016 player.

WOOF, 80% turnover should be a fireable offense.

Disagree that a senior Mitchel would not help this team. I also disagree that Woods, should he transfer, would not be missed.

It seems strange that players are not good enough to be role players for a bad wake team end up helping someone else to the NCAA tournament.

Woods will hurt if and when that happens. We could use his shooting next season.

Which players have gone elsewhere and played a significant role in getting to the NCAAs? Serious question, because I can’t think of any recent ones.

Derosiers? Chennault? Jones? Watson?

Woods will hurt if and when that happens. We could use his shooting next season.

Which players have gone elsewhere and played a significant role in getting to the NCAAs? Serious question, because I can’t think of any recent ones.

Derosiers? Chennault? Jones? Watson?

I mean, Chennault, Rountree and Desrosiers were rotation players on solid NCAA Tournament teams. Rondale is the 6th man on a Marshall team that made the tourney for the first time in forever. Fischer was a good starter for BYU. Cav didn't make the tourney, but he was the best player on a solid mid-major team. Moto didn't make it either, but he ended up being pretty good for Towson.

Chase Fischer definitely.

That’s a good one. He and Cavanaugh were the two I most hated to see leave over the last few years.

Fischer was meaningful for BYU his JR season when they went to the NCAAs and lost as an 11 seed.

He had a huge SR year when they went far in the NIT.

That's not at all a complement to Wake or it's coaches. D1 quality players found it necessary to move on in order to reach their potential.

Agreed. I never said differently.

I mean, Chennault, Rountree and Desrosiers were rotation players on solid NCAA Tournament teams. Rondale is the 6th man on a Marshall team that made the tourney for the first time in forever. Fischer was a good starter for BYU. Cav didn't make the tourney, but he was the best player on a solid mid-major team. Moto didn't make it either, but he ended up being pretty good for Towson.

That’s fair, but did any of those guys (outside of Cav) end up better than they were at Wake?

Rountree played decent minutes for Iona.
Watson is 6th man on a Marshall team that probably isn’t better than Wake was this year. He wouldn’t have played real minutes at Wake.
Chennault played very limited minutes at Nova.
Derosiers was pretty good at Providence... He’d have been a nice one to keep around, too.

I guess what I’m saying is we haven’t sucked because we lost any of those guys... We need/needed better players in front of them in order to be good. Ideally, they’d have been lower rotation guys guys at Wake, anyway.

Good for them for going to places that had better team success, but I don’t think Wake has suffered because of those transfers.

Yeah, I can’t argue against that. It’s not good.

My point was just that there are a shitload of transfers in college basketball.

Back